Superluminal

Complete numpty

Just accidently sprayed the windows on my avante shell with gun metal rather than smoke. Just tried to clean off now its a smudged mess.

Any tips on how to clean off without screwing up the rest of the paint?

Just tried isopropyl on a bit of rag, didnt touch it

Nail polish remover doest work either

So annoyed, this is the first day ive had in about six weeks to work on it and ive cocked it up....bahhhhhhhhhhhh

• Sad 1

Oooh if that stuff works i can go and see if b&q have got it in store otherwise the tamiya stuff isnt availbale in the uk

I was hoping to brush it on to keep the paint on the rest of the body ok.

Might be quicker and easier just to get another shell from lord tony

23 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I was hoping to brush it

This used to be available in brush on gel, I used it a lot  , but they have changed it to spray on   :(     Try some out by spraying some into a pot or bowl and using a cotton bud to clean the windows , more control

• Thanks 1

I should have said that if you use the spray ypou need to mask the rest and only leave it on for 15/20 mins.Or as @KEV THE REV says spray into a metal/plastic bowl and apply delicately!! Wash off with lots of water and it doesnt seem to cloud. I got mine from B&Q in St Albans but its a special order via website. Some of the bigger stores(Watford?) may stock it. Have never managed to get the brush on version or you have to buy 5 litres!!!

• Thanks 1

I tried to get there but I was about 10 mins too late and they were shut - i have chickened out and ordered another shell as the paint removal sounds a bit tricky and if the cockpit goes cloudy then i will need a new one anyway. First weekend in ages combined with favourable painting weather too.......what a total idiot. As I was spraying i was thinking it looked a bit darker than i remember smoke paint being. Lessoned learned - always double check the paint code on the can first

De-solv-it is worth a try but I've had really mixed results. I wonder sometimes if the actual paint has an influence.

I've cleaned a Kyosho and Tamiya shell with no problems at all, had no problems leaving it on the shell for long periods etc.

Then with a different tamiya lexan shell and a Nikko hard one, I got clouding after having it on just a few minutes. It seemed ok till i rinsed it off then it left a white haze which annoyingly WILL come off but it won't quite cone off with something like a dish sponge or tooth brush etc. You need to scrape it with your finger nail or something similar and getting it all off would take away your will to live.

The weird thing is that I tested the tamiya shell first with a little of the solution on a cotton pad and it seemed to work fine and that spot is still perfectly clear. It's almost as if something in the paint reacted with the water or something and it left one of it's chemical components behind.

No idea but it might be worth trying just using a dab on some cotton or microfiber cloth first without the need to rinse off after. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

Some of the bigger stores(Watford?)

You can check stock on B&Qs website when you search for the product

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Just keep the old shell as a training shell!!!

• Thanks 1

Indeed - a new shell and wing was £20 - the desolve it stuff almost half that. 

This weekend of sunny weather and nothing else planned apart from tinkering with stuff - priceless :(

Still worth buying some and giving it a go , you could still save the original one , and it will make you feel better about it all when you do save it  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Superluminal

Yes, when I read this post half an hour ago I tried it on my "colour test" lexan body and cleaned off some Tamiya PS19 Camel Yellow I sprayed about three months ago...

ee7Grap.jpg

and with a piece of white paper behind to show clarity...

dQANX4s.jpg

Hope this helps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WOW - That looks amazing!!!!!!! :wub:

Hobbycraft is on the way home from work tomorrow (there's a maccy d's next door too) Arm twisted.

• Like 1

@Superluminal, I know this sinking feeling well.  I was building my R91CP kit years ago, and the body did not come with any masks for the front headlights.  I was absorbed in masking the windows and went outside to spray the first color, then realized the headlights were now blue instead of clear.  I was lucky enough to find another body set, but it was still frustrating to forget something so simple.  Happens to all of us at some point.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 78Triumph said:

Tamiya Polycarbonate Cleaner.  It's the end all be all. 

Aye! That it be - but its not generally available in the UK from what I can see.

Tape it up around the windows. Then use a rag and Tamiya paint remover. Double up on the tape to make sure the remover won't get through.

Revell Paint Remover and Tamiya Polycarbonate Cleaner are essentially the same thing. 1-Methoxy 2-Propanol (PGME) and n-Butyl Acetate (BuAcO) are the active solvents in both, with the Tamiya probably a bit stronger at 95% PGME:5% BuAcO versus Revell at 90% PGME:10% BuAcO.

(info gleaned from respective manufacturers MSDS)

Edited by martinjpayne
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

De-solv-it is worth a try but I've had really mixed results. I wonder sometimes if the actual paint has an influence.

Exactly this, also the method used to remove the residue can be critical, I always  use a brush to work the remover & then use a lot of washing up liquid to remove the residue - here’s a shell I did last week using this exact method, it took me 30 minutes;

48705742897_e6150fed70_b.jpg

48705242528_96e73a0c86_b.jpg

• Like 3