Benjimax

It's all your fault!

So, I'm a newbie and only joined a couple of weeks ago. I started with an XB RTR Super Fighter GR Violet Racer, and a Manta Ray kit.

But I kept reading the posts, my daughter likes building the kit, so NOW...

I've just added an Aqroshot and a Dual Ridge!

Help me! I think I'm addicted!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

It’s the Hotel California mate, you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave B):D

• Haha 5

Yep, that happens.  Once you start browsing showrooms and reading build threads you become convinced your life isn't complete until you have at least one of what everybody else has :D

• Haha 2

yep once your in you never get out:lol:.

what i will say is never watch a mateo video on u-tube i blame him for me buying my bruiser:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It is addictive for sure, a crack habit would be healthier on the wallet! Oh and as @topforceinsays definitely do not watch any of Matteo's movies...

They're brilliant , you'll spend a fortune 😁

• Haha 2

I didn't buy one for a while.  Come to think of it, not watching Matteo's videos was the reason! 

lol... thanks for reminding of whiskey at an AA meeting, @Grotty Otty...!  ;)

Now MF-01X started to look mighty delicious!!   

• Haha 2

And so it begins...

One thing you might want to do is research the different "platforms" available. Tamiya does a LOT of parts-bin engineering, and recycles the same chassis and chassis components for different cars. This is great for spare-parts compatibility between runners, but if you love building kits, you don't want to buy the latest-and-greatest and find out it's basically the same as a kit you built last year.

And once you get comfortable with the modern designs, do yourself a favor and look into the re-issues and vintage-style cars. Very different build experience, much higher parts count, and you can see how the designs evolved into the modern cars.

Welcome, have fun, and post photos! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies. I wanted a couple of 2WD and 4WD so my daughter and I can have a car each wherever we are, but also for them to have some differences in build, characteristics etc. Not dead-set on top speed at the mo - more for the enjoyment of it.

But it's worse than Pringles! I just can't stop looking at the online shops, and I'm going to visit my local RC shop on Friday. Don't tell my bank manager (or my wife).

Not sure what to get next - I like slightly left-field options, but happy to take recommendations!

• Haha 1

Hey...when you've done the buggy thing, there are the monster trucks, the trail trucks, the touring cars, the rally cars, the big rigs, the wheelie trucks.........just thought you ought to know.😁

• Haha 1

On a more serious note. If you need fun...get a couple of wheelie cars. Wild willy 2 or maybe a Lunch Box/Midnight Pumpkin. Or maybe a Blackfoot and a Monster Beetle. All great fun general bashers with lots of classic Tamiya charm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Benjimax said:

Thanks for all the replies. I wanted a couple of 2WD and 4WD so my daughter and I can have a car each wherever we are, but also for them to have some differences in build, characteristics etc. Not dead-set on top speed at the mo - more for the enjoyment of it.

But it's worse than Pringles! I just can't stop looking at the online shops, and I'm going to visit my local RC shop on Friday. Don't tell my bank manager (or my wife).

Not sure what to get next - I like slightly left-field options, but happy to take recommendations!

Beware all ye who enter:  Black Hole Sun's Tamiya Site

Edit: Also some lengthy articles on chassis history

Let us know when you file for bankruptcy...  :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Id definitely recommend adding some wheelie cars to the lift if you like to have fun.  I didn't really "get" them at first but once I started bashing with other people they started to make a lot of sense.

I'd personally go for a WR-02 and/or a GF-01 over the Pumpkin / Lunchbox - they're more fun to build, nicer to drive and more robust, IME, but either way if you're playing together you can't fail to have fun with wheelie cars.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Benjimax said:

a bit of advise on the wife front when you get a new rc just get her either  new pair of shoes or take her out or let her re-decorate treat her the same as you do your self 

that way you should stay out of the bad books;)

• Haha 2

That’s a bit sexist ;)

surely she can use her own money to buy her own shoes when she wants ;)

or you can do what I do is buy them when she goes away and hide them from her haha

JJ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/28/2019 at 6:11 AM, topforcein said:

a bit of advise on the wife front when you get a new rc just get her either  new pair of shoes or take her out or let her re-decorate treat her the same as you do your self 

that way you should stay out of the bad books;)

I do manual labor for Tamiya kits.  

Having the lawn mowed would cost us $120 a month.  I do it for the summer, and I get a kit or two instead.  It was a good deal for my wife... until she killed the lawn for the 3rd year...  

yP5bpAV.jpg

Since I don't want to be covered in herbicide, I said I'd boycott for 2 years.  It was green. Who cares if there are few clovers!?  This year, I'm really boycotting. (Covertly, she bought two 40 pound bags, she carried them home in secret, and sprayed the pellets all on her own.  And, she only succeeded in killing good grass...again. Crab grass and clovers are doing just fine. All the comical things she does...she's like a human version of some Anime character.)  

5PJl503.jpg

Anyway, by bartering labor, I ended up learning to solder copper pipes, replace planks on the floor, varnishing it, fixing furnace, build furniture. All to earn RC cars.  

The latest is the coffee table.  I said, "it's just some wood, why does it cost so much? If I build it myself, can I buy a kit?"  (I should've gotten more than a Konghead.  The structural backbone was harder to come up with. I even wire-brushed to get the grains out. It took too long to milk more kits out of this. At least, she is happy with the progress.)  

ilukFle.jpg

I recommend WR-02 chassis too, it's fun.  

If you have a flat surface to run, Dancing Rider and Dual Rider might be fun too.  From what I could tell, they are a bit unstable, but it is supposed to stand up when it falls down.  

6hml4Wz.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stop press!

Aqroshot arrived today in a battered box and resealed, and with ESC, dampers, motor and chassis missing!!

Thanks Amazon! 🤬🤬🤬

• Sad 2

Oh no, that’s not good.

If you want an Aqroshot, how about 

https://www.timetunnelmodels.com/live/catalog/tamiya-58610-aqroshot-stadium-truck-custom-without-dt03t-p-57202.html

Another thumbs up for the WR02, the Wild Willy 2 is a favourite of my son. Though he’s probably happier now he’s got his own - a second hand Dual Hunter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benjimax said:

Stop press!

Aqroshot arrived today in a battered box and resealed, and with ESC, dampers, motor and chassis missing!!

Thanks Amazon! 🤬🤬🤬

Don’t fill out the returns section

Use the contact us and then message an agent

they will give you the refund and let you keep it (potentially)

JJ

• Like 1