Must be the time of the month!

So, sold an items on eBay, dispatched by Parcelforce 48 within two days of receiving funds. Parcelforce has signature and name of buyer. Buyer opened dispute saying he wasn't at home and hasn't received item.

Thoughts?

The question now is who signed for the item . If you named and addressed the item to your buyer as specified by ebay to gain seller protection , then the onus is on RM for not delivering to the correct address if no alternative recipient address was nominated mutually between you and the buyer via eBay , or the buyer should find out who in his house signed for it if it was delivered to the right house . I can't see that it's your problem if it was sent to the right person , right house . Once despatched correctly , it is out of your hands .

This exact scenario was covered in a consumer rights tv program, and the outcome was that the sender/seller is responsible for claiming back from RM and should refund or resend the item to the buyer asap. Furthermore a signature was not deemed as proof of delivery to the actual recipient.

Not a nice situation to be in, I've been on the other side where a tracked parcel (not signed for) was "delivered" according to an email from RM, the shop said it wasn't their responsibility, which it was, in the end Paypal refunded me.

Hope it works out for you.

I buy and sell on Ebay all the time. You have to remember Ebay's stance is the customer (buyer) is always right, They have that whole buyer satisfaction guarantee thing. Even if you were to have in your ad, "sold as is", or "no returns" pretty much goes against Ebay policy. They can, and will make you give refunds, or take an item back. I had a $400 1/8th scale buggy delivered to a buyer by UPS a few years ago, and left the package at the residence. He later claimed he never got it. I contacted UPS and they had the driver verify it was delivered, but it did not matter in Ebay's view. He still got a refund, and I was out the money, and buggy.

Seems it just comes down to pot luck then . Not much point Royal Mail etc offering signed for / tracked services and eBay policy demanding proof of postage , tracking etc if they're not prepared to to stand by it. They soon take the f.v. fees though .

I had this a while back as a customer, the item didn't arrive and when I checked the tracking, it had been delivered and signed for. The tracking gave the sorting depot different to ours, so it didn't look like it was even addressed to us.

Anyway, opened a dispute, and eBay favoured the seller, as it had been signed signed for, so we must have recieved it.

The seller should have been made to produce the post office printed receipt which will show the tracking number and the post code and door number , which would have been your door number and postcode , if in fact it was addressed to you in the first place and not just a mate of his .

All of this is why I don’t use Royal Mail any more, but rather use Hermes.

The service is a lot cheaper especially for parcels, but also they geo-tag the location at the point of delivery/signature which when combined with the option to ‘only deliver to the addressee’ gives me pretty much 100% peace of mind.

Also the only time I ever sent something by them & it got damaged, I was refunded within 48hrs for the entire item rather than just the part itself (they cracked the chassis on a Nissan King Cab), when similar happened with RM it went on for months & even with insurance they wouldn’t cover the full cost of replacing the broken parts. 

I too have been on receiving end of this from UKmail - an email pops up to say I have signed for a parcel at home during the day. I go onto the website and theres a scan of my supposed "signature". This is really odd as im not at home, I  am at work 45 miles away and my house is empty.

The item was never seen again.

This is fraud being comitted by the delivery drivers forging signatures and no action by the courier companies seems to be taken after. The drivers are either stealing the items or disposing of them probably because they cannot be bothered to get out the van and leave a card or redeliver the next day.

Fortunately i had bought something from a big store who did sort it out for me but for private buyers and sellers im not sure what can be done?

It doesn't help much with everything in the buyers favour , honest sellers are getting ripped off and it's all 'legal'  I see a downward spiral

• Like 1

I think that's the thing now with eBay, its now more geared towards the bigger sellers, the ones who can price in the odd lost parcel etc but eBay isn't good for the  smaller seller who is hurt when something goes wrong.

I've had similar issues as mentioned above as a buyer, where its said it was signed for but I never got it (that was with the "Global Shipping Program", in fact most of my issues have been within the global shipping program), and while eBay and Australia Post both said they'd help, they didn't in the end. So while eBay is geared heavily towards the buyer, if they can tick a box and get the dispute over and done with, they will regardless if its actually resolved the problem. Its also mainly why I'm hesitant to sell on eBay anymore.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

Its also mainly why I'm hesitant to sell on eBay anymore.

I can understand that . It's a sad state of affairs as back when it all started it was looked on a good thing , especially for Tamiya and other RC collectors to have access to parts to restore and keep these vintage cars going , but has now turned into a bit of a bad taste for some people and is being exploited by others .

8 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

The seller should have been made to produce the post office printed receipt which will show the tracking number and the post code and door number ,

Told we wouldn't be able to obtain that information?!?🤬

It was the guy at the post office that told us it was the wrong depot as the core was wrong for ours.

EBay wouldn't even entertain a responce after they favoured the seller and closed the case, just kept getting told it was settled.

