Saito2

Cars you once enjoyed but now don't

Frog for me, bought an original one a few years ago.  I restored it, added bearings drove it a few times and then it sat and I sold it.

Lunchbox is fun and I loved it as a kid, I still love it now but I don't know why.  It just sit on the shelf

My 2nd car was a grasshopper back when I was a kid, so I got a Rising Fighter which is almost the same thing. 

But having driven it 2 times I sold it again, just did not live up to the dream.

My blazing star, to replace the manta ray I once had, will also be sold again.

I've found I've needed to drive a buggy for hours until it's been a real keeper!

• Like 2

Hotshot's disappointing suspension performance.  But looking back, the cleverness and coolness factor made it worth buying.  I still have it.  On packed dirt, it's okay.  

Wild Dagger.  2 motor 4WD was just boring to me.  Performance was good enough, but something about it was off.  Maybe 1 motor is slightly faster than the other?  Just doing what I tell it to do was boring?  I have taller shock towers.  But before installing them, I installed them on Konghead.  I'll probably get another set.  I also have a tachometer now, so I might try to match 2 motors that are similar in RPM.  

These two kinda turned me off on 4WD.  Though it might be their suspensions.  Wild Dagger chassis and internals are used in Wild Willy2 and I love that.  Wild Willy2 has smaller tires and the suspension travel is okay for its size.  Both Hotshot and Wild Dagger are better performing than the Grasshopper.  So, what made them disappointing?  It could be our expectations.  We expected them to perform 150% better, but they perform 120% better (as a matter of speech).  If I had expected them to perform worse than the Grasshopper, I'd have been blown away.  

There is nothing to be depressed about these.  This is how we enjoy RC.  Some like driving, some like painting, some like building.  You can't equally like everything about it.  I learned that I prefer 2WD.  (4WD is fine if the suspension works good).  I don't seem to care for high speed.  If you ask most people, they won't say, "I like painting driver faces."  But I do. 

Discovering cars you don't enjoy, means you know what to look for now.  That's a good thing.  Tamiya also keeps making new things like CC02, which we might like. (Unless we expect it to crawl up the ceiling).  If we expect CC02 to perform just like CC01, then we might be happy with it. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Hotshot's disappointing suspension performance.  But looking back, the cleverness and coolness factor made it worth buying.  I still have it.  On packed dirt, it's okay.  

Nooooooo! Don’t tell me that! I have one waiting for restoration. This is the one that fascinated me back in the day. I never had a Tamiya. Only a Taiyo Mini Hopper (I still have it).

42 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Wild Dagger.  2 motor 4WD was just boring to me.  Performance was good enough, but something about it was off.  Maybe 1 motor is slightly faster than the other?  Just doing what I tell it to do was boring? 

Noooooooo! I have three of this chassis!

I also have a WW2 and for smiles per £ or $ it has been the most value. The Dual Hunters are just good solid trucks for 5 years olds to mess about with.

As you say, nothing to be depressed about, we each make our own fun with this hobby. And much fun it is!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

Hotshot's disappointing suspension performance.  But looking back, the cleverness and coolness factor made it worth buying. 

There's something about how iconic the Hot Shot is that keeps one on my runner shelf. It looks fabulous of course, but I also try to keep it in context of its era while driving it. I remember it seeming so much more advanced than Tamiya's own Frog and far less crude than the old Dogfighters. Its a design that shows immaturity but also imagination. Give it the 4 shock Super Shot treatment (also iconic in my eyes) and I find it a solid performer. They have a certain solid, but complex nature about them that I like. Oddly, the other buggies in the series don't resonant with me as much, though I love them all.

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

Wild Dagger.  2 motor 4WD was just boring to me.  Performance was good enough, but something about it was off.

We've touched on this before and I know exactly what you mean. The most fun I had with the chassis was twin 15T motors on 8.4v with longer towers and larger Wheely King tires. It was potent enough to be entertaining but not so much that it would shred itself like a twin 550 14.4v configuration. Without some steering axis inclination or kickup, its not great in 2wd mode either. The dynamics are all off.

