Chaosfruitbat

Rally racing

Hi, I am looking to join a local club that races 1/10 rally indoors on  carpet, and wondering what a good base chassis is to start with. I like to slowly upgrade, rather then buy the best outright. The cars are limited to silver can motors, but anything else goes. 

Thanks in advance for any replies.

For rally, here are some of the best candidates.

Tamiya:

- XV-01 - this was made especially for rally. Front engine layout.

- TT-02s - this is another kit popular for rallying. Although it will require you to upgrade many parts to make it perform better. The front suspension arm pops out the ball and stock all plastic steering is very lousy.

- DF-03ra - another popular kit made for rally. Mid engine layout

Traxxas:

- 4-Tec - a very sturdy and good performer out of the box. You'll just need to cut off some areas under the chassis to create more droop for rallying.

HPI:

- Sport 3 - Another good on-road car that can be easily converted to a rally version. 

• Like 2

I'd recommend any of the TT02 rally cars as a good starting point for club racing. They are cheap, fairly tough and parts are plentiful. My stock touring car started out as a TT02 Lacia Delta rally car. It got me 2nd place in our championship earlier this year. I run a Torque Tuned motor and 2s lipo. Stock spur gear and 21 tooth pinion. Yeah racing 55mm shocks. And the YR essential hop up kit. Except for the front uprights. They have no steering stops and tend to break cv shafts very easily if the front end gets knocked....which it will when racing. If you run standard dog bones with them they just keep falling out instead. So cv shafts and stock uprights are the way to go. Obviously full bearings and a steel pinion.

Hope this helps...Bromley.

• Like 2

Some of the cars which make excellent rally bashers are a bit overbuilt and therefore overweight for competitive racing - 4-Tec especially, XV-01 to a lesser extent. Unless your club runs a higher minimum weight -  1/10 touring racing is usually set to a minimum of 1350g or thereabouts. 4-Tec and XV01 are more like 1500-1700g ready to race.

Just about any decent 1/10 touring car will also make a good 1/10 rally car when fitted with longer stroke shocks and softer springs. You may need to modify some suspension parts (cut some plastic away) to allow the wheels to droop 20-30mm below the chassis. 

• Like 1

Rally can be rather hard on the chassis, so I prefer rugged and cheap over fancy and expensive. My rally chassis of choice is a very mildly modded TT-01.

+1 for TT02

And for keeping it stock / light at the outset

You’ll learn how good you are - and what needs upgrading - pretty quickly 👍

I have an XV-01 and a TT-02 rally.  The XV-01 will run circles around the TT all day.  The front mounted motor on the XV-01 gives it a huge advantage IMO.

• Like 3