Sign in to follow this  
The Twingo Lord

Why is the clodbuster so big?

It is pretty much the right size for a 1/10 scale monster truck - the oversize wheels and tyres are about right for trucks of this type.

• Like 1

It has to be - any smaller and it couldn't contain all that awesome.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Clodbuster 

Overall length: 480 mm Overall width: 360 mm Overall height: 340 mm Wheelbase: 270 mm Tread/track front: 270 mm Tread/track rear: 270 mm  Weight: 4.35 kg

Terra crusher
Total length: 560mm Total width: 440mm Total height: 285mm Wheelbase: 360mm Weight fully equipped: 5.7kg Tread (f/r): both 326mm

Dump truck
Overall length: 525mm Overall width: 295mm Overall height: 300mm Wheelbase: 280mm Tread (front and rear): 234mm

TXT1
Overall length: 510mm, Overall width: 385mm, Overall height: 297mm Minimum clearance: 49mm Weight fully equipped: 5,010g
Wheel base: 330mm Tread (front and rear): 280mm

Juggernaut
Overall length: 483mm Overall width: 372mm Minimum clearance: 58mm Weight fully equipped: 5,200g Wheelbase: 280mm Tread (front and rear): 272mm

Because it takes a big truck to bust clods. Honestly, it probably goes back to the era it came from as well as Tamiya's desire to replicate full size trucks. @Tamiyabigstuff is right. The Clod is the proper size while the other trucks are undersized. In the earlier days, before racing trucks, conversion trucks and stadium trucks, the draw was to have the biggest, baddest, toughest truck. Those were selling points and bragging rights, particularly if you read the ads back then. Other "big" tracks existed like the Big Grizzly and High Roller but they weren't "tough" or "bad" (well, they actually were bad, just not in the good way). The Clod came out and set the standard. It was big, tough and durable plus relatively quick and powerful. It remained the gold standard for many years, really only fading when the Maxx era hit (although that's a whole different type of truck to me).

• Like 3

I know my Marui Big Bear, which is similar in scale size as a Lunchbox,  is indeed advertised as 1:12 size, not 1/10.
So a proper 1/10 monster truck should indeed be bigger compared to a bear/box.  ^_^

And offcourse, the clod body sits very high (a little too high for my personal taste) on the chassis, giving it that much more impressive stance.

Very happy with my Bullheadclod Big Bear's scaling, it is a much more impressive beast compared to the original Big Bear. And my 12 year old self was already impressed with the original bear back in the days. :lol:

22Ndncb.jpg

• Like 1

The clod buster is a proper c1/10 scale monster truck based off the classic 80s ones that inspired it when it was designed. The others are off road trucks but not the same 'full monster truck'.

TXT 1&2 are the modern era ladder frame monster trucks circa & post 2000. 

Juggernaut 1&2 were the late 90s era ones. 

9 hours ago, Prescient said:

TXT 1&2 are the modern era ladder frame monster trucks circa & post 2000. 

Juggernaut 1&2 were the late 90s era ones. 

I agree with the first part but I'm sorry, as a monster truck fanatic, I'm going to have disagree with the last two statements. The Jugg 1/2 were very much late mid/late 80's monsters with bouncy, leaf spring suspension. Bigfoot 8 was the turning point. It was the first truck relying on the tube frame/cantilever suspension setup for a drastic increase in suspension travel and it came out in 1989. It was actually banned for a while until the other trucks could catch up technology-wise. The TXT-1 mimics these trucks leading into the early '90s. Eventually, with the advent of longer travel shocks, cantilevers went away which is where modern monsters are at now. The TXT-2 emulates this. Again, no offense meant.

53 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I agree with the first part but I'm sorry, as a monster truck fanatic, I'm going to have disagree with the last two statements. The Jugg 1/2 were very much late mid/late 80's monsters with bouncy, leaf spring suspension. Bigfoot 8 was the turning point. It was the first truck relying on the tube frame/cantilever suspension setup for a drastic increase in suspension travel and it came out in 1989. It was actually banned for a while until the other trucks could catch up technology-wise. The TXT-1 amimics these trucks leading into the early '90s. Eventually, with the advent of longer travel shocks, cantilevers went away which is where modern monsters are at now. The TXT-2 emulates this. Again, no offense meant.

Not to derail the thread, but I still think Bigfoot 8/9 could outright destroy a current MJ truck in racing (provided it had modern power of course).  I remember seeing #9 when I was a kid in Bloomsburg and was absolutely floored with how smooth it was.  I think it was even better than the current gen of Bigfoot trucks.  

As for the Clod, I think it's properly 1/10 sized.  The tires are pretty much dead on to a 1:1 66x43x25 flotation tire.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Not to derail the thread, but I still think Bigfoot 8/9 could outright destroy a current MJ truck in racing (provided it had modern power of course).

I'd agree. Those trucks just glided over the crush cars.

Its actually the same wheelbase as the Terra Crusher, just the Clod is faster so the wheelbase has caught up on the Terra because it is slow.

yCYf1nD.jpg

The Clodbuster doesn't jump, it actually pushes obstacles down. and when you floor the throttle on a clod, its actually the world moving backwards, not the clod moving forwards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Clodbuster was bigger so that when you got one you could go to your neighbor and show him that his "monster" was a puny wimp. Instant street cred in your neighborhood :D

• Like 1