Metal -maro

#12 Jurassic Park Jeep Wrangler

Another new member here. I'm not the first person to build a Tamiya Jeep and make it look like one from Jurassic Park, but I'd like to think I'll take mine further than most people.  I have been a Jurassic Park fan since it came out, but I could never justify getting a real Jeep (at least not yet). I saw someone in town with their own real replica and had to do something about it. I've been looking for an out of production Jeep Wrangler to convert on eBay.  Then I finally found one with plenty of hop-ups already included.

Here is what I'm starting with off of eBay. I plan on re-creating Jeep #12 with as much of the screen accurate parts that I can. This includes the rims, soft top, doors, lightbar, wench and rear amber lights as well as the basic stuff like the paint scheme. I'm going to 3D print most of the parts and attempt to put LEDs in all the lights.

20181208_112651.jpg.761e5814a4381142b4f1b420f0c517fe.jpg

20181208_112753.thumb.jpg.999d0dcb7e362f591ce0b6758c130e8b.jpg

Wiring fun:  I've started deconstructing the body and testing out the lighting.

20190101_140126.thumb.jpg.0c8da883f33213df91da01acd7de84bf.jpg

• Like 3

I can't wait to see more and the parts you're making. I am working on a Jurassic Jeep too and thinking about vacuum forming a soft top from clear styrene.

I so want to high-five you right now. 

I've been wanting to do this for the longest while. My wife is an avid JP fan, and short of us owning a real-life Wrangler this is the closest we can get. I've been on the lookout for a good secondhand CC01 Wranger, but every car I come across is either wrecked to the hilt, unbelievably overpriced, cut up and modded beyond redemption, or any number of combinations of that. I'm kinda hoping Tamiya re-re's the body on a CC02 (two solid axles!), in which case I'll buy it and stash it somewhere out of sight to be made for our tenth anniversary. (We've only been married for 3.5 years, but I'm playing the long game here).

Anyway, back on topic. 

If you need props, I've found that the '90s JP raptor toys are actually pretty much 1:10th scale when compared to actual Velociraptor remains. They're a little on the small side when you compare them to the movie raptors, but then those were actually too large. 

*Immediately fires up the Googles to look for 1:10th scale 1st gen Ford Explorer body sets*

5 hours ago, GooneyBird said:

I so want to high-five you right now. 

I've been wanting to do this for the longest while. My wife is an avid JP fan, and short of us owning a real-life Wrangler this is the closest we can get. I've been on the lookout for a good secondhand CC01 Wranger, but every car I come across is either wrecked to the hilt, unbelievably overpriced, cut up and modded beyond redemption, or any number of combinations of that. I'm kinda hoping Tamiya re-re's the body on a CC02 (two solid axles!), in which case I'll buy it and stash it somewhere out of sight to be made for our tenth anniversary. (We've only been married for 3.5 years, but I'm playing the long game here).

Anyway, back on topic. 

If you need props, I've found that the '90s JP raptor toys are actually pretty much 1:10th scale when compared to actual Velociraptor remains. They're a little on the small side when you compare them to the movie raptors, but then those were actually too large. 

*Immediately fires up the Googles to look for 1:10th scale 1st gen Ford Explorer body sets*

Yeah, I agree.  That's why I had to pounce on this Jeep when I saw it on eBay.  The only other ones I could find were cut up too much or were beyond repair for the price they wanted.  That and this one came with most of the running gear and just about every aluminum upgrade I could think of.

16 hours ago, Blissard said:

I can't wait to see more and the parts you're making. I am working on a Jurassic Jeep too and thinking about vacuum forming a soft top from clear styrene.

Here are a few of the parts I've got.  I've been looking at images for colors and I'm going to use fabric for my top.  

JP plain render.JPG

lightbar.JPG

ramsey.JPG

I recently placed some orders for the various parts I needed.  Shocks, printed parts and tires (the later have arrived).  I need five tires because I want the spare to match the rest of the rims. Luckily this Jeep already had a mount for a spare.  Someone pointed out that Jurassic Park Jeeps don't use BFG mud terrain tires, but all-terrain ones.  Does anyone happen to know a good way to put white lettering on small tires?  If not, oh well. 

20181218_190826.thumb.jpg.0d40196a52259d39e9661e7536b43363.jpg 

Those tires look great with original Tamiya lettering. I think you can make All-Terrain decals for the tires like newer Tamiya kits have. Hand lettering might end up messy and those tires are too valuable to remove the lettering in my opinion.

How about rc4wd tires. I think the size and pattern is closest to a real Jurassic Jeep even with huge Tamiya fenders, but I can't use those cool 1.9 red wheels you have. 

18-13.jpg

Is it me or has the CCO1 chassis morphed into something else. Leaf springs at the front??

Ooops just realised I'd  mixed up posters:rolleyes:

Edited by Busdriver
Silly Me

On 9/22/2019 at 8:38 AM, Blissard said:

Those tires look great with original Tamiya lettering. I think you can make All-Terrain decals for the tires like newer Tamiya kits have. Hand lettering might end up messy and those tires are too valuable to remove the lettering in my opinion.

