Busdriver

glueing wheels

What type of glue do people use to glue tyres on. Superglue seems abit too permenant?

Many people use silicon sealant in place of glue.  It peals off with a little work...

Terry

• Like 2

Depends how hard you run your cars I guess. I use cheap CA/superglue as I want the tyres to stay on when they are spinning at 60kmh+ and the cheap stuff works just as well as the RC branded CA. The wheels usually end up rashed/kerbed by the time that the tyres need changing, so it doesn't bother me that I have to abrasively remove old glue from them. I cut and peel off as much old rubber as I can, then mount the wheel on an M4 bolt in a drill press and 'lathe' the remains off with files and sandpaper. Good quality wheels will last 3 or 4 sets of tyres before they crack or the lip gets to thin from 'latheing'.

If you're keeping it to low speeds a rubber glue might keep the tyres in place and be easier to clean off when changing tyres. Also consider bead-lock wheels.

• Like 1

Depends on what tyres you’ll be running / how hard

Rubber bands on some vintage kits will work admirably - with thanks to @markbt73

Tamiya rubber glue is otherwise a halfway house between CA and silicone sealant on intermediates - noting sealant strips when pushed in racing ... leaving a lost lap / time consuming mess 

CA on modern stuff is fine / not permanent - because it only anchors to the inner tyre bead / rims and comes away fairly easily with a firm grip 

• Like 1

Its for my Dynaheadish. The tyres are Austar and wheels are Unimog wheels. Not a lot of speed but quite alot of squsihing and side slipping across gradients. I think Ill try sealent first and see how I get on. By the way how do rubberbands work??

Rubber bands just seem to increase the diameter slightly but more importantly add a bit more friction (rubber on rubber instead of slick plastic) so less slipping

I use Zap PT-44 rubberised CA. It's all I now use as I'm done with tyres coming off - especially on the fast 1/8 scale stuff.

Easy to work with. Clean the wheel with a bit of acetone when tyre is in place, and bake in oven to release. No more cement, no more standard super glue, no more silicone glue, no more contact adhesive. I'm done with half measures.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DK308 said:

Zap PT-44

"ZAP-RT is extremely strong and flexible and coincidentally is perhaps the very best R/C Tire Glue on the market today. The clear formula will not mar chrome R/C tire rims."

https://robart.com/products/zap-rt-rubber-toughened-ca

Wow!  Thanks for the tip DK!  

Terry

I use Poundland's 8 tubes for a quid superglue, and run a full bead around each rim. They come off real easy 20-25 mins in a veg steamer.

Not sure how that would fare with vintage wheels though.

Look, if you are going to glue your tires, use glue made for it. All the tire companies make CA glue specifically formulated for RC tires. I personally like AKA premium tire glue, but Pro-Line and others make good glue. The best advice I can give is to use needle tips. You won't make a mess that way.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/sor-graphics-precision-ca-glue-tips-10-sorcatp10pk/p991018 

• Like 2

Here's a good video about removing the glue:

I bought a £2 tube from RCMart which works really well. Running a stock MF01X and the tyres were coming off the rims on every run. Now they stay firm. 

It came with a tiny needle to make applying the glue easy. I still managed to get a little bit on the edges of the tyre, and on my fingers. It’s sticky stuff!! 

I was initially worried about getting the tyres off again, but to be honest the M series rims seem to bashed up extremely easy when when doing general bashing, so I may just replace the rims too (they’re cheap enough, again from RCMart).

6 hours ago, Mahjik said:

Here's a good video about removing the glue:

Just be very careful using this method, it works perfectly as per the video on nylon wheels, but some Tamiya wheels are not nylon, and will melt in the acetone

• Like 2