Its also conceivable that without enough power, its too stable. The unpredictability factor might be what adds fun to a Wild Willy 2 or Grasshopper. Handling quirks are what gives vehicles personality. I know how my Super Shot "feels"  and that it feels different than my Top Force or Thundershot.  A RC10B4 doesn't really drive any different than a TRF201. Both are boring outside of a race (which of course is their intended purpose anyway) to me, despite being excellent handlers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tamiya M03 - I hated the Tamiya M03. I hated the way it drove (FWD in a RC car is just wrong), I hated the way it would burn up a set of tires in minutes running a mild brushless system, I hated having to use a rocket pack. I did, however, love the look of it, so persisted with it for way longer than I should have. Still one of my favourite paint jobs I ever did on a car.

29039634111_9624b5f8a1_c.jpg.f1caab271420e8770f28943250a18f39.jpg

28497937653_5cd1d191b6_c.jpg.239f648d614b66058294607796206e16.jpg

12715156255_851da2d2da_c.jpg.1b32c09336dee80d70c6128aac16e763.jpg

I sold the car and a "beater" body with it, but kept the nice one with the intention of buying a Hobbyking mini 4wd kit for it, but that brings me on to my next 2 cars...

Hobbyking 1/16 Nitro Circus - this car was great, for about 90 seconds at a time. 4S, small car, mini E-Revo/HPI Savage Flux XS kind of thing, but made with the weakest components of any RC, ever. I sold this car, and the other car I bought from Hobbyking, the Hobbyking BZ444, and I will never buy another car from Hobbyking.

Traxxas E-Maxx - the first warning should have been that a guy at our local track gave me 2, one old chassis, one newer brushless, completely free. It was an interesting car, I loved the suspension, but the worst car to work on ever. So. Many. Screws. To be fair I converted the brushless one to have the twin brushed system, and it was reliable and not too fragile, but ultimately it had to go.

Traxxas 1/16 Slash and on-road variants - the 1/16 Slash is just terrible, it really is, and the wheel/tire combo is just the worst. The on-road variants were another beast - I actually enjoyed them but they were an annoying size, so bodies were limited, and the really high CoG meant that you couldn't give them too much grip or they'd roll in a heartbeat. I still regularly drive my brushless MERV and 4wd converted 1/16 Grave Digger, but the Slash and on-road variants are dead to me.

These are the cars I got rid of because I didn't enjoy them anymore - they became burdens, and I don't think that's good for the enjoyment of your hobby. I've sold many other cars, but not because I didn't like them, or I needed the money, mainly because they were duplicates of existing cars (multiple 1/10 Traxxas 2WDs), or parts supply became too much of an issue (**cough** HPI **cough** Vaterra **cough**).

29011458722_24ce4ed527_c.jpg

• Like 7

Super interesting thread going on here..

I almost want to start another and see what would be the complete opposite:  What cars did you think would be.. let's say "so-so" at best, but then find out were amazingly fun.  Perhaps some mods were needed or modern upgrades to spice up old-school design intent.

But, staying on-topic, I'd have to almost be blasphemous and say the Avante.  I mention this because My dad and I used to race around back in the late 80's and he had one.  It had a 10-turn motor as well.  I had a Losi JRX-Pro with a Reedy Pocket Rocket 17-turn and it was never ever competitive.  If he was able to hold a straight line long enough to take the lead, something eventually broke.  

• Like 2

I’m ruthless at selling anything that doesn’t give some element of enjoyment, so I now only have models I like to look at or hold some nostalgia or that I would enjoy running from time to time and so on.

The GF01 was probably the most disappointing purchase of over a 100 models from memory and the ORV chassis never honestly did anything for me either.

I had MB, Brats and multiple Blackfoots but I didn’t enjoy them enough to want to keep them,  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Hobbyking 1/16 Nitro Circus - this car was great, for about 90 seconds at a time. 4S, small car, mini E-Revo/HPI Savage Flux XS kind of thing, but made with the weakest components of any RC, ever. I sold this car, and the other car I bought from Hobbyking, the Hobbyking BZ444, and I will never buy another car from Hobbyking.

You got further than I did, I sold mine before I ran it. Just an awkward size and it didn't feel "fun" I understand the dislike for HK as there are a lot of lemons but they have had a few hits. I regret selling my SCT, drove the best out of any car I've had. 

3 hours ago, Killajb said:

Super interesting thread going on here..

