Collin

General question about using Brushes.

Hi. I am new with brushed motors. How long (or how short) can I drive the brushes down? For example the brushes from my Orion Revolution V2.

Old ones VS new ones.

brushes_orionV2.jpg

Shure they are shorter but I really thought the new one would be longer. Just from my feeling, I´d give the old ones another few runs, right?

As long as they make good contacts.

However, burnt surfaces reduce conductivity, so you might want to clean them a bit.   

Also, make sure that the springs are pushing the brushes all the way down.  

• Thanks 1

Clean the brushes with some 1500 paper. Then run your motor in a glass of demineralized water for 15 mins on a 4.8 volt pack hooked up directly. Blow it dry with compressed air while it is running. Lube the bearings when it's dry.

Your brushes are most likely burnt due to incorrect break in. Running it in the water after cleaning the brushes with sand paper, will also clean the rotor and give you good contact. Good contact and clean surfaces = less heat and more speed.

The brushes in the picture has a lot left. Just take them out occassionally and see if there's full surface contact. When there is not, time for new brushes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DK308 said:

Clean the brushes with some 1500 paper. Then run your motor in a glass of demineralized water for 15 mins on a 4.8 volt pack hooked up directly. Blow it dry with compressed air while it is running. Lube the bearings when it's dry.

I’ve heard of this but never done it, so you actually run the motor completely submerged in the water?

26 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

I’ve heard of this but never done it, so you actually run the motor completely submerged in the water?

Yup. Hook it directly to a 4 cell nimh pack and just dunk it right in. Best way to break in and clean brushed motors. You'll be surprised at how dirty that water will be once done.

Here are some easy steps to follow for best results.

Once done running in the water, remove it from the water while it is still running.

With the motor running, blow it as dry as possible with compressed air spray.

With the motor still running and holding it so that the shaft faces down, spray Duratrax Powershot "up" in the motor. This will get the last gunk and water out. 

Give it another good blow of air.

Unplug it and lube the bearings.

That's it. 

Remember that your motor should spin the same direction when you break it in or clean it, as it spins when run in your rig. For a brand new motor or a really dirty one, just let it "stew" in the water for 30 mins.

Don't use lipos for this, and anything above a 4 cell nimh will just wear things rather than break them in or clean them in my experience. 

If it's a really slow motor like a stock 540 or lower rpm, you can use a 5 cell pack. But for anything half decent spinning 20k+ rpm. 4.8 volts is the ticket. 

• Thanks 2