jonboy1

How many unfinished projects (RC only of course!) do you have to do?

Current projects:

• Clodbuster: detail painting, stickers, strip paint on rims, install electronics
  • Bear Hawk: body paint & stickers
  • TXT-1: reinforce bumper mounts with small aluminium plates on the bottom where the links are attached. Install electronics.
  • 959: Stickers
  • Celica Grp.B: paint some yellow rims in white
  • Striker: too many things to do....
  • TB03: 3D print some servo mounts
  • Terra Scorcher: paint driver
  • Toyot Hilux 4x4 Pickup #1: body paint & stickers
  • Toyot Hilux 4x4 Pickup #2: strip, clean and put back together. Repaint body.
  • Blazing Blazer: body paint + stickers. Work on the resin roof. Try to find some Blazier wheels since it was originally an Hilux.
  • Audi quattro 58036: buy TBG body, repair front grill
  • Blackfoot: Find an original body
  • Hilux Monster Racer: body paint + stickers

Some of these will be finished soon, some might take a few more years, depending on motivation. I have to restrain myselft not to start something else until I finish a project. Very difficult since there are some very interesting cars waiting.

You're all kidding yourselves, every project is an unfinished project, they're never really finished, just put to one side until the next good idea for them comes along. I have about 14 unfinished projects ....... ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

My current projects.....
What once was a Super Champ that only needs wiring and for me to summon up the courage to paint the Sand Scorcher body I bought for it. It's a real hodge-podge of old and new, but it was given to me as a pile of parts back ion the late 80s so....alls fair.
A Kyosho Advance I think it was. Nitro powered Scorpion type chassis that was also a pile of parts given to me with the other pile of parts back in said late 80's. I want to make a Scorpion out of it.

A Marui Hunter that only needs the body painted and stickers applied. Could use a driver figure and lights too, may shoehorn Tamiya parts in for that.....and try something else for the uni-shock at the back, cause it's cactus as we Australians say.
A Falcon chassis covered in 3D printed bits I drew and printed out myself, body needs painting and stickers, and driver and spotlights. 

An Ultima Turbo that could use an esc and rx and a pinion gear. Steering gear also needs work.
An Ultima RB Type R that could use the same.....and a steering servo.

(Bit of a common theme here methinks)

I think that's all.

I also have the best part of a Kyosho Outrage in bits......but meh.

On 9/14/2019 at 4:51 PM, Grumpy pants said:

I have 14 Tamiya models right now.

2 are going to be sold.

2 are 100% finished.

8 are mostly finished but need small jobs to complete them.

2 need stripping down and rebuilding, 1 has been waiting 6 years the other just 4 years 😂

Well @jonboy1 you promoted some action on my part 👍 

1 car has been sold now and I’ll list another on eBay next weekend. 

That will lighten the load for now! 

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2019 at 11:17 AM, Grumpy pants said:

Nah, all it does is make space for another project ;) 

• Haha 1

I've been trying to resist itemising for a while but I'm going to have to start I think.

I'd just like to point out that I'm a pretty skint person. This empire of junk  didn't happen  overnight. My limited budget has just given me a terminator like efficiency for sporting bargains.

Also, if I wasnt single, there's no way I'd have this much crap filling up the house but after coming out of a marriage in 2012 and just drifting aimlessly through life for a few years, I decided in 2016 that I'd like to just split my time between parenthood and being a big man child for a while. When I feel like I want to be in a relationship again, I'm sure I'll clear a lot of it out but until then, I'm the RC equivalent of that single guy everyone knows with an entire disassembled car spread out their house in bits.

I guess I'll start off in the kitchen! 

Cen ME16: Awesome "1/16" monster truck that is really just a 1/10 that's been squished a little. Tough as nails and good basher. It needs a complete tear down and rebuild because it was filthy when I got it and has only gotten worse.

Nikko Midnight Crusher: A 1/10 twin Motor 4x4 MT. The same as the Hawg and Thor. Almost a hobby grade in an RTR package. The previous owner randomly sprayed gold plastikote all over it which I have been slowly trying to removed without spoiling the original decals 😖 eventually it will receive hobby electronics, bearings and oil dampers. Not a high tech truck but a cool looking 80s relic that can compete with the more basic hobby models from the era once it has decent electronics.

Nikko Bobcat: Another high end Nikko that is almost hobby quality. This is a descendant of the 80s Dictator buggy and like the Midnight Crusher, used two seperate motors and transmissions to achieve 4wd. This is currently in the middle of being converted from 390 to 540 motors and like many of my projects, once I got it running and was smug with my achievements it entered the "finishing off" stage which has been known to take years.

Feiyue FY03: Neat little twin hammers clone. I got some cheap adjustable turnbuckles for the steering and suspension links but they have so much slop its ridiculous so they need to come back off at some point. Apart from that it's been a great little runner. I also converted this from a  390 to a 540 motor and the stock electronics have coped fine so far. 

Traxxas E-Maxx 3906: The original E-Maxx. I got it dirt cheap a year or two ago and intend to run a mild brushless setup. The gearbox is in parts and I have the stronger metal idler gears from the later models but i just haven't got round to putting it back together. It won't handle a 4s+ monster setup but a 3665 on 2-3s should be manageable.

WPL C24 Hilux mini crawler: Why do I own this? Surely one of these cheap Chinese crawlers would be enough but somehow I ended up with 3 different types!? Just so cheap and fun to improve. I have some metal gears waiting to go into this one.

Ok, I think that's the kitchen done for actual vehicles. Just add about 50 random parts who's target vehicles have long been forgotten.

• Like 1

170cm gasoline outerlimits boat wit Zen 320 engine. all parts I have but nowhere to build it.

Grand hauler(body under construction for 3 years)

CC-01 Isuzu

Super Clod(body to do)

On 9/21/2019 at 11:17 AM, Grumpy pants said:

So true @jonboy1, but I have to stay strong and finish the WW2 and my daughters Lunchbox before I even consider another purchase 🤪

• Haha 1

Unfinished projects list is stable.

My unstarted projects list is growing however. :lol:

In the last few weeks I have added -

"Original" Hotshot - turns out to be mostly re-re parts...

NIB re-re Hornet - to have a crack at speed runs.

Vintage Academy Road Runner.

RC room is slowly coming together now I have moved a few things out.

May be able to start chipping away at some projects soon.

I used to have nearly 80 vehicles, but maybe only 25 were complete running examples.  I always had ideas and plans for the others and could never seem to get around to them all.  Ended up selling most and moving out-of-country.  Since that time, I've started another collection (now up to #11) and each one is complete.  I've chosen to take my time and hash out each detail until a model is done before taking on another project and am actually very pleased.  I still miss my other sold models of course.. but I'm glad that I can pick up any vehicle from my new collection and enjoy at a moments notice.

• Like 1