I almost want to start another and see what would be the complete opposite:  What cars did you think would be.. let's say "so-so" at best, but then find out were amazingly fun.  Perhaps some mods were needed or modern upgrades to spice up old-school design intent.

But, staying on-topic, I'd have to almost be blasphemous and say the Avante.  I mention this because My dad and I used to race around back in the late 80's and he had one.  It had a 10-turn motor as well.  I had a Losi JRX-Pro with a Reedy Pocket Rocket 17-turn and it was never ever competitive.  If he was able to hold a straight line long enough to take the lead, something eventually broke.  

You've just upset the holy grail by mentioning in a don't like thread....THE AVANTE! :wub:unfortunately now you need to go to your local rc church (normally around the back of your local hobby shop) and ask for complete forgiveness for your sins-_-! Everyone knows the avante is bought and built purely to look at especially if you've had a bad day were did you get the idea to use it!

IMG_20150711_193534.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

The GF01 was probably the most disappointing purchase of over a 100 models from memory and the ORV chassis never honestly did anything for me either.

Interesting - the GF01 is so much fun! It's the silliness of the Lunchbox/Wild Willy but with a (slightly) better handling 4WD chassis... What didn't you like about it? 

Having further thought on this I have two candidates, not entirely out of love with, but just don't ever feel that need to take them out for a run.

Boomerang. I bought it second hand (original) to restore, which I duly did. Several things on the build were a PITA but I got it done.
Took it out and drove it, meh. It's good, not great. I feel like it could be fragile though.

Fox: I wanted one of these for the longest time. Always thought they were really cool. It's the re-re. Built it, ran it a couple times. Meh.
It's quite good in its own way, but not really idiosyncratic enough to be really interesting.

Maybe if I drive them a whole bunch more it will all click.

Aha!  But Moffman, this was back in the 80's when the sacred "holy grail" was  as not yet discovered to be what it is.  Hence..  mentioning my sentiments as relating to the OP's topic at the time of said opinion being indeed  a valid point.  Now.. had I mentioned CURRENTLY that I am disappointed in the Avante.. well.. fool me once, yeah?  Wait.. did I just indirectly insult the Avante?  ****, back to my LHS then!  I need to make a few er.. em.. purchases anyway.

• Haha 1

I really like to build, so I have a hard time enjoying RTRs. My Slash was the exception; I used to enjoy beating on something out in the yard and just not worrying about breaking it and finding parts. Now, I don't really enjoy running it and usually just use it as a loaner on bash days. My  bulldog bit up the body and I haven't even bothered painting a new one.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Interesting - the GF01 is so much fun! It's the silliness of the Lunchbox/Wild Willy but with a (slightly) better handling 4WD chassis... What didn't you like about it? 

I thought it was going to really good fun, but it was constantly going end over end and one of the ball ends kept coming out  of the front wishbone so a shock would regularly flap about. 

It was initially fun but then became irritating,  the shell was getting scuffed and I had to keep popping the shock back on. 

Everyone of my cars, in different moment, have been neglected but, well thinking, the car I do not want to drive/modify/upgrade is my FF03. I've wanted a FF since FF01, maybe it because cars became a little complex, but it's a car I wouldn't buy again... and if possible I sell.

6 hours ago, Killajb said:

Aha!  But Moffman, this was back in the 80's when the sacred "holy grail" was  as not yet discovered to be what it is.  Hence..  mentioning my sentiments as relating to the OP's topic at the time of said opinion being indeed  a valid point.  Now.. had I mentioned CURRENTLY that I am disappointed in the Avante.. well.. fool me once, yeah?  Wait.. did I just indirectly insult the Avante?  ****, back to my LHS then!  I need to make a few er.. em.. purchases anyway.

The hole you are digging is getting bigger (but don't drive an avante down it because it will probably break) oh.......looks like I'm off to church then!

On 12/18/2019 at 7:09 PM, Grumpy pants said:

I thought it was going to really good fun, but it was constantly going end over end and one of the ball ends kept coming out  of the front wishbone so a shock would regularly flap about. 

It was initially fun but then became irritating,  the shell was getting scuffed and I had to keep popping the shock back on. 

So the shock problem is an easy fix - I just put a small washer behind the head of the screw, it's never happened again. Shells are meant to get scuffed! Also, if it's rolling forward or backward too much turn down your braking/punch settings.

