Metal -maro

Wrangler #12JP Jeep

Another new member here. I'm not the first person to build a Tamiya Jeep and make it look like one from Jurassic Park, but I'd like to think I'll take mine further than most people.  I have been a Jurassic Park fan since it came out, but I could never justify getting a real Jeep (at least not yet). I saw someone in town with their own real replica and had to do something about it. I've been looking for an out of production Jeep Wrangler to convert on eBay.  Then I finally found one with plenty of hop-ups already included.

Here is what I'm starting with off of eBay. I plan on re-creating Jeep #12 with as much of the screen accurate parts that I can. This includes the rims, soft top, doors, lightbar, wench and rear amber lights as well as the basic stuff like the paint scheme. I'm going to 3D print most of the parts and attempt to put LEDs in all the lights.

20181208_112651.jpg.761e5814a4381142b4f1b420f0c517fe.jpg

20181208_112753.thumb.jpg.999d0dcb7e362f591ce0b6758c130e8b.jpg

Wiring fun:  I've started deconstructing the body and testing out the lighting.

20190101_140126.thumb.jpg.0c8da883f33213df91da01acd7de84bf.jpg

I can't wait to see more and the parts you're making. I am working on a Jurassic Jeep too and thinking about vacuum forming a soft top from clear styrene.

I so want to high-five you right now. 

I've been wanting to do this for the longest while. My wife is an avid JP fan, and short of us owning a real-life Wrangler this is the closest we can get. I've been on the lookout for a good secondhand CC01 Wranger, but every car I come across is either wrecked to the hilt, unbelievably overpriced, cut up and modded beyond redemption, or any number of combinations of that. I'm kinda hoping Tamiya re-re's the body on a CC02 (two solid axles!), in which case I'll buy it and stash it somewhere out of sight to be made for our tenth anniversary. (We've only been married for 3.5 years, but I'm playing the long game here).

Anyway, back on topic. 

If you need props, I've found that the '90s JP raptor toys are actually pretty much 1:10th scale when compared to actual Velociraptor remains. They're a little on the small side when you compare them to the movie raptors, but then those were actually too large. 

*Immediately fires up the Googles to look for 1:10th scale 1st gen Ford Explorer body sets*

5 hours ago, GooneyBird said:

I so want to high-five you right now. 

I've been wanting to do this for the longest while. My wife is an avid JP fan, and short of us owning a real-life Wrangler this is the closest we can get. I've been on the lookout for a good secondhand CC01 Wranger, but every car I come across is either wrecked to the hilt, unbelievably overpriced, cut up and modded beyond redemption, or any number of combinations of that. I'm kinda hoping Tamiya re-re's the body on a CC02 (two solid axles!), in which case I'll buy it and stash it somewhere out of sight to be made for our tenth anniversary. (We've only been married for 3.5 years, but I'm playing the long game here).

Anyway, back on topic. 

If you need props, I've found that the '90s JP raptor toys are actually pretty much 1:10th scale when compared to actual Velociraptor remains. They're a little on the small side when you compare them to the movie raptors, but then those were actually too large. 

*Immediately fires up the Googles to look for 1:10th scale 1st gen Ford Explorer body sets*

Yeah, I agree.  That's why I had to pounce on this Jeep when I saw it on eBay.  The only other ones I could find were cut up too much or were beyond repair for the price they wanted.  That and this one came with most of the running gear and just about every aluminum upgrade I could think of.

16 hours ago, Blissard said:

I can't wait to see more and the parts you're making. I am working on a Jurassic Jeep too and thinking about vacuum forming a soft top from clear styrene.

Here are a few of the parts I've got.  I've been looking at images for colors and I'm going to use fabric for my top.  

JP plain render.JPG

lightbar.JPG

ramsey.JPG