Sign in to follow this  
GePat

Racing Fighter suspension issues.

Recently new to  RC cars and finished this kit.  [I also have a Grass Hopper] It has been built stock except for a bearing upgrade. Problem is that the stock rear springs will not overcome the weight of car when fully depressed.  It will not return to ride height. All the kit supplied spacers have been installed in the rear shocks.

Any help?

Gene P.

2 minutes ago, GePat said:

Recently new to  RC cars and finished this kit.  [I also have a Grass Hopper] It has been built stock except for a bearing upgrade. Problem is that the stock rear springs will not overcome the weight of car when fully depressed.  It will not return to ride height. All the kit supplied spacers have been installed in the rear shocks.

Any help?

Gene P.

Unfortunately this is one the (few) major flaws in this kit. It needs waaaaaay stiffer rear springs, but the kit front springs are fine. I bought the DF03 setting spring set 53927 and fitted the medium gold rear springs, but unless you have a lot of other buggies you will end up with lots of springs you don't use. Schumacher spring u3685 is available as a single set and is about the same rate. You need something around 2.8lb-3.0lb rated. Get the right spring and you will be well away. I love my DT03

• Like 2

Thanks just ordered a set. I think needs to update this kit, its like they almost force you to upgrade.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GePat said:

Thanks just ordered a set. I think needs to update this kit, its like they almost force you to upgrade.

Agreed, although compared to what you have to do to some kits to make them useable it's pretty good. Once you figure out what surface you like to run on (dirt, grass, astroturf etc) and get some tyres for that you will be completely sorted. Any hop ups after that are window dressing really. 

It's an odd choice the springs they use. They just about work with a featherweight Hobbywing 1060 and a light Core lipo battery and the spring spacers in, but as soon as you pop in a heavier Nimh and the Tble-02s (or a heavy square pack) it just drags it backside along the ground. Lighter oil isn't much help as then there's no control of the rebound and then means it slaps the ground repeatedly! I wonder if its best with the Tamiya Life batteries as they're meant to be pretty light weight. It's very rear weight biased but as @ThunderDragonCy says the DF-03 springs sort it out completely. I actually used the black ones in the back with one spacer and 550 weight Core oil for reference. This is running a square Lipo and an Etronix brushless (a little heavier than the Tble-02) set up. Other than that mines been bullet proof, I think it's a great buggy. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grotty Otty said:

It's an odd choice the springs they use. They just about work with a featherweight Hobbywing 1060 and a light Core lipo battery and the spring spacers in, but as soon as you pop in a heavier Nimh and the Tble-02s (or a heavy square pack) it just drags it backside along the ground. Lighter oil isn't much help as then there's no control of the rebound and then means it slaps the ground repeatedly! I wonder if its best with the Tamiya Life batteries as they're meant to be pretty light weight. It's very rear weight biased but as @ThunderDragonCy says the DF-03 springs sort it out completely. I actually used the black ones in the back with one spacer and 550 weight Core oil for reference. This is running a square Lipo and an Etronix brushless (a little heavier than the Tble-02) set up. Other than that mines been bullet proof, I think it's a great buggy. 

I did build the kit stock with the Tble-02 and a 3600 Nimh plus the addition of bearings.  But these spring are weak even without the added weight of the esc and battery. I have been in communication with Tamiya USA and am waiting to see if there is any help forthcoming.

• Like 1