LeftyAl

Speedway / Sprint Cars

Late September/early October I take my family to visit my brother in law for a week. He and I spend almost all of our time fixing, tuning, building sprint cars to race on this "track".... errrrrr driveway. We bough a heap of Himoto 2WD buggies off ebay for steal a while back. They are an AE RC10 B4 clone and surprisingly tough for what we do with them. Last year we had 20 cars on race night and I so far we are expecting 27+ for the next round in October. 

We start with this:

1508128762517290669816.jpg.6791fa1dfa35c51782ffbc84cf50079c.jpg

and after replacing the motor, esc, installing the metal diff option, replace the front wheels with buggy rears and the rears with 2.2" Truck wheels and a sprint car body we have this:

1277995055_Samsingphone20183166.thumb.jpg.18e42ee53925cc974c5c97c70a76a059.jpg

This year we are putting in a timing system to stop the arguments over laps/lap times . Have also got some SCT wheels/tyres to test out and just ordered some DE Racing Outlaw sprint car rear wheels/tyres so they should get pretty close to the 1:1 scale

This year we will have the first nitro car (see my nitro thread) so that will add some entertainment for the night.  The only rules are the car must be 2WD (rear) and have a sprint car body. It is surprisingly close racing considering we have cars with stock brushed motors/ ESC all the way to wild brushless set ups.The BL cars can do wheelies down the straights. Traction is king and the winning car is not always the fastest car.  In order to win, you must survive the carnage and stay on the track. We start on a Wednesday with a really slippery track, but by Friday night the track have firmed up a fair bit. We start around 9am and only leave the track for food or supplies. At sundown the track lights come on and we go until the batteries are flat or when the kids have had enough.

This is a common sight:

Attach16874_20171002_111458.jpg.8e16137bab64550620051e0f4ef2a2e6.jpg

Green car on the right is an original Kyosho Javelin. It has been modded to within an inch of it's life:

Attach16870_20171002_111458.jpg.8a8ce8f7faac3b4783a66b9aad405501.jpg

Kyosho driver is a bit crazy. Thankfully the fence caught him:

1172723685_HumptyFence.jpg.8a64da4e6f6d3bed3aadbef614ded7de.jpg

We have some cars cutting demo laps in between races: original Kyosho Javelin, Tamiya Bruiser, FAV, Super Hornet, Frog, HPI Savage XS and of all things a WW2 tank!!!! Was a pretty long lap though. This year we will have some nitro cars and a 1/5 Baja which absolutely dwarfs the 1/10 cars.

I tend to start prepping cars (I take 3 racing buggies), plus demo lap cars around June. Lots of ebay searching and testing to be done. The BS talk tends to start at the same time with plenty of texts, emails and phone calls. At the end of the night we have a last man standing all in brawl, then do some repairs and do it again. 20 cars on the track is a bit wild and you want to make sure you are not at ground level.

I'll be getting a GoPro for the next round in October to hopefully catch as many of the crashes as possible.I'll start a new thread when I get to the track and do a day by day update. Might need to sort some more pic storage before hand

The end result of all this madness for the winning driver.... is a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken's finest and a big tin of peaches ( BIL and I are die hard Deadwood fans).

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Grotty Otty said:

That looks ace!

*Goes off to utube to watch what Sprint car racing is all about!.. 

In the UK its called Stock Car racing (not to be confused with NASCAR). I have seen it for real a few times. If you have a dirt oval not far from you it is well worth a trip. They usually have banger racing and superstocks on the same bill. 

• Thanks 1

Seeing the 1:1 cars is an experience you need to do if given the opportunity. We go every new years eve and have a blast. TV/YouTube does not do the sport justice, you need to be there trying to watch 4 corners at once as clay is being sprayed onto the spectators. The sound of a field of those cars  at full noise is an assault on your senses, you can feel it in your chest.

• Like 2

Got some Proline Slide Job rear buggy wheels, mounted onto Street Rover front wheels. Rears will be Proline Calibres on SCT wheels.

20190903_150245.thumb.jpg.aa6e16b6f5ba82fcf1de39344a7ddb29.jpg

hello

heres my go taiyo outlaw body on grasshopper chassis.

20190903_135457[1].jpg

• Like 2

Was sorting some photos and found this from last year. My cars (middle of the pic) are numbers 11 (KTM orange and black),12 (Reese's orange and yellow)  and 13 (pink and white). This year am getting a new body painted up in Marlboro red and white (number 14... I am a little predictable), the KTM body will be mounted on a nitro chassis. Only 4 weeks out till we start.

s-l1600 -3.jpg

• Like 2