Sign in to follow this  
TDanny

Bearing grease question

Hi Guys,

I'm a bit confused so I need some help from you. A few days ago I bought some new bearings for my SW-01 LB Mini. They are KBS branded, a chinese manufacturer. and metal shielded.

So they arrived today and when I opened the box I felt a strong smell of machine grease. I wrote to the seller and asked that if it's safe for plastic. They replied that it must be fine but I'm a bit confused...

Would it be a good idea to wash them out or should I leave them the way they are? Have somebody used KBS bearings before?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel 

I wouldn't worry about it.  Wipe them off with a paper towel, and enjoy.  Virtually all ball bearings are shipped with some grease in them, and no one has ever posted here about plastics failing from using them.

• Like 1

Like Speedy said, I would just wipe it and use it.  There are impact caused cracks on steering knuckles.  If you are really worried a film of grease would weaken, use alcohol to wipe just outside.  Turn the bearing a few times, let some grease come out and wipe it again.  

I go nuts with bearings just because I love tinkering.  But it's really not necessary.  

hTxFz2o.jpg

There is a "C" ring locking the shield in place.  (Be careful opening it, the C-ring can fly into your eye)  I scrape off, I wash it in alcohol, and I reapply teflon grease.  

ENGukFD.jpg

As Topforce said, using the nozzle to spray WD40 would be 20 times quicker.  WD40 is technically not plastic safe either, but it's thinner, it's easier to wipe off, if it's internal bearings (like what I did in above photo).  

If the bearing is exposed to dirt, you would want to leave it thick. Thick grease keeps the dirt out.  

• Like 1

Thank you very much. I will wipe them with alcohol from the outside and leave them the way they are and we'll see... as small bearings are usually used in small machines like printers etc... they must be plastic safe...

The 630 bearings are so small that there is no chance to take the shield off and clean them out... I mean no chance for me :D

I'm sorry, I'm going to take back what I said.  If you wipe them with alcohol (and not apply new plastic-safe grease) they could rust.  

So you could 1) Just wipe them with paper towel.  2) use WD40. 

Petroleum based grease is still not plastic-safe.  But like Speedy said, it's rare that plastic parts crack by contacting small film of it.  

Oh, I ment I wipe them with alcohol only from the outside and then wipe them dry with paper towel. I usually grease all may axles and gears with Tamiya ceramic grease so they will be covered with some grease anyway... 

I looked after these bearings and the manufacturer stated that they are filled with a kind of lithium grease. As far as I know thats plastic safe. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

I use singer sewing machine oil on my bearings - it’s designed for high speed use 

JJ 

You are getting a nod of approval from my mom.  B) 

(FYI, I have a little bottle of bearing oil. It might just be sewing machine oil with some Teflon.)