markbt73

Ultima restoration project

So I recently got a promotion at work, and a small raise, and I decided to treat myself. I considered buying something new; there are a couple of kits I've had my eye on, but instead my recent re-obsession with mechanical speed controls made me look at what was floating around eBay instead. I already have a couple of cars with Tamiya MSCs (a Blackfoot and a Futaba FX10), so I went looking for Kyosho. And when this lovely old beastie popped up with a BIN price of $130, I decided to give it a good home.

20190918_122915

It's in good shape, but it has obviously been sitting a while. Like, decades, I would imagine. The tires are hard, the screws are rusty, and some of the aluminum is pitted. But it shows very little wear underneath, even though the bushings are pretty sloppy, so it was likely someone's neighborhood basher, mostly run on the street. The two "mystery holes" in the chassis are disappointing, but not a huge deal.

20190918_123026

Up top, it has a basic Futaba Attack 75 mhz radio system with "G" plugs. It didn't come with crystals, but I stuck some in and everything fired up and worked fine. It has the later style heavy-duty Kyosho speed control rather than the old "spot-welder special" that the Ultima usually came with. I don't know if this was a production change on Kyosho's end, or a replacement by the owner, but it works and it looks like it belongs, so it's staying. It also has a big aftermarket Andy's nylon bumper and some aluminum shock collars to replace the always-broken plastic collars. (They're on upside-down, but I'll fix that.)

20190918_122959

There appears to be only one part missing: the gear cover. But I'll find one; I think even a new re-re- Optima one might fit. The outer gears are in fine shape, and the Ultima used a plastic final pinion instead of the Optima's aluminum one, so I'm sure the inner gears are fine too. Obviously I'll tear it apart and install bearings.

20190918_123317

The plan is to completely disassemble and rebuild it, probably with a stainless steel screw set (I like the look; if you don't, build your own Ultima) and full bearings, but no other changes, and use it as an occasional light runner, like most of my other cars these days. Stay tuned for more Ultima goodness...

• Like 8

So jelly of your find. Unfortunately down here in Australia, it’s very rare that such buys come along. I’ve been looking for. ultima for a very long time, and when they do come up, they are very expensive. Finding one overseas based is easier, but the weak AUD and extreme postage costs makes it very expensive also.

I’m not complaining as I’ve done very well with some projects over time (where some have been given to me etc, like my current RR resto).

will be watching your project with slots of interest B)

The Ultima is a very nice looking buggy. I wouldn't mind owning one someday if possible. I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

The Ultima is one of my all time favourite cars! (and first race car, and my own build thread on here 😁)

With the re release Ultima about to hit the shelves shortly, I would think a few parts, such as the gear cover ,shock collars (although I think the optima fit) and bumper, will come available to buy.

Schumacher 2" tyres work really well (actually preferred them on carpet bitd too) and, like all the other alloy pinions, wear real quick filling the cover with alloy dust.

Enjoy the build, great cars, the only issue with them, was if you had a slight front impact, it folded the aluminum chassis up, snapping the top deck in the process.

The top deck can be replaced with an aftermarket frp or carbon part.  In fact I think the upcoming re re has a reinforced top deck.  Me and my lad have two original Ultimas (one dressed as a turbo) and an original aluminium chassis'd pro.  They are fantastic runners and still hold up today.  Awesome 

• Like 2

Finally had time to dig into this car. Broke it down into components...

20191129_122844

Eww...

20191129_122958

The plastic parts are all in beautiful shape, though. Should clean up nicely.

20191129_123029

The hardware, however, is beyond saving. Almost every single screw thread is rusty, and some of the screws into aluminum parts were seized. I got them all out without breaking or stripping anything, but a new SS hardware kit is definitely in order. I already have a Fast Eddy bearing set to go in it. The, all I need to do is find a gear cover and a front bumper (re-re parts shoudl work, it looks like, if I can't find originals) and I'll be all set.

Time to start cleaning parts...

• Like 5

Just a query, but doesn't it cause the ally to corrode if you leave it touching steel for a long time? I gather this was why when Aston Martin built their 'Superleggera' cars, with complex frameworks of small steel tubes under thin ally body panels, they had to put wax or leather pads between the two materials to prevent the inevitable galvanic corrosion making the whole system completely unworkable.