Sign in to follow this  
tamiya_1971

Cracked Lunch Box Body

My fantastic post office delivered a fresh, cracked Lunch Box shell to me last week.

I'm getting refunded thankfully and was not asked for the body to be returned. It was, and is, going to be a runner body and I wasn't planning on putting in a windshield. With the crack the way it is, should I put in a windshield to keep this from further cracking or would it make any difference at all?

339HTwj.jpg

wrRMu4a.jpg

• Sad 1

if you wasn't bothering to put a screen in it to start with then don't bother now if you are worried about the crack getting worse well as it's a lunchbox it will esp if youplan on bashing it.

you can always strengthen behind and inbetween the crack with a epoxy glue before paint wrap a load of strong tape around the shell while the glue drys to keep the shape 

it dont really matter what happens to the shell seeing it was free 

• Like 2

Yes, if it's free, why worry about it?  I'd just run it and roll it around.  

But the screw goes on the outer side of the crack, isn't it?  Structurally, windscreen would help. 

If you want to bother with it, glue the crack with plastic glue like Plastic weld.  If there is enough room between windscreen, you can glue a thin sheet of styrene on the underside of the crack for strength. 

You can also glue a long styrene beam between the two ends of "C" of the wind screen.  That could help it in such a way that the wind screen itself won't spread apart.  I don't think it would flex that much though. (I'd do all these things only because I like needlessly tinkering with things)  

1SfHMVi.jpg

• Like 2

Good suggestions. Thank you both! I'll go with the epoxy and/or plastic weld suggestions (maybe add the styrene). I'll end up slowly destroying the body anyway. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Remember to drill a hole at the end of the crack, that way it's less likely the crack will spread any further.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, KILLorBE said:

Remember to drill a hole at the end of the crack, that way it's less likely the crack will spread any further.

Oh, I remember hearing about that for the Liberty bell in Philadelphia.  

If you have plastic glue like "Plastruct Plastic Weld," you wouldn't want any gap.  This is not sticking glue like super glue. It's a dissolver.  It basically melts the plastic. So it ends up sticking together.  If you are not going to glue, drilling a hole would be a good idea.  

eUX2Shz.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KILLorBE said:

If you ever saw me drill a hole, you would re-think this advice. :D

• Haha 3

if you have ever watched wheeler dealers ....the one where if i can remember edd has to repair the front bumper on a bmw you will know what we mean by drilling a hole at the end of the crack

at around the 1 min mark you will see;)

• Like 2

Another option can be to plastic weld it with a soldering iron and some scrap plastic as a filler. I have plastic welded a WW2 bumper and so far it is still in one piece. Haven't done to to a body yet, so may need some scrap to taste with.

• Like 1