junkmunki

Kyosho Raider Pro autojumble find

I am first and foremost a vintage Tamiya collector, but i do have the odd Kyosho hiding in my collection.

I found this at an autojumble i attended. The guy who owned it put it together in 1992, ran it once and packed it away again. It is near mint with just a couple of minor scratches on the bottom.

I've not had one of these before. The box states that it was almost ready to run, and the body shell came pre painted. It does say however, that it would require about 3 hours work to get it finished and ready to use. I'm curious to know how 'ready to run' it really was if it still took 3 hours to finishe. I've almost built complete kits in the same time...

Some of the parts such as the wishbones seem a bit skinny and fragile, so i'm not sure how hard this could have been driven before something broke.

Anyone out there a fan of these?

DSC_5397.JPG

DSC_5399.JPG

DSC_5400.JPG

• Like 1

Nice find! I like that Raiders are finally getting some recognition; they're cool cars. I just wish I had kept one of the five(!) I somehow owned at one point...

They're terrific fun runners, a little tail-happy on loose dirt, a bit like a Falcon in terms of how they handle. Extremely durable; the diff outdrives and the dogbones can wear quickly with upgraded power, but with a 540 they are essentially indestructible. Add some ball bearings (5x10mm instead of 5x11 like Tamiya, and 4x8 for the front wheels) if you plan to run it.

Wow. That is a lovely find. I bought a Raider myself a while back, but stalled on running it as it had some issues I didn't have time to fix at the time. I remember from BITD that they were tough enough and reasonably popular, but no good for racing as they didn't have enough steering lock.