How about rc4wd tires. I think the size and pattern is closest to a real Jurassic Jeep even with huge Tamiya fenders, but I can't use those cool 1.9 red wheels you have. 

18-13.jpg

Awesome!  Just what I planned on doing.  I've never seen anyone with the correct doors on their Jeep until now.  Are you putting in an interior?  What did you make the doors out of?

8 hours ago, Metal -maro said:

Awesome!  Just what I planned on doing.  I've never seen anyone with the correct doors on their Jeep until now.  Are you putting in an interior?  What did you make the doors out of?

Thank you, I am making floor pan and dashboard myself and planning to make a driver seat from Tamiya Hilux bench. My doors are stock Tamiya doors, I've cut them accurately by getting measurements from real half doors. I will make hinges and key hole later. Top part will be part of the soft top.

Your parts look great, I am looking forward to seeing more.

A project after my own heart!

I've been working on my CC01 JP12 for a lifetime. Kids and work have just taken priority. 

I haven't gone to the same lengths as you, trying to use as many off-the-shelf parts as possible. Really look forward to seeing some more progress.

I noticed some of your parts on Shapeways - are the small light housings for the rear available, and do they have lenses? I've been trying to use some items from Axial, but they don't fit great.

8 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

A project after my own heart!

I've been working on my CC01 JP12 for a lifetime. Kids and work have just taken priority. 

I haven't gone to the same lengths as you, trying to use as many off-the-shelf parts as possible. Really look forward to seeing some more progress.

I noticed some of your parts on Shapeways - are the small light housings for the rear available, and do they have lenses? I've been trying to use some items from Axial, but they don't fit great.

The light housings (Power/Dick cepek fogs) are available.  As of yet they don't have lenses, because to save on costs I've been making them from a Plexiglas sheet (which isn't easy). I was considering making lenses, but I'm not sure how clear they would come out in the high-def plastic.  I'm painting the taillights now, so I'll soon know the results.  

And some wench work...

I didn't like how flimsy the chrome bars came out on the 3D wench print, so I made ones from a paper clip.  I matched the shape of the actual parts by smashing the ends in a vise. 

The cable is just some string with silver paint on it.  On second thought, I should have made it a working one.  This one will do for now.

20190428_183748.jpg

20190428_195105.jpg

20190429_200353.jpg

My next step was the fun one...  color!!  I went to the local O'Reilly's Auto parts and had them mix the correct '92 Sahara Sand Beige paint in a rattle can for me.

I transferred the graphics on the body by printing them out on a sheet of paper.  I put masking tape on the body and then using carbon paper, traced the numbers on the tape.  Then I cut the numbers out by tracing the lines. 

20190512_200333.jpg

20190530_110139.jpg

20190530_135518.jpg

• Like 1

Have you worked out how your going to fill in the void now youve cut the top off. Are you going to build an iterior? Ive just got a wrangler body for my CC01 and was considering cutting the top off but theres not much depth left to craft an interior?

On 10/9/2019 at 1:56 PM, Busdriver said:

Have you worked out how your going to fill in the void now youve cut the top off. Are you going to build an iterior? Ive just got a wrangler body for my CC01 and was considering cutting the top off but theres not much depth left to craft an interior?

I'm not going to put in an interior.  I agree that there doesn't seem to be enough room.  If one was done it would have be "shallow" or more "visual" than an actual scale interior.  There are just too many parts to have to avoid to keep the ride height similar to the film Jeeps.

I plan on putting on a soft top made from fabric.  Here I am inserting the roll hoop/soft top supports. 

20190605_202244.thumb.jpg.1ae8e0c5d302bdac18b660c9388eaa20.jpg

20190605_204459.thumb.jpg.d07847ba0ef2aac39be3fe939a6110c9.jpg

20190605_204947.thumb.jpg.a6f1cac950fa516696dc3628e323d4fb.jpg

You know the old saying "Measure twice, cut once?". Well, measure three times, glue once didn't really work out.

This took three tries to get these hoops set right.  Each time I had to chisel/grind/sand the glue back out until I was happy with the final position. 

I added a strip of wood to support what will be the front of the soft top.

20190608_200220.thumb.jpg.2f82f1afbb08bd91776ac506f764b97e.jpg

20190608_200228.thumb.jpg.01989d3eff4b47771be448c7b7909422.jpg

Here are the two colors of cloth I picked up from the fabric store.  I brought one of the painted doors into the store to help me pick out the fabric.  The first one I picked out was the lighter one. It didn't look right after I got it home and laid it on the body.   My theory is having the red near it changed the look or the lighting in the store threw it off. 

20190707_200506.thumb.jpg.aa100a90e1260ca5371b942907c008fb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm going to leave the top on mine and do a half body interior.

Do you or anybody else know what the mounting points under the running boards are for? I can't seem to see them in the CC01 Wrangler manual at all?? Sorry not trying to hijack your thread just thought you might know?

On 10/16/2019 at 11:51 AM, Busdriver said:

Do you or anybody else know what the mounting points under the running boards are for? I can't seem to see them in the CC01 Wrangler manual at all?? Sorry not trying to hijack your thread just thought you might know?

Unfortunately I don't know.  I asked the same question when I got my jeep.  I never found anyone with a definite answer.