The Twingo Lord

Lunchbox jumping problems

Sooo, when I jump my lunchbox rere up curbs, the front bumper hits the front wheels, so I took it off. Anyone else having this issue? When I have a chance I’m probably gonna dremel some of the corner off, is that a good idea? TIA!

I'm beginning to feel really sorry for your Lunchbox. I mean, it sounds like you're having fun, but man, that poor little thing...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

I'm beginning to feel really sorry for your Lunchbox. I mean, it sounds like you're having fun, but man, that poor little thing...

Yea, I’m gonna do something for it soon, maybe a rebuild of everything over the winter!

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 12:08 AM, NobbySideways said:

I suspect it might not get to winter...

Well a gear lost a tooth, so it’s out of commission (yes I broke a lunchie gearbox, actually my friend did, landed while quarter throttle.) so I’m gonna get a metal replacement!

I find they're not the best jumpers anyway BUT it is indeed true that the front bumper causes it to catch on obstacles much easier. I usually take mine off when I run at the beach because if the bumper catches and digs in it flips it onto the roof.

I’m picturing a lunchbox being driven towards a 6” upright curb

please tell me I’m imagining this wrong?

JJ

I am also having trouble picturing this. The Lunchbox is really not the ideal vehicle for this sort of shenanigans. It has a very high centre of gravity, poor suspension, a hard ABS shell which that doesn't absorb punishment well, and it changes direction like a sleepy St Bernard.

I am guessing that when you say you are jumping it up kerbs, you mean dropped kerbs, not the full-height kerbs @Problemchild was referring to above. So you drive over the lowered kerb, the front wheels bounce up, hit the bumper and cause the car to stop, roll over or some other unwanted action. Taking the bumper off might prevent this, but if you're doing that sort of thing with no bumper you're eventually going to crack the chassis and the car will be unusable.

Of course, if you really are trying to drive the car up a full-height kerb then I don't think there is anything anyone here can do for you.

Either way, if it's causing a problem, might I suggest just not doing it?

1 minute ago, Yalson said:

I am also having trouble picturing this. The Lunchbox is really not the ideal vehicle for this sort of shenanigans. It has a very high centre of gravity, poor suspension, a hard ABS shell which that doesn't absorb punishment well, and it changes direction like a sleepy St Bernard.

I am guessing that when you say you are jumping it up kerbs, you mean dropped kerbs, not the full-height kerbs @Problemchild was referring to above. So you drive over the lowered kerb, the front wheels bounce up, hit the bumper and cause the car to stop, roll over or some other unwanted action. Taking the bumper off might prevent this, but if you're doing that sort of thing with no bumper you're eventually going to crack the chassis and the car will be unusable.

Of course, if you really are trying to drive the car up a full-height kerb then I don't think there is anything anyone here can do for you.

Either way, if it's causing a problem, might I suggest just not doing it?

It’s one of the sloped one in front of my house, and I took the chrome bumper on the shell off, the useful one is still there, also excuse the electronics inside 

image.jpg

7 minutes ago, The Twingo Lord said:

It’s one of the sloped one in front of my house, and I took the chrome bumper on the shell off, the useful one is still there, also excuse the electronics inside

Ah, I get you. Fair enough.

Ouch - I still wouldn’t ;)

its short and quite steep 

I’d put a thin bit of plywood down so it bends ;)

JJ

On 9/23/2019 at 3:08 PM, MockTurtle said:

reminds me of this video: 

Everybody winced when it slid down the hill on its shell?  

But I must say; I admire how hard-working this Lunch box is.  This is one tough soldier.  I'd say, have fun, break it and fix it.  (I wouldn't say that to the vintage Sand Rover. But Lunch Box parts are abundant)  

Also, front suspension upgrade to double wishbone should help a lot. 

I couldn't edit to add a picture.  This is what it looks like. 

9WP8h6c.jpg

• Like 1

Get a few cable ties on those electronics, seriously. I do use my stuff hard but I keep on top of the servicing and housekeeping and it works all the better for it. 

Have some love for your gear, it looks at the moment like you are just abusing it. 

All those electronics are extras, it’s nit running ATM, it has a set of brushed electronics and the parts from my hpi bullet, that thing’s a pain to get running, so I gave up

So guys, I got an Arrma Notorious yesterday, well ran it for the first time yesterday. Which means I’ll be treating the lunchbox much nicer! That thing is a beast.

• Like 2