ThunderDragonCy

Rallyists! What ride height are you running?

Having learnt a metric truckload about how sensitive on road cars are to suspension tuning, i feel the need to look again at RR-03RA (my rally car converted from a TRF201 if you don't know). I think i have the ride height too high. Now i have got to measuring it, it's higher than my race buggy (24mm on the rally car vs 19mm for the buggy). Given my touring car runs a whole 5mm, i get the feeling somewhere in between might be good. So, all you rallyists - XV01s, TT02s, DF03Ra, etc - what height are you running at for what surface? 

1 hour ago, Nicadraus said:

On my FF-03RR

9df1qxrh.jpg

Front: 22mm

Rear: 25mm

Are those values unloaded, or with droop, battery on board ready to run?

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Are those values unloaded, or with droop, battery on board ready to run?

That's full load. No droop. I have modified the chassis and removed the droop stopper.

• Thanks 1

Unweighted probably about 25mm on my xv01ld heavily modded. Sitting on the ground 12mm clearance. Heavy sway bars front and back. Without sway bars you can’t run this much sag without constantly grip rolling. 

This gives huge traction on rough ground, but also gives the huge drop down suspension travel over jumps, just like you see on real rally cars. On top of that, the extra travel means the dampers have to compress further on landings so you get more damper pack to improve bottom out resistance. 

Juls

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Juls1 said:

Unweighted probably about 25mm on my xv01ld heavily modded. Sitting on the ground 12mm clearance. Heavy sway bars front and back. Without sway bars you can’t run this much sag without constantly grip rolling. 

This gives huge traction on rough ground, but also gives the huge drop down suspension travel over jumps, just like you see on real rally cars. On top of that, the extra travel means the dampers have to compress further on landings so you get more damper pack to improve bottom out resistance. 

Juls

Interesting. I don't have a sway bar option due to it being based on a TRF201. I tried grafting on a front one but it just didn't work. I guess this will be a seriously limiting factor. 

I had it on blocks last night to check what static shock length i needed to build to get even ride height front to rear, and with easily achievable shock lengths with same stroke front and back it would be around 22mm fully extended. My aim was to set it up with about 15 (ish) mm ride height hence around 6-7mm droop each end, maybe restrict the droop on the rear a little somehow to minimise the weight transfer under braking. My touring car runs 5mm droop front and 3mm rear so i figures i need at least that much, but by restricting the droop a bit it will help keep the weight under control. I am not too concerned about scale looks or performance, just want it to handle tidily. 

Related question, what tyres do you run? 

Given your car is rear drive, rear motor you’ll most likely only need a bar on the back if at all. You’d only really add the rear sway bar if you needed to reduce rear grip or weight transfer. 

For off road I use rally block copy’s, the China ones tend to be way softer and gripper than the Tamiya units. I also use Austar tires 

https://www.lazada.com.ph/-i272559083-s397017325.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

but they are a little bit on the large side, can mean grinding off parts of your body. But they would well as a tire that goes on and off road, on some bitumen surface they make a realistic tyre screech which is nice. 

I’ve got a few sets of the mst rally tyre here, I think I’ll probably use them for shelf queens, but I reckon they’d work alright on a smoothing clay race track. 

• Like 1