jonboy1

How many unfinished projects (RC only of course!) do you have to do?

14 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I can't remember any others.  No doubt there are more in the boxes in my storage area but right now they escape me.  I haven't included all the shelf-standard touring cars that I painted up as street-legal cars which I don't consider finished because they don't have lights or interiors yet, but which I'll probably never get around to adding lights or interiors to.  I haven't included any of the big rigs or trailers which are never finished and which will all be getting converted to my Arduino MFC when it's finished.  I haven't included the SCX10 or the Maverick Scout hybrid scale rigs which acquire new scale parts every now and then, nor the RMX 2.0S drift car that needs a proper scale body because the HPI 200mm job just doesn't cut it.  I definitely haven't included the DF03 that has been robbed of so many parts it is barely more than a chassis tub and some screws now, because, well, why would I?  It doesn't really exist any more.

@Mad Ax - firstly, thank you for existing, as you make me feel a whole lot better about myself :P secondly, you have more cars in your "haven't included because..." section than I have in my "included" section! so, again, thank you! :lol:

@scoobybooster - everyone - I think we have a silent assassin amongst us.....

1 hour ago, scoobybooster said:

To be honest, i don't know what i actually have , as i started storing boxes also at my partents home and in the Company i work. Think it must be around 40 or 50 cars. Problem is: When a phase of willpower comes over me and I want to make a model to finish it, I often don't know where I stowed it. So I let it stay again.

:ph34r:

loving this thread guys - keep it up! ;) 

35 unbuilt kits that I intend to build (not counting the ones I want to stay NIB)

About 50 cars awaiting restoration.

560 unpainted bodies, with actual intentions and plans for painting 519 of them.

As soon as the tasks above have been completed :P, 1155 car model kits in 1/25 and 1/24 and about 200 other static models are ready to be built.

I guess we all have too much to do to ever die. :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

OK, I’ll play. I’ve created a ‘garage’ spreadsheet to keep track of everything.

Rather than depressing me with the sheer amount of work I am left to do , I can use it to pick ‘quick wins’ or focus on a rare day off to play Tamiya.

I can also keep track of the parts I need, orders outstanding and a check to try and ensure that I don't double (or triple!) buy. 

I have 7 categories – runner, to fix, to finish, to build, to restore, NIB and shelfer.

For the purpose of this thread I’ll only list fix, to finish and to restore. That omits 8 models!

To fix

M04 BMW 2002               Check servo, Fix body mount, Fit Gyro, Dampers

ORV Mongrel                    Update to ESC

To Finish

GCM Skeleton Jeep         Buy body mounts, axles, tyres

XV01T    Asterion              Decals, Front Bumper

Hornet                                Steering arms, AmPro Rear Suspension, Decals

TL01.5   pick-up                Create Chassis jig, weld Left Chassis, weld right chassis, reassemble whole chassis, dampers, Body post holes, Paint, decals

M04 Giulia                         Dampers, fit tyres, fit wheels, trim body, paint, decals

M03/M04 Minortaur       Trim body, repair body, body mounts, paint, decals

M03 Mini                           Dampers, fit wheels & tyres, test fit junk body

Dual Hunter                       Finish Chassis reassembly

Tractor scratch build       Mock up body, choose axles, make chassis, etc

To Build

ORV Frog            

ORV Brat            

Mini Recon         Jeep body

To Restore         

Wild Willy LWB M38      

Hot Shot              

CC01 Pajero       

TL01 LA

TB01

M03 Mini Monte Carlo

• Like 2

I don’t think in terms of finished or not. Nothing I do gets finished, keeps things simple and keeps them perfectly imperfect. What a cop out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't have as many cars as some of you but I would say I have just 2

I have an old TA02 I want to restore and my M03 to disassemble and have a good go through.

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

OK, I’ll play. I’ve created a ‘garage’ spreadsheet to keep track of everything.

Rather than depressing me with the sheer amount of work I am left to do , I can use it to pick ‘quick wins’ or focus on a rare day off to play Tamiya.

When I started at my current job almost 2 years ago, they had no work for me to do.  Along with about 12 others, we were put in a room and told to teach ourselves new things or consolidate old knowledge.  Given that I'm not academically minded (I would have loved to have gone to uni for the experience but declined on the basis that I'd have flunked completely), I know the best way for me to learn is by doing stuff.  So I set myself the challenge of building a web application that allows me to catalog all my RC cars, all the interchangeable parts (or 'assets') attached to them, assign jobs and purchase lists to them and add them to collections.

