NobbySideways

Handling "out of the box"

I've been trying to work out which Tamiya to get next. I think speed is fun but handling is now my priority; the ability to scare myself a bit whilst bashing. As in one of my much older threads I mentioned I like technically interesting builds, and this has to run off road (grass primarily, tiny bit of on road, mostly just open grass of tidy length). 

So which Tamiya model, in your opinion (and I like to see all the different opinions!), gives the best handling out of the box when paired with a decent brushless setup? I don't mind tweaking and improving, but I would like a car that corners like a housefly on grass. My DT03 is fairly hot but you need real throttle finesse to get it to corner. That has been great from the point of view of learning how to drive a bit better, but I've had it a few years now and fancy something else. Although I've got a buggy at the moment I'd consider something interesting from outside the buggy setup, like an XV01, if its got the potential to really blow me away handling wise.

I know its a bit of a funny question, thanks to anyone who does fancy answering it. I highlighted the important bits so the speed readers could ignore the rest of my waffling...

The CAT XLS or the Optima re-release. The Optima corners like its on rails compared to the Hot Shot series in my grassy back yard. Oh, wait, you said Tamiya ;).  Shooting from the hip, I'd guess one of the TRF buggies, 2 or 4wd depending on your driving preference. Shy of that, one of the DB01 buggies. Of the older buggies I actually have first hand knowledge of, the Top Force is handles descent and fairly neutral (still personally prefer the Egress though). Remember, much of what we call "character" in Tamiyaland are often handling quirks. It means they aren't perfect. Perfect point-and-shoot handling can get boring outside of competition.

• Like 1

My TRF503 will hang with most things out there. By far the best handling offroader Tamiay has built. Pair it up with the right tyres and you have a rig that will run hard with the latest and greatest.

A cheaper alternative if you can find one, is the DB01RRR. If you prefer 2WD, the TRF211XM is hard to beat for the price.

Yeah, I was going to point in the direction of TRF503, 502x, 511, 501x for 4WD buggies that will handle nicely.  DB01 family (DB01, R, RR, RRR) is a mid-level choice as well.

Excellent suggestions, cheers. I'm not 100% dead set on Tamiya, but Kyosho would be one of the only alternatives I would really consider.

I'm not dead set on 4WD, but as I already have 2WD it would be nice to have the option of something else. It would be nice to not have to constantly fight to keep the nose down too; adding ballast just seems counter-intuitive.

Thanks all, good suggestions and great leads. However as always further input is always welcome.

Jon.

I think you've really described the DB01 in your original post. It is belt drive so technically interesting compared to the standard shaft drive models, and as close to the race chassis as you get without actually buying one. RCJaz have the DB01RR kit for a decent price. 

Unfortunately Tamiya don't have much in the offroad range now. Kyosho have the Lazer ZX7 out now, so that or another good option would be a secondhand ZX6 or ZX6.6 which will be on the market now as people inevitably upgrade - if you're in NZ I have a recently retired ZX6 roller I need to get around to selling. 

Or if money is no object then go for one (all of) the TRF range. To me they are very expensive, especially when you compare the price to other brands top level kits.

While a 2wd car can be setup to handle well I find 4wd so much more forgiving and fun. They can also handle much more power through them too.

The other option would be to send whatever you have lying around to @ThunderDragonCy and get him to modernise and set it up for you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have had quite a few of those TRF/DB buggies you mention and there are all great, and handling better than a DT03 (which i also have, and like). For proper cornering on rails 4wd is probably the one, as even great 2wd chassis still need that finesse on the throtyle uou speak of. None of them will be perfrct out of the box because the biggest performance gain you make on grass is tyres. I have Schumacher Full Spike rears and mini spike fronts for wet grass and mini spike rear and cut stagger fronts for dry, all in yellow compound. 

You will struggle to buy any TRF or DB buggies in kit form for sensible money these days, so either buy used likke i did or get another brand. 

What about Topforce? It's a retro but but not an antique. Looks cool and can be improved with a few proven mods.

• Like 1

I guess you need to decide what exactly interests you, unless you like rally, I’m not sure you’ll get the full benefit of a XV01. The handling of the XV01 is quite unlike most other RC touring cars (maybe the exception of the TA03F, albeit the xv01 is significantly more advanced and modern however.) 

the handing of the XV01 is centered around it pivoting on its front wheels but in a highly controlled manner, it really does give a rally like experience. It’s very different say to what you’d experience from a buggy. You’d need to decide “how” off road your wanting to be as the XV01 is fine in “scale off-road” environments but like any 1/10 touring car pretty useless in a non scale like setting. (Large gravel, soft sand, bumpy rough ground etc) 

A db01RR is a very good option if you want something with modern 4wd buggy handling buy without going to something that’s not going to handle general playing. The RR I think isn’t a bad option as you get sealed gear diffs and big bore shocks standard. Both things offer reliability and premium handling for relatively low cost up front in terms of Tamiya buggy’s. 

But I think you need to determine yourself what you expect to do. The DT03 has a bullet proof drivetrain that can handle fairly silly motors and the whole thing copes with a lot of bashing really well. If bashing harder is the plan I think actually Tamiya doesn’t offer anything for super heavy duty running and you may like to look to Traxxas or aarma or maybe losi. 

Juls

Every Tamiya enthusiast should try and build a TRF at least once. They are amazing cars and really fun to build.

1 hour ago, DK308 said:

Every Tamiya enthusiast should try and build a TRF at least once. They are amazing cars and really fun to build.

I absolutely agree...but the offroad cars are so expensive.  My only experience of the TRF cars is my TRF102 and its the best build I've done as far as the quality of parts and how nicely it went together.  Kyosho are the same, but I bought my Lazer and Ultima secondhand so didn't build them from the kit.  I'd like a more complicated TRF build and the TRF419XR was tempting on the TamiyaUSA run-out sale but still too much for a shelf queen!