Juhunio

Brushless Boomerang Re:Re Bigwig Shock Conversion Build

As a final note, the 4mm Tamiya clamp wheel hubs (53570) create a perfect fit with the Kyosho Pepperpot wheels

As per @ThunderDragonCy's advice I added the longer eyelet to the front shocks to create the same length shock as the Bigwig. I also swapped back to the kit-supplied soft yellow damper oil for now, so its first few runs will be with the shocks set up as per kit instructions. I'll experiment with the heavier (medium) oil options from there

Now just need the rain to stop and to find somewhere to race it, and folks to race with....

• Like 1

Glad I found this thread as it showed a lot of parts to questions I have.

One question I do have though is I got my Hobbywing 3200 with the Max10 ESC. On the pinion gear it say 16t and beside my old Trinity Brushed Monster it looks the same size in diameter. However the teeth or different and well things will not mesh at all. I can't take the pinion off the Trinity as the shaft is much thinner.

Did I miss the obvious here on what am I looking for if it is not tooth size?

BTW great job on the car :)

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 9:01 PM, Dersnap said:

Glad I found this thread as it showed a lot of parts to questions I have.

One question I do have though is I got my Hobbywing 3200 with the Max10 ESC. On the pinion gear it say 16t and beside my old Trinity Brushed Monster it looks the same size in diameter. However the teeth or different and well things will not mesh at all. I can't take the pinion off the Trinity as the shaft is much thinner.

Did I miss the obvious here on what am I looking for if it is not tooth size?

BTW great job on the car :)

Thanks for the feedback! Keeping fingers crossed that this dry spell holds out and might even be able to drive it again this weekend!

Is the pinion the correct pitch? For a Boomerang you need either 08mod (Tamiya original parts) or 32DP (eg by RW Racing) pinions. Both have 5mm bore for 540 motors, RW Racing 32DP pinions offer a wider range of teeth counts, so more flexibility

Tamico shop which has been greatly helping me out and I highly recommend had mentioned that on the gear being .8 not .6 like some of the newer models and likely what the Hobby Wing pinion is.

Still I wasn't sure about the bore as the Hobby Wing seemed really thick.

I upgraded to the Alloy Supershot drive shaft it seems far more solid. Itching to get this machine going but there is always a small part or two missing. When closer to ready I will post pictures.

Thanks again for the info.

• Like 1

Did the first run this weekend (2X) and the machine is stupid fast. I am only on a 3200 so your Hobby Wing 4K must be insane.

17Tooth now fitted correctly. What I notice is the tires (old originals) do not hold at all. Especially on turning. Running a Futaba 3PV with Telemetry, and a Savox Servo.

Still need to decide on dampers and if it is worth going for the 3 Tamiya or if something like this is ok?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/272596195714

Or others?

The GPM Front Knuckles do look nice compared to the plastic but the ball joints came undone testing today. I used some thread locker now.

also have the 12mm hex adapters from GPM for the wheels but the first wheels I ordered ended up being too small. I would like to find something alloy if possible.

Biggest question now really seems to be the dampers and wheels. So close yet so far :D

5 hours ago, Dersnap said:

Still need to decide on dampers and if it is worth going for the 3 Tamiya or if something like this is ok?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/272596195714

Or others?

The GPM Front Knuckles do look nice compared to the plastic but the ball joints came undone testing today. I used some thread locker now

Can't speak for 3rd party dampers, there are plenty of others on here who have had good joy with them though. I bought the DF03 dampers from RCMart, where the price is much more viable even factoring in the postage 

My front uprights are Jazrider and I've had no problems with them coming undone, compared to the original plastic ones on my Bigwig which tore straight out of the thread on the 6th run! 

Saying all that, a mixture of busy life and appalling weather means I haven't really given the Boomerang an extended run yet so don't know how long-term durable they are. Roll on Spring!

13 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Can't speak for 3rd party dampers, there are plenty of others on here who have had good joy with them though. I bought the DF03 dampers from RCMart, where the price is much more viable even factoring in the postage 

My front uprights are Jazrider and I've had no problems with them coming undone, compared to the original plastic ones on my Bigwig which tore straight out of the thread on the 6th run! 

Saying all that, a mixture of busy life and appalling weather means I haven't really given the Boomerang an extended run yet so don't know how long-term durable they are. Roll on Spring!

I hear you on the weather as even here in Berlin when I am out testing after a few moments the hands get really cold. Also not good for the old plastic if one runs into anything. So far though and actually going forwards this machine will not get abused with jumps and stuff. He will though go fast down the street (and does). 

My universals are done in the front so I am going to also replace them. Seen some after market ones that seem to be a true universal. I am trying to figure out which these are or what fits. 

I must say though it is a nice break from working on our new ERP system at work and all the daily grind that entails, and much smaller than a real car :D

The rear dampers on the bigwig are they the same size as the Boomerang/super Saber? When I mounted the new shock mount it seems like the dampers are too short. Actually way too short.

Soon I will have the DF03's but I am doing some mock ups to determine the spacers I needed. 

So I had the car out this weekend for the first real run. What happened though was the CVD kept popping out of the Differential cup. Seems with the original Super Saber Rear shock mounts it extends a bit too far. When i put on the new one I think there is slightly less travel and sits the car slightly lower. Either way it does not really matter as I cracked the two upper control arms (33 years old) and after a crash managed to break the front shell for the differential.

Question:

Can or has anyone skipped using the upper control arms and instead used turn buckles.

If so then part two would be what other lower arms could fit the same mounts on the differential as maybe there is something in alloy that could fit?

Actually aluminium gear box shells would be the best if anyone ever made them as I think that is the area most likely to fracture.

Awesome build @Juhunio, really impressive. Amazing colour scheme and livery, works really well on the Boomerang. 

Love the wheels also. Question: What is the wheel diameter you used on this? Is this 1.9inch or 2.2inch? 

Cheers :)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Awesome build @Juhunio, really impressive. Amazing colour scheme and livery, works really well on the Boomerang. 

Love the wheels also. Question: What is the wheel diameter you used on this? Is this 1.9inch or 2.2inch? 

They are the JC Racing Products 2.2 replicas. I have some on my thunder dragon

"Wheels" https://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/vintage-wheels/wheels?page=2

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Thanks for the kind feedback, much appreciated!

As @ThunderDragonCy says the wheels are JC replicas, specifically the 4WD Optima replicas

https://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/kyosho-optima