SuperChamp82

Vintage Bodies - Pin Protectors

Apologies if this has been answered before but what are you guys finding best to stop expensive, vintage shelf queen shells from being scratched by their body pins ?

I’ve read everything from tape to foam pads - but secretly wondered if using small rubber grommets (maybe from unused dampers ?) between the pin / shell would look best / align with contours ?

All thoughts welcome as ever 👍

Using O-rings is pretty common, but if you use Tamiya damper O-rings on the body posts, don't bother using the red ones. They don't cope with the stretching.

• Like 1

I used to use offcuts of polycarbonate bodies. I would just make a small disc (hole punch and cut a circle). 

Not very noticeable because it was clear, and easy to make. It was my original blackfoot that made me make them, as the whole bonnet had a the "stomping around" sticker and that would have been easily damaged by pins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, berman said:

I used to use offcuts of polycarbonate bodies. I would just make a small disc (hole punch and cut a circle). 

I use scraps of packaging that come with items with the clear molded packaging . I use a large hole punch  or cut a small square and then a smaller Draper hole punch for the centre . I sometimes paint the reverse of the disc to match the body shell colour , so when I put them down I can find them again ;)

• Like 1

Thanks guys - very much appreciated.

Are the packaging holes / Tamiya clear patches best suited to lexan ?

If so, thank you - that’s half the problem solved 👍

Re older stuff, I tend to think@Mokei Kagaku May be spot on re o rings - not least because it avoids any plastic / plastic boundary ? 

I usually use the clear areas between the stickers that come with the kit, I cut them into strips and stick them over the body hole in the same direction as the body clip slides through then slice a cross inside the body hole and push the ends in 

you can’t really see them as they are clear and they can be removed/changed easily. I don’t know how well they would last on runner with lots of use but for shelfers it’s free and to hand and works a treat

• Like 2