TenzoR

Tamiya TXT-1 Torque Twist

Is the only way to resolve torque twist is to mount the dampers vertically? I've tried thicker damper oils, heavier springs, radio curves, esc curves. 

The TXT-1 current has a dual 55t motors with 19t pinion. I guess I can change the motors to silver cans.

Yes, mounting the dampers vertically is the best way to eliminate most of the torque twist. Tamiya did it on the TXT-2 and it gets away without sway bars even. I've done many of the things you did back in the past before I retired my TXT-1. I also pre-loaded one of the rear springs more and put foams in the front tires in an effort to get all four tires to stay on the ground. Some of it helped, but none of it made the twist go completely away. The TXT has massive gear reduction and carries a lot of that reduction in the center gear box which compounds the problem brought about by the lanky, plush suspension offered by the cantilever setup. Do make sure your zip ties are all the way "up" for maximum effect on your sway bars. 

Any motor setup with more speed and/or torque is going to make the problem worse. My 14.4v, twin 550 setup used to sail around the yard with one front wheel held higher all the time. Mounting the dampers conventionally gets them more direct, mechanical advantage over the forces of torque twist. This is aided by the lower mounting points being closer to the wheel in vertical mode, giving the dampers a wider "footprint" on the axle.

• Like 1

I guess I have no choice. Should I try 1/8th scale dampers for the vertical dampers? I have the TXT2 aluminum dampers on mine which to me seems kinda of small. 

I dunno. The TXT-2 I currently run just uses the stock CVA2 shocks and seems ok. I might go with something with more bling someday, but for now, the CVAs are working out ok, even if they are just a dull black plastic.

Thanks, I'll give it a try before shelling out more money. Somehow this truck is not as fun as the Lunchbox despite being so ...awesomely big

If you put a little speed to them, they get a bit more exciting. I run twin HPI Firebolts in mine on Nimh. They give more speed without destroying the driveline. One trick to the TXT is finding challenging terrain. On easy terrain, I can see the Lunch Box being more fun. Get into some rough dirt, like a construction site, and the TXT comes alive. It cool to see something that big tackle objects that would put a LB on its roof.