Bwaaatch

Help needed identifying wheels and tires. SOLVED: Generic Chinese Lunchbox Slicks

I am planning a new look for my comical Grasshopper and aiming for something like this amazing beast from Blockhead Motors.

I’m mainly into this kind of wheel and tire combo.

Totally unsure what I should be searching for to find things like this. Stadium truck wheels? Short course? Or is it not that complicated?

In short, i’d Like large iadmatre wide wheels with matching slicks. Wondering if anyone could recommend options and advise if I need to worry about offset of anything like that?

cheers!

8ACB4FE9-F622-4C30-83ED-B9CC5FB05025.png

25 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

I fancied the chrome wheel / desert tyre combo

s-l1600.jpg

Nice.

do you think the adapters available on that page are mandatory? Feels like you need them, right?

1 hour ago, berman said:

Aren't those the same four? Am I missing something?

The ones in the first pic are slicks , the ones I was looking at are like the SRB Sandtires unlimited style but bigger . They offer different tyres and different wheels combos to choose from

Ok, all I was seeing was the same wheel sets with the four tyre options in both links, maybe it's because I am on my phone.

Hmmm... trying to fit these to the Comical Hornet and I’m confused. Perhaps I need another adapter of some kind?

i’ve got Two sets of the adapter from that eBay listing, but they only see the help me place a hub over the standard hex. The hub mounts in the back of the wheel, but only with a little friction. Putting the nit on does no good, as it doesn’t attach the hub to the wheel.

It seems like I’m missing some other piece to sand which the wheel between an adapter at the back and another at the front?

Anyone have experience with these? I feel like I’m missing something obvious!

bih pic show outside of wheel. First st pic has adapter next to wheel. Second show adapter in place, behind the wheel. But when I screw in the nut, I grips nothing but the adapter and the wheel falls right off... 🤔

thanks for any help!

9CBA2FA7-B446-4D32-BC51-F643B14C55FA.jpeg

A263AB28-F27B-420C-9F75-B8B0ACE33B6F.jpeg

just to confirm its this one on ebay right?

did you purchase the adapters separately or were they included with the wheels?

from the listing photo it seems the adapter set come in a tree? none of of the other bits useable?

9sKHrND.jpg

maybe flip the adapters and they go inside the wheel?  and it looks like its one of these provide your own fasteners jobbies...

btw thanks for being the guinea pig :P

35 minutes ago, MockTurtle said:

just to confirm its this one on ebay right?

did you purchase the adapters separately or were they included with the wheels?

from the listing photo it seems the adapter set come in a tree? none of of the other bits useable?

9sKHrND.jpg

maybe flip the adapters and they go inside the wheel?  and it looks like its one of these provide your own fasteners jobbies...

btw thanks for being the guinea pig :P

Yup, those are the adapters. You get two tees like that as one ‘set’. I have two sets, so four trees.

Only three of them have female hexes, so this obviously connect to the car. But there is no way to fit those THROUGH the wheel. And and kind of sandwiching attempt lead to an axle through that is too short.

There are 5 holes in all the adapters that would allow me to screw or bolt the adapter to the hub. But I’m sceptical because none were supplied.

@MockTurtle, looming agin at your eBay link and zooming in on the images, it does look like I need a screw and a bit.

will raid my mini 4wd stash for something appropriate, but I’m not gonna have 20 sets!

Ok, I got this fixed so sharing it for anyone who buys wheels like this.

The wheel adapters connect to the wheels with five little screws, which are not supplied with either the wheels or the adapter. I found the right size by by sifting through my box of spares. Turns out the little screws for attaching the power switch to the frame of my buggy were the right width, but 2mm too long.

I ended up buying some FTX Cap Head Hex Screws 2x8mm from modelsport. Couple of quid a bag, needed two bags. They are the right length for the specific adapter I wanted to use, but some other adapter had other fitments, for example they needed little nuts as well.

The screws I bought had a slightly larger hex fitting than the Alan key that fits Tamiya pinions, so I needed a set of Alan keys, too. My next jobs are to clean my hopper, start work on a new (shelf) shell and fit my new green pipe frame plastic bits.

Thanks for everyone’s input. Projects start to feel great once the wheels are on, right?

AE3A58E7-59B5-4BF4-BF29-A899347DFF3F.jpeg

01BF9A6C-2054-4B23-9BB4-73E71C967973.jpeg

• Like 4

On 10/23/2019 at 11:16 PM, Bwaaatch said:

AE3A58E7-59B5-4BF4-BF29-A899347DFF3F.jpeg

This looks great! Makes me want one of the comical series now.

2 hours ago, Apexape said:

Can the tires be fitted to the standard lunchbox wheels or are they pre glued? 

Seems like they are pre-glued. Gave the a pull ad didn't't get much give. I think they have foams in them, too.