The idea was that (just like the above) if I had a spare 2 hours, I could pull up a list of jobs for which I didn't need parts or had the required parts already in stock, which were estimated to take less than 2 hours, and do them, and if I had a whole day, I could pick a longer job, and if I had some spare money, I could pull a list of all the parts I need to finish projects rather than blowing it on yet another basket case.

The other major bonus was that if I needed an ESC or other asset, I could see from the asset list which ones were in cars and which ones were spare.  If I'm desperate to fit one particular esc/motor combo to a car, I can find out which car it's already in just by typing the details into a page.

The problem is that writing such a complex piece of software alone takes months.  It's actually in a pretty good state at last but it's taken a very long time to get this far.

The other problem is that I don't have any public hosting for it, so it's only available on my personal laptop, and takes some time to start up, so inevitably I don't bother updating it every time I swap an ESC and servo from one car to another.  It would make much more sense for me to make it mobile-friendly and host it publicly somewhere, but that means throwing money at it...

• Like 1

I remember you posting about that database(?) before @Mad Ax. I think it planted the seed of an idea with me.

You can see that my data is quite simple - the text above was lifted from Excel. I can add separate worksheets for individual projects and the GCM has a parts mountain which goes from yellow (needed) through orange (ordered) to green (received) as it escalates towards the peak - ready to build.

This could be a separate topic in itself but my boss got me on to bullet journals...

And now I need to add another M04 Giulia to the list. Stupid eBay bids. What did I say about it stopping buying doubles and triples??!!!!

• Like 2

@Mad Ax maybe you should put the source for your web app up on somewhere like GitHub?

Then maybe we could get a community project going from it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

@Mad Ax maybe you should put the source for your web app up on somewhere like GitHub?

hmmm, sounds a bit like an RC equivalent scalemates.com? ...ie. a stash management app.

Enough!

If I don't count repairs, but only the real projects:

Marui Samurai. Stripped, partially rebuild, but I need to finish painting parts.

Marui Shogun. Needs a total strip, cleaning of parts as it was kept in a shed and it looks like the inside of a painters van, rebuild.

2 Marui big bears, but they will be shelf-fillers only.

Marui big bear, that will be rebuild as original, but with ESC and bearings.

Konghead. Its clean and new, Quick stripdown to add bearings, lube, rebuild and full electronics and custom body.

Frankenbear. Needs a full suspension redesign and a body.

No time as the projects my wife wants done somehow end up as higher priority?? :huh:

On 9/12/2019 at 4:34 PM, dannymulder said:

Not much only one nib konghead, but that is my winter project, I do not like unfinished projects, I always want al my cars in running condition.

I am always surpriced that people have dozen of projects that are not finished and then they begin on a other project and then al the other projects are untouched for years, I don't get it but maybe thats just me.

I always finished one project and when its done then I go for a other one.

mate it happens.. where i am parts takes weeks, if not months to arrive. and sometimes, parts are just not available. can't just sit around waiting hey... so i have to start or work on other stuff... as they say... idle hands are the devil's workshop.

well that is my excuse anyway.

On 9/12/2019 at 3:02 PM, jonboy1 said:

I think that's it - no - forgot about the Bell222 helicopter too..

Ahem, and the Hotshot II, Wild Willy head, F150 Ranger, Sand Scorcher and custom Econoline Lunch Box body.. :P:ph34r:

My current project is an Org Hornet.

Halfway though the resto.

Off the top of my head I have about 50 cars which are in various states.

Ranging from full resto to simple decals/body work.

None :huh:

Even all 1:1 are runnig. Well, great thing because I can concentrate on upgrading and tuning them :lol:

• Thanks 1

I'm glad to read I'm not the only one that has many projects going at the same time! 

Here's mine:

Sand Scorcher -  finish detailing the body

Original RC-10 - need to re-assemble after a complete tear down and cleaning.  Also needs a new body

Axial SCX-10 Raw Builders Kit -  need to assemble and pick a body

NIB Boomerang - need to assemble

Blitzer Beetle - need to replace the gearbox case as I tore the one half off at the suspension arm after a bad crash on lipo and 7.5t brushless.

CC-01 - front dogbone is bent and needs replacing

Frog - I'd like a new body to repaint box art

That's about it.  :)

I have 14 Tamiya models right now.

2 are going to be sold.

2 are 100% finished.

8 are mostly finished but need small jobs to complete them.

2 need stripping down and rebuilding, 1 has been waiting 6 years the other just 4 years 😂

Omg........

