junkmunki

58008 Countach restoration

I've been watching with interest the builds and restorations on the TC furums, and as a long time restorer of vintage Tamiya, i thought i post up a thread so you could follow the progress of my latest project.

I recently purchased another collection locally and in it was this rather sad and battered Countach competition special. The body was sound but very dirty, and the chassis was bent like it had been stepped on.

All of my restorations are done to box art spec, but on this one, i'm going base it on Walter Wolfe's Bugatti blue car that he had made for him.

So, the story starts...

DSC_5358.JPG

DSC_5359.JPG

DSC_5364.JPG

• Like 1

I was really fortunate in stripping it down, the original glue had not set hard, so i was able to remove all of the plastic part without a single breakage. The windscreen was already broken in two, so i will have to find a replacement.

It took sometime to pick all the old glue off and scrub the years of thick dust of with a toothbrush....

DSC_5367.JPG

DSC_5390.JPG

DSC_5393.JPG

DSC_5394.JPG

• Like 2

The body is in fantastic condition with just a crack in the front wing to repair.

I have been experimenting with different base colours in order to get the right shade of blue, there is no direct comparison to Bugatti blue in Tamiya paint.

More to follow soon...

Is that a painted polycarbonate body or "hard plastic" I assuming hard. If that had been lexan the chance of doing what I hope you are would have been much harder

12 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Is that a painted polycarbonate body or "hard plastic" I assuming hard. If that had been lexan the chance of doing what I hope you are would have been much harder

The body is hard abs plastic. The was no way it would have come apart so easily if it had been lexan