It is called proof of postage , and the printed receipt detailing , door number , postcode , type of item ( large letter , parcel etc ) weight , posted before or after last collection and time and date of transaction is part of your 'contract' with RM ,and would need to be produced in the event of a claim either way  . I would have pursued it by telephone with either eBay or RM or both , as they are too quick to 'palm' you off . I've had many a haggle successfully settled with a phone call to 'straighten' things out

• Thanks 1

You only need proof of delivery to satisfy ebay. In fact, the proof of postage will get you nowhere in an item not received claim.

Tell the buyer to open a case and see what happens. Usually, ebay will automatically side with you or in some cases, perform a "no fault" refund where the buyer is refunded from ebay's coffers and not from you.

This is why I buy postage from within ebay because the tracking info is automatically added and can only apply to the address the buyer themselves entered into the ebay system. 

Thought I would update this now things moved on.

I refunded the buyer the full amount in the end and claimed on Parcelforce. After about two weeks I got a full refund of the Ebay selling price and postage from Parcelforce. No explanation, just a cheque.

• Like 2

I was on the receiving end of Ebay postage. the seller used eBay's Shutle (something like that) and they delivered the parcel to the wrong address on my works road

they should have deliver to M Company name, reception only, 4 West Bank Rd, instead they delivered to Stena Line, Terminal 4 West bank Road. TOTAL IDIOTS.

I requested proof of signature which took weeks and when it did come through no one of that name worked for my company. After a long battle I eventually was as a good will gesture given the cost back by PayPal as I had to open a claim with them after eBay dismissed one as it was signed for. 

2 months later the package was fond at the wrong address in their lost and found dept and they rang up my office and I went and collected it myself.

It was a large box of VINTAGE thundershot parts, including a bumper and couple of sets of wheel rims and many other parts which are now hard to come by. I did contact seller and tell him to also claim of eBay for at least the postage.

As such i always use Royal Mail or Parcel Force. Take photo of the package with label and after postage sticker is added and also the recpeit for the payment of the post and send all via eBay to the buyer.

i just love the sellers who use fake tracking info i have had 2 this past week alone. they never get updated even days after delivery.

then comes the ones that says posted and when they arrive the date stamp is a few days different that one really get my goat esp seeing if i win something it is always payed straight after sale end plus just recently the post has got real slow in delivery's for some reason i had one a few weeks ago took 2 weeks to arrive via 2nd class from within the uk.

i dont see any reason why something cant be posted next day after payment received.

i did have some new sealed rare 80s cassettes go missing thanks to hermess a couple of months back the seller could not get in touch with them and in the end i managed to contact them and they got back to me and said they where lost i sent the seller the email from them and she refunded me and side i have had a lot of stuff go missing but she still carry'd on useing  some people just love to throw money away.

when i sell anything i always use the post office with tracking 

14 hours ago, topforcein said:

i dont see any reason why something cant be posted next day after payment received

Some sellers may have work commitments , especially private sellers , so the seller pre-sets a 'will post within' so many days , could be 1 - 5 days or so , depending on when they can get to a post office . Some sellers may click 'despatched' to make the shipping time on their side look fast when they haven't even bothered to get out there  , or there has been a genuine delay in them getting to a post office and want to avoid a slap on the wrist from eBay for not posting on time . Some business sellers have large order flows so may takes time to depatch through their system

Also some items need some care and time to package properly and with work (cardboard or packing material shortage) may need a few days.

All my own listings have 2 days for that exact reason, esp if I have multiple auctions finishing on the same night, cant pack till I see if anyone wins 2 or more items and wants to combine postage (which they do as saves em money and me time packing them)

I use 3 day shipping on my listings and never had a problem. In the UK if an item is purchased after 12pm on a Saturday it is difficult to get it in the post till Monday and as a private seller I can't always just go to the Post Office. I have a system with my wife and she posts things for me but as I sell quite a bit we sometimes "batch" things a bit. Like today as I write this she is posting 5 items I sold over the weekend but I have just sold another this morning so that wont go till Wednesday in case I sell something else today or Tuesday.

Reading all of these posts it seems no matter if its parcelforce, Hermes, UKmail or any courier if we have any dishonest person in the chain something is going to go bad including workers that just don't do the job properly and buyers trying to pull a fast one! so you just can't blame one company! I've had yodel and Hermes were parcels have been badly damaged or just not delivered and parcelforce no problem! I've even posted parcelforce48 and it was at the recipient within 24hrs! Yet I've had stuff delivered by Hermes a few weeks ago and I got a text message saying you parcel was delivered through your letter box which was impossible because it was a full set of vintage sand scorcher front/back tyres & wheels the early one's in the white boxes when I got home it was on floating around a puddle of water next to my door:angry: :angry:  soaking wet when I looked on the doorbell camera their she was didn't even go down the steps just chucked it at the door and walked off obviously signed for it herself! And I've also had a boxed rough rider absolutely destroyed by yodel took me ages to find a mint one only to be smashed to bits by yodel they were obviously playing some sort of javelin competition and using my rough rider as a target because as it had a whole about two inches wide all the way through it to say I was angry was the understatement of the century!!!