My list is

Dyna storm 

Running and racing 

Avante 

Running and racing 

Manta ray hybrid 

100% modified carbon chassis..... my current racer

Blackfoot 

Need some minor work

Hilux monster racer 

Fully working but need the new ball diff fitting 

Madcap

Restoring 

Bearhawk 

Restoring 

Blitza beetle 

Restoring 

Thunder dragon 

100% restored

Ff02

Restoring 

Ta02 

Full carbon my 25year old racer restoring 

Dt02

Full trf restoring 

Loads more but my fingertips and brain are hurting!

Here is my list as far as I can remember:-

Saint dragon- TBG body to paint and add the MCI decals, rest of it is done

Vanquish - TBG body to paint and add MCI decals and a full strip and rebuild. Also add the correct tires which I have now sourced.

Fire Dragon - change wheels and tires to originals, same for Thunder Dragaon and Thundershot then they are all finished as all had a full rebuild

My old Boomerang needs a nut and bolt strip, clean and rebuild (no parts needed as I did a very basic sort last year, will add a better set of wheels and tires though)

Midnight pumpkin (another of my old cars) needs a better condition original shell as mine is ........ed as let middle son play with it. Also needs some steering parts

Oh and I want a Wild WIlly (2 most likely as will not pay price for an original) and an Astute. Then I will have no display space left.........unless I put up another case!!!

21 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

Axial SCX-10 Raw Builders Kit -  need to assemble and pick a body

I've been eyeing these off for a while now.

Have you had much to do with them?

Not sure whether to go all out on a quality kit, or buy a cheapie.

I'm not one to skimp, but looking for a couple of crawlers to run in the back yard for my son and myself.

Sorry for the hijack :ph34r:

19 hours ago, Turbotom said:

Bearhawk 

Would you consider selling this?

Will be going to a loving household. B)

On 9/13/2019 at 7:05 PM, Peter_B said:

The source is currently on GitHub, but the repo is private.  I have promised myself that as soon as it's had some stress testing I will share it.  OTOH I've typically worked alone on all my personal projects and, although I don't pretend to be the world's greatest software developer (I still struggle to read a lambda expression and don't get me started on regex), given the state of code that I have to deal with on a day-to-day basis, I'm very afraid of letting my babies out into the big wide world.

But yet - it probably would be good to get some input from the community.  With a little bit of work it could be a really useful tool for a lot of us.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:02 PM, barneys66 said:

Ahem, and the Hotshot II, Wild Willy head, F150 Ranger, Sand Scorcher and custom Econoline Lunch Box body.. :P:ph34r:

au jourd'hui my nubile nemesis - those are your projects which have completely different colour tabs on my spreadsheet (blue in case you are interested) (my stuff are red for "never getting started or finished") ;) 

22 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

I've been eyeing these off for a while now.

Have you had much to do with them?

I opened the box to look at the parts but that's as far as I've gotten. 

After all this discussion I found myself sat in the garage last night, waiting for paint to dry on @barneys66 Hotshot 2 driver,  and I looked over at the plastic crates that contain my projects. Before I knew it, I had the Uber Boomer crate opened, determined to get the wheels and tyres off so I could get them ready for having the insides painted and maybe even fit the steering servo!

What actually happened, was that I opened the box for the servo, realised I had misplaced the instructions on how to connect the servo to the bell crank and then that I had attached the steering links to the top of the crank, not the bottom. I then neatly put everything back in the crate, put the crate back in it's pile and returned to painting the driver.......

Little steps people, little steps! :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1/  original scorcher restore to runner, but not as basher

2/  falcon x2, restore, get working to shelf

3/  Pajero 58044. Restore. In pieces, broken gearbox, paint and decal bod

4/  lunchbox, finish gearbox rebuild

5/  Clodbuster, get working. Twin MSC not working, smoked on two attempts, might need new one.

6/  Subaru Brat Blue special edition build

7/  Finish Monster beetle build, final body attachments and decals to be done.

8/  Stadium Blitzer, source original or lexan body to return to box art. Find quiet solution for gearbox

9/  Chevy S10, have one running, have second chassis and body to build another, although will build with wider arms for more stability and bashing.

10/  Hornet originals x 2 to restore

11/  Hornet rere with a scorcher body, finish body mounting, thus far 2 efforts have failed the roll test.

12/  King blackfoot - lost drive last time out, needs gearbox strip and restore I suspect

13/  Midnight Pumpkin, got new tires, but needs a full restore, including the body.