Or if it's all too hard, box it up and post it to me and I'll give it the love it needs!

On 12/17/2019 at 11:13 AM, Grumpy pants said:

for me the same with the gf-01 dumptruck, with more power then the stock motor al it did was wheelies, and it roll over all the time sideways and front flips rollovers, the hooks of the front of the body that holds it to the chassis pops out if you roll over the car. 

I sold the car.

For me no short base cars like the gf-01 wr-02

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, dannymulder said:

for me the same with the gf-01 dumptruck, with more power then the stock motor al it did was wheelies, and it roll over all the time sideways and front flips rollovers, the hooks of the front of the body that holds it to the chassis pops out if you roll over the car. 

I sold the car.

For me no short base cars like the gf-01 wr-02

I can see that happening. It would be annoying.  I think that's why Tamiya didn't release another hard body GF01.  Suzuki Jimny and Toyota are light lexan bodies.  

I had so much fun with Wild Willy2 (WR02), though.  I usually upgrade everything with Sport Tuned.  But I didn't do it for WW2.  I was afraid that it'd do a back-flip every time.  As a "stunt car," it is designed to be tippy.    

It gets caught in the tree root often, so I wanted 4WD (GF01).  You can't brake hard with RWD, but 4WD could.  With added weight in front, I was afraid that it'll do front-flips.  I solved the tree root problem with something like this.  Without diff-unloading, it is much more off-roady (is that a word?).  I'm still curious as to the gyro effect of front wheels rotating.  In my opinion, short wheelbased "stunt cars" are best in RWD.  

WZOHpm1.jpg

Z7gJ2Pm.jpg

I can honestly say this has never happened to me. Sure, there have been cars that have disappointed me in stock form, but that is what mods and hop-ups are for. I have yet to meet a Tamiya that I haven't been able to turn into something I like. 

Pardon the bump, but this is an interesting thread

I hate to say it but owning a Hornet made me grow out of the solid axle buggies. It took I think 2 runs? Before I ripped the wing off. And no I'm not going to buy an afternarket wing mount.

I still think the CW-01 trucks are neat, just not for me, expensive hard bodies mixed with awful handling.

I grew out of most "bashers" (Traxxas, etc), since now I like to tinker with adjustments and run my cars around makeshift tracks. Of course, some of those Traxxas bashers come with more adjustable bits than most entry level on-road stuff!

I've had...3 or 4 TT02s? I forget, the Type S genuinely does handle better (and really should just be the "default" kit), the B is a good starter buggy even if it can't really jump all that well.

I could never get the basic TT02 kits dialed in, terrible steering, and too much friction in the stock setup. I'm having better luck with an M05 and M06.

MF-01X: Despite Tamiyas marketing, I don't see this as a "rally" chassis. Its more of a touring car chassis that was hacked together from old designs.

At this point I've been looking at Tamiyas more novel models, for anything recent or more "serious" I look at other brands who offer more value.

Everyone has their take on the "plastic fantastic, shaft driven, no adjustments" touring car formula, ditto the "2WD Buggy" formula.  Not many have "front motor, belt driven touring car chassis", nor "six wheeled monster school bus".

• Like 3

For me it was the F104. Just never could get it sorted out and at the time I had one, nobody around was racing them so it was just a low slung toy that could rip in a straight line until it hit the dreaded invisible micro rock sending it launching. It looked cool but I really didn't have the right place to run one. 

• Like 2

Me and my son both had a King Blackfoot so we could drive together. Every single time we got out one of the trucks had a problem before a second battery was needed. This frustrated the badword out of us and even planted the seed that got my son out of doing anything rc. Sold them for less than I had spend on upgrades (esc's, bearings, cva's,...)

We replaced them with VXL 4x4 Stampedes and that was way better. Has been several years now my son has driven his. I still drive mine though.

The ones that are still around but that I'm bored with are a hopped-up DT-02 Sand Rover and a hopped-up DT-02 Sand Viper as well as a hopped-up DT-03 Aqroshot/Racing Fighter and an (you guessed it) hopped-up CC-01 with internal winch and factory finished Orange Unimog 406 body.

They just don't do me anything anymore 

• Sad 1