mtbkym01

Silver Sport Tuned?

Announced I think on tamiyablog a little while ago, more cost cutting it seems.

I like the black can version, shame

• Like 2

• Like 1

Just now, taffer said:

Yeah ok, missed that, glad I’ve got a couple black ones NIB still

Black Cans were a neat looking motor.

I hope they re-release them B)

A Silver Black Can doesn't look or sound right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Someone needs to test one of these against a sport tuned black can - the new silver one says 23 turns on the box. The old one when opened up only had 27 and it never said on the box. This could potentially be quite a bit pokier as its the same number of turns as a superstock

• Like 1

When i say someone i havent found one in the uk yet - everyone still seems to have lots of the old ones in stock

On 9/17/2019 at 12:32 PM, Superluminal said:

Someone needs to test one of these against a sport tuned black can -  

Good point.  

This (old catalog) says it uses 23t of 0.8mm wire, instead of 27t, 0.65mm wire of RS-540SH.  

However, Blackholesun said that the older one might have been 23t, but recent ones are 27t with advanced timing. This also makes sense.  This old catalog says its axle is 4mm longer, but there are photos with shorter (normal) axles.  Obviously, something did change since the 90's.  

So, someone does need to open up the newest Silver-Sport-Tuned motor for science.   

CcP5KeD.jpg

oZsuFsq.jpg

I found a Chinese motor with "sport tuned" sticker on it.  lol... 

s3NIlwF.jpg

I picked up one of these as a spare motor in Brisbane a couple of months ago. The Hobby shop owner pointed out to me that they are now Silver Black cans before I left the shop as someone else bought one and rang them once they were home because they were a bit miffed it wasn’t black when they opened the box 😬

Still doesn’t really worry me, but it does look/ feel a bit cheaper than a proper black one in the hand, but they should be easier to dismantle as there are 4 tiny lugs holding it together. 

I haven’t run it yet but If I get a chance sometime I might be able to do a comparison in the ORV chassis. 

Here’s a close up if you’re interested, I haven’t tried to pull it apart but you can see the 4 small lugs holding it together,

91DEA703-8000-41E3-A3E7-6C5DF6573FD9.md.

• Like 1

There was a brown sport tuned as well, think this was before they were black?

New Sport Tuned got delivered from Amazon. 

The box looks mostly the same, except it shows a silver can with a sticker.    

I was going to say it doesn't look too bad... 

sW1tIM2.jpg

But the backside is as smooth as a baby's bottom.  Same as the silver can!  This is uncool.  Not even a smaller black sticker?  To show some...coolness?  I thought Japanese people knew how to present stuff.  When you mount the motor, sometimes the sticker could face the ground, because of the wire lengths and what-not.  Then it won't look like Sport Tuned at all.  

Sport Tuned is my favorite motor.  I am a bit disappointed.  How could they put a dog in sheep's clothing? (I won't say wolf, because this motor isn't that fast...)  Give me something!  I'll even take a Tamiya logo!  

MvcSPJ9.jpg

It is a bit of an anticlimax opening the box now isn’t it @Juggular?😕

Looks like we will have to invest in some Black heat resistant paint, or sell all the exposed motor vehicle’s you have and stick to SRB’s so at least you can’t see it inside the gear casing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If its anything like when they change food packaging, the food never tastes the same!  I would bet there is something else that's been changed!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

If its anything like when they change food packaging, the food never tastes the same!  I would bet there is something else that's been changed!

Well it looks like the previous black one was 27t with the timing advanced a bunch to bring the rpm up compared to a normal silver can. The new silver one looks to be 23t with mild or zero timing. Theoretically the new one should be a bit more powerful, but spin about the same rpm. It's likely that the new one is more of a generic motor so is cheaper to produce. Statically advancing the motor timing a bunch isn't usually done outside of RC because it makes the motor less efficient, so the black motor might have cost more to produce as it has non standard manufacturing.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 11:19 AM, nbTMM said:

Well it looks like the previous black one was 27t with the timing advanced a bunch to bring the rpm up compared to a normal silver can. The new silver one looks to be 23t with mild or zero timing. Theoretically the new one should be a bit more powerful, but spin about the same rpm. It's likely that the new one is more of a generic motor so is cheaper to produce. Statically advancing the motor timing a bunch isn't usually done outside of RC because it makes the motor less efficient, so the black motor might have cost more to produce as it has non standard manufacturing.

That's interesting.  Your post made me look at the end bell again!  

I wonder if timing can be adjusted.  The tabs that were preventing the end bell from rotating don't exist here.   Then again, what's preventing the end bell from freely rotate against torque? Tight fit?  I'll check it out when I go home.  

X6hMyB5.jpg

Those two punched-in tabs on the top (between the rear ends of the arrows in pic above) and bottom of the end plate are fitted between the can magnets.  That thing isn't rotating unless you flatten/remove those first. :lol:

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 10:16 PM, Champ85 said:

Those two punched-in tabs on the top (between the rear ends of the arrows in pic above) and bottom of the end plate are fitted between the can magnets.  That thing isn't rotating unless you flatten/remove those first. :lol:

Yes, that's how I saw these cans sealed for years.  Somehow though, new Sport Tuned isn't done that way, which makes me scratch my head.  How is the end bell not freely rotating...:huh:   Everything is same as regular silver can, just the big tabs are not crimped.  But it's not easily rotating.  I can't see any glue or solder. 

Maybe Tamiya figured that the four tiny crimps were enough?  The torque is only 380g/cm.  Powerful as they seem, these motors don't even generate quarter pound of force per centimeter.  

uGRia5u.jpg

A quarter pound is as heavy as this... not that hard to lift.  So maybe big tabs had been an overkill?  I don't know.  

XPldiHM.jpg

Well ( drum roll please ) I snagged a morning today to run my ORV with the Black Black can, then the newer Silver Black can on 2s. 

Now take the results as you will as the Black Black can has been used a few times mainly in my Blitzer compared to the Silver Black which is fresh out the box bar 15/20 minutes bench run from a single AA battery before installing it in the chassis.

Black Black first up... 

0F5CC26A-227E-437A-BE31-8FB8A313372A.md.

Maximum 39 Km/r

ABED0965-F20F-4EDD-BC25-B5B2F5145C7F.md.

Silver Black....

AADF71B4-DE3B-49C6-AAFD-DA18D94D8DBC.md.

Maximum 46Km/h 😁👍🏻...

http://26280717-BFCB-41A8-BF9C-D51A6776D3E5.md.

So there we have it. I my case the Silver Black is a bit faster over the Black Black. 
There is mention of the ‘RS540 used as a base, with turns & timing tuned for more efficiency, power with minimal battery drain’  on the side of the box.

I’m not going to argue with that, I’m more than happy with it’s performance 👍🏻

• Thanks 3

On 9/22/2019 at 1:33 PM, berman said:

Yes. I bought a Sport Tuned in 2017 and it was greenish brown. I thought it was very strange that it wasn't black like all of the pictures I saw.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 12:50 AM, Quailane said:
On 9/22/2019 at 1:33 AM, berman said:

Yes. I bought a Sport Tuned in 2017 and it was greenish brown. I thought it was very strange that it wasn't black like all of the pictures I saw.

Ditto. my first Sport Tuned I ever bought was like this as well as the one from my original Stadium Thunder.

• Like 1

I have one somewhere, but it's shot. Always intended to cut it open and count the winds and thickness as I had an inkling this might have something to do with the age old mystery of the 27 vs 25 turn debacle of the past. 

• Like 1

Pleased to hear Silver wins. Just put one in my Asterion. Yet to run it!