cliffw0970

Brat Paint Help

I recently had a Brat delivered, not started the build yet but my mind is already wandering to paint!

As this comes with two body's (hard and PC) I'm struggling to get my head round paint. The hard body will be box art, so I presume I need non polycarbonate paints, the red spray, blacks, clear red and yellow for lights etc.

My question is:- Am I going to have to buy all these paints AGAIN in PC for the softer shell? 

I also notice a couple of the original colours are no longer manufactured, I could be wrong?

This one kept me awake last night, so any help appreciated.

Thanks,

• Haha 1

For the hard body just buy car body paints from halfords or similar auto spares shops. You get giant cans in a billion different colours.

For the polycarbonate shell use tamiya PS paint range.

• Like 2

Yes, 2 different kinds of paints are needed.  

To be precise, you could paint Polycarbonate paint on both shells, but hardbody paint cannot be used on Lexan.  

Regular paint is hard, so it will chip away if polycarbonate shell flexes.  Policarbonate paint is flexible. 

Finally getting round to staring the body's.

What do people typically do with the decals? I notice there is one set.

Should i use them for the poly body or the hard body? decisions decisions

Just cant decide so any recommendations welcome.

There is sort of 1 and a half sets of decals. I used most on my hard body to make a nice job of it (even though its not quite box art) using auto paint on it. Then I just used up what PS paint I had for the Polycarb' body as thats the runner shell. What I didn't realise is that there a different rear body posts for each shell. I managed to strip the thread where the screw goes in the chassis for the posts, so I now have a 25mm long screw with a nut on the end so they can be swapped over as desired.

This is my Brat in my showroom..

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=133957&id=49381

Enjoy it they look great when they are finished ;)

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

There is sort of 1 and a half sets of decals. I used most on my hard body to make a nice job of it (even though its not quite box art) using auto paint on it. Then I just used up what PS paint I had for the Polycarb' body as thats the runner shell. What I didn't realise is that there a different rear body posts for each shell. I managed to strip the thread where the screw goes in the chassis for the posts, so I now have a 25mm long screw with a nut on the end so they can be swapped over as desired.

This is my Brat in my showroom..

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=133957&id=49381

Enjoy it they look great when they are finished ;)

Thanks for that.

I had an inkling that was the case with the decals. After thinking about it, I don't plan on using that many (if any) on the basher body. Decided to go stealth and do a mat black. I am going to try and lay some decals on top of the body and spray some clear flat. Hoping that it gives the effect of a mat paint finish with the Tamiya stars gloss on the bonnet (and potentially other places). Could go horribly wrong but I have an image in my head.

I've done exactly the same with the threads on the posts. Didn't realise there were two sets though, explains why I am not happy with the they way the PC body sits, I must have the hard body posts on. I will likely bolt something through as you have done.

If its not a complete disaster, i will post the end result.

Cheers,

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 8:15 PM, cliffw0970 said:

I've done exactly the same with the threads on the posts.

The Monster Beetle has a screw and nut in the kit. 
2774B8D9-A41E-4CD2-911B-80B2494E1BFE.md.