Saito2

TXT-1 with Clod axles

I'm going through the RCs that I've owned and trying to pick out only the ones I truly loved to drive to keep on my runners shelf. I had a blast with my TXT-1 back in the day. It was stock aside from bearings and a twin 550/14.4v set-up. Sadly, that kind of power was not kind to the driveline over time. It got retired and replaced with a TXT-2 Agrios running twin HPI Firebolts on 8.4v. I've run the Agrios even longer and now its axles are starting to show wear. In typical Tamiya fashion, parts are expensive or hard to come by. Furthermore, I never enjoyed the Agrios as much as the cantilevered TXT-1. 

So, how about adding Clod axles to the TXT-1 chassis? Has anyone done it? Are there things to look out for? I plan to run the full, original TXT-1 chassis and cantilevers. Clod axles do take power and the parts are available. I'll miss the shafty aspect a bit, but will gain piece of mind which will let me run it like I was 28 again and enjoy it without fear. 

• Like 1

JAnderson from Tamiya did one years ago that was in RC Car Action.  Can't remember the year, just remember drooling over it I'm my younger days.  You may be able to find info on that?

• Like 1

I made one years ago.  I never really liked how the TXT lifts its wheel under power and found it never to really be any good at anything besides looking cool - it had way too much torque twist even to do basic climbs.  I had a Super Clod NIB for another project that got canned, so I figured the TXT would be better with clod axles.

So - yes - it's possible.  It was a long time ago now so forgive me if I'm don't remember it all 100%.

I used an aftermarket 4-link kit to fit the axles.  I don't remember what manufacturer.  I do remember that the stock TXT links are too short for the Clod mounting points, so you end up with a SWB TXT.  It actually looked really cool but on 14.4v it would wheelie everywhere.  I later bought some longer links with mounts for conventional shocks in the middle, and I did away with the cantilevers.  You could probably keep the stock wheelbase if you made up your own links, not sure about the cantilever shock mounts - that will probably depend on what type of 4-link setup you buy / make.

• Like 2

Thanks for the help @Mad Ax. I actually liked my old TXT-1. It ate up all kinds of rough terrain at construction sites and such. The torque twist was a pain on high power though. Clod axles will do away with that and handle the power adequately.  They're fun trucks when you run some descent power through them. I wouldn't call them graceful, but they feel and react much like a full size monster truck. Too bad that kind of power gradually wears away at the axle gears. Just the sheer weight of the truck alone seems stressful. With the stock 540s (which would probably keep the driveline happy for ages) the trucks are too slow. They react more like the very first monster trucks that gingerly crept over obstacles rather than the high flying, early/mid 90's trucks they're modeled after 

• Like 1

I've done this a few times, works just fine.  Can't seem to find pics of my TXT-1 with Clod axles at the moment, but here are a few of my TXT-2 with Clod axles.   You can pretty much put whatever axles under whichever chassis you choose, just need the right amount of space and proper links.  I've done SCX10s with TXT drivetrain, TXT-2 chassis with SCX10 axles, TXT axles under a CPE Barbarian chassis, and recently an SCX10 frame with MST axles to get a narrow track.

It's much easier putting Clod axles under whatever chassis you choose as you dont have to worry about the driveline components.  Much more difficult to put a TXT drivetrain in a different chassis as you need to worrk about driveshaft angles, length, etc.

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

• Like 5

To add, I share your sentiments about the TXT trucks.  I really love mine because of the shaft driven design, but with parts not being as easy to find as they used to be I hate tearing them up.  Clod axles are much more durable as you said and parts are dirt cheap if something does let go.  I run the Excaliber truck above with 15t Firebolts, stock pinions, and 3-4s and its a great truck.  I prefer the vertical shocks, but no reason it wouldnt wory with a cantilever setup.

• Like 1

That Excaliber truck is stunning @87lc2. I hope someday to have some of my monsters looking that good. Do some of those other axles you've mentioned (SCX10, etc) work well with Clod-sized tires? I'm thinking ahead about my Agrios axles possible replacement.

27 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

Why replace the TXT axles? From a scale perspective they are not too far off from a Rockwell 5-ton.

Oh, I agree they look good. I've just experienced durability and wear issues with them over time and parts are not always easy to come by.

Thanks Saito, really appreciate it.  Unfortunately I have not found many axles able to hold up to Clod sized tires reliably.  I have the Axial AR60s on one truck and they're crap, wouldn't bother with them.  I run open diffs in them and it eats diff gears for lunch (much worse than TXT axles).  You can run them locked, but then you just end up breaking the axle shafts themselves.

The only axles I have succesfully run that will more than handle Clod sized tires reliably are Kyosho Mad Force axles, those babies are tough.  Unfortunately they're not as easy to come by and they take a lot more work to mount as you need to fabricate 4-link and shock mounts.  

I love shaft drive trucks as much as anyone, but if you're looking to just have fun running the truck go with Clod axles, your instict is right on this.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1