Saito2

Cars you once enjoyed but now don't

9 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Me and my son both had a King Blackfoot so we could drive together. Every single time we got out one of the trucks had a problem before a second battery was needed. This frustrated the badword out of us and even planted the seed that got my son out of doing anything rc. Sold them for less than I had spend on upgrades (esc's, bearings, cva's,...)

We replaced them with VXL 4x4 Stampedes and that was way better. Has been several years now my son has driven his. I still drive mine though.

If I have one pet peeve with Tamiya, it's the kits that I consider "undrivable", since they either have a flaw thats unfixable, or something that a newcomer may not catch and cause serious trouble.

Just as they get people into the hobby, problems like that can throw them out. I have my opinions on Traxxas, but they are almost always a safe bet if one wants a reliable RC.

• Like 2

Interesting thread bump, especially after 4 years!

Since I last contributed to this discussion, I've moved the following cars on because I no longer enjoyed them (I've moved on a few more, but that was due to duplication/upgrades):

• Traxxas X0-1 - this is a vehicle that really needs somewhere specific to run it. 160kph/100mph is not something you can do just anywhere, and when you do one small bump and it's a very expensive crash,
  • Traxxas MERV - I finally came to the conclusion that this car was the most fragile Traxxas I'd ever owned, and every run resulted in (very annoying) repairs,
  • Traxxas Summit - I have much better monster trucks, and much better crawlers. This seemed like a big, pointless waste of space,
  • HBX Devastator and ROC/FMS FJ Cruiser 1:18 - both of these are cheap, terrible Chinese micro scale crawlers, replaced by far superior Kyosho Mini Z 4x4s and a Traxxas TRX-4M, and
  • MST MS-01D - this one was probably more a result of Covid lockdowns, and the drift place closed. Any drifting now is just done with a TT-01, which isn't as good but will cope with carpark drifting much better.

I haven't fallen out of love with any of my Tamiyas though!

• Like 2