Sign in to follow this  
lowspot

Lowspot's Super GT Series - TA05 Weider HSV

The other car TB-02R is still on my workbench but the build is almost complete and I'm actually only waiting for the body kit and the wheels, so time to find a new project. I have spottet a TA-05 Ver. II Weider HSV 010. The body kit is on my watch list for a long time, I'm only not a fan of belt driven chassis, I'm more a TB type of person :-) but this one was too good to let it go. This one is my 3rd Super GT car now and since I have done a bit of a research, I think the chassis is not as bad as I thought it is :-) 

Here are the first pictures, Tires are glued but I have a brand new set of exactly these ones and apart from that it is in quite good condition. I'm trying to keep it as original as possible but the nice blue and carbon parts are simply looking too good on it, so let's see.

koveg3uw.jpg

a3rzvxqs.jpg

2mr3e9ge.jpg

kothf8xn.jpg

I'll strip it down and then see which parts are required for my setup. At least carbon damper stays and other damper and some other stuff . . .  did I mention that I'll keep it original? ..... LOL

• Like 2

Nice!  Even though the TA05 is an older chassis, mid-motor/equal belts are back in vogue again.  There are conversions now available for high-end race chassis to replicate the layout of the TA05, and 3Racing has announced a similar layout for their next Advance chassis.  What's old is new again.

Enjoy!

Thanks, I ve just noticed that there are heaps of TA05 chassis types available, holy molly. Can't wait to start the build

WOW, seems to be great runner. That was the initial reason why I have bought it. All my cars are modified to death and I can't really drive them anymore - too nice to drive :-) but this one is gone be my racer. Thanks for the Link !

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 3:47 PM, speedy_w_beans said:

What's old is new again.

Like ripped jeans?

This one was a carpet racer and heavily used. Pretty much all screws were loose or on the wrong position.

As always, disassemble and see whether there is something is broken. Well there were a few issues with overtightened threads but thanks to the reversible swing-arms, that was an easy fix. 

I'm pretty happy with the condition of the car. 

axmqpaww.jpg

z9cqu6x5.jpg

I was a bit confused by the synthetic rubber cement but I have simply used shoe goo and it works fine. Never seen before for a ball differential.

5om2l2jl.jpg

3jfd7wef.jpg

all went together quite easy and apart from a few spacers, the car ist stock.

ah6e8m5g.jpg

bprs8bxw.jpg

o7bn6kg5.jpg

f8cqi249.jpg

nptjvbny.jpg

This is the status quo for today. The body kit was pre cut by the former owner and to my surprise the holes are on the right position.

With new wheels & tires it looks quite good. I have ordered 26mm HPI TE37 rims but these ones are ok for the moment. 

It all works fine now and I'm waiting for my new setup station which i have ordered yesterday. I have never used one before. 

I might need help and ask you guys :-) anyway, I'll clean the body kit as my last task for today and prepare the colour & masking for tomorrow.

8wkw8383.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/5/2019 at 10:46 AM, speedy_w_beans said:

You might find this handy:

There is actually something not quite right

The ball bearings for the TA05 Ver. 2 are 950 bearings for front/rear uprights, not 1050.

Same goes on my TB02-r which uses the same TA05 swings and uprights as a Hop Up.

Look at steps 7 and 14 in this TA05V2 manual:  here

I see 1050 bearings in the front and rear uprights.

Steps 9 and 15 in the TA05-IFS manual show 950 bearings:  here

Do you have a mix of TA05V2 and TA05IFS parts in the same chassis?

You are right, seems to be a mix indeed. I'm using the lightweight reversible suspension for the TB02-r as well. It fits for TA05 and TB02  and there are 950 bearings used. That's interesting. Haven't looked in the manual. Thanks for clarifying !

If you are keeping the CVA dampers and this is a runner/racer i can highly recommend switching to Tamiya red o rings for the piston rods, and TRF pistons 53573. Really improves the performance of these dampers. 

• Like 1

Applying decals is almost a spiritual experience for me, I love it ! These ones were actually quite easy in comparison to the other NSX. They are pre-cut.

a4prb55c.jpg

The 26mm tires are only to display the model. I'm using the 24mm rims & reinforces slicks type A with green inlays.

The rest is stock and I'll keep it for the first runs. The damper update is coming in a few weeks but I like to know how it handles out of box first

9hqb8i9h.jpg

uqfh3vbu.jpg

9mb4zzlp.jpg

The electric is on its way, the motor is a new silver can + 1060HW ESC on 2S and we should get better weather next weekend :-)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

If you are keeping the CVA dampers and this is a runner/racer i can highly recommend switching to Tamiya red o rings for the piston rods, and TRF pistons 53573. Really improves the performance of these dampers. 

I use a set of TB05 pro dampers at a later stage, they are spare but I want to find out how big the improvement is first and give it a go with the stock dampers:-)

• Like 1

I have changed to form tires, they are more suitable for car park bashing and they have more diameter that gives the chassis a bit more ground clearance.

Setup is pretty basic, 1060 Hobbywing ESC and the stock silver can from my new Toyota Hybrid Gazoo Racing 050

I think I have to tighten the differentials far more than I have it the moment. Tomorrow morning is setup with my new station (never done before) 

and in the afternoon first time racing - how exciting :-D

trb6dulb.jpg

• Like 1