Apollo11

Clodbuster paint job gone pear shaped

I always think it's a good idea to give the body a key before painting. It's especially a good idea when doing things like rear wings where you have the deep channel between the side panels and the main body of the wing, as paint doesn't tend to like to get in there to begin with, and if it's nice and shiny, it definitely won't want to stick to anything there. Same applied to things like grilles, vents etc. Personally I use a scotchbrite or scouring pad as I find it much easier to squish into those features than wet and dry paper.

12 hours ago, J@mes said:

Really? You key lexan shells @jonboy1 ?

Yes @J@mes I really do! :P 

I wouldn't paint a hard body shell without giving it a key - the surface is usually quite smooth and shiny, meaning the paint won't get a good grip and could lead to uneven finish, pin holes or flaking. Lexan bodies re just as smooth and shiny, and they depend just as much on a good key to make sure the paint doesn't flake - even more so maybe due to the flexing of the bodies. So I always give them a key. You don't see it when it's painted, so it is a no brainer to me.

I've got the hang of the score and snap technique for removing the excess around the lexan body. For the round holes I plan to use a 3mm drill bit. Although I am wondering if hand held would be safer, or if fitting it to the drill would result in a smoother finish? However my main question is what is the best method for cutting out the more rectangular shaped slots? I have tried using a modelling knife, but it takes ages and produces a really jagged finish.

Re the square holes, umm I would if I wanted perfection drill the corners , exacto or Dremel undersize and file to final dimension. Sanding block with about 220 grit gets the edges nice and flat. What body is it, a lexan clod?

Edit, Nm a super shot...nice.

I'm not going to claim that it's perfect. Some lessons learned for future reference. But as promised, here are some photos of the finished article.

IMG_6642.JPG

IMG_6643.JPG

IMG_6644.JPG

IMG_6645.JPG

IMG_6649.JPG

• Like 6