toyolien

TT02 Type S Rally Car Project.

I've wanted a rally car for some time now. Having looked at various options I settled on the TT02. This will be a rally car, an on road car, and a drift car also.

I spent some time reading up on the TT02 and it seemed to tick all the boxes. I opted for the Type S which has some tasty upgrades over the standard TT02. 

So here we go. I started with the wheels. I'm still waiting on the wheels to put the kit on road tires on to.

8aIHXq2.jpg

I'm sure you've all seen the TT02 chassis a million times before, but I haven't, and i like it. This is my first 4wd car since my 1990 Pro-Cat!

ndHG3pf.jpg

0Fei6L2.jpg

I knocked this little piece up. Any guess as to what it's for?

7h5InNP.jpg

A little guard to keep stones out of the steering.

AOCZxwd.jpg

7uR2p7b.jpg

xkSX5i7.jpg

More coming soon, thanks for looking.

• Like 12

These are great cars,  you may need to do a little trimming on the arms to get more droop/travel. Probably go for GF-01 alloy damper set for extra travel, these will by far the best option for length vs travel as well as giving solid smooth travel, about 25-30% more than CVA mini.  There’s plenty of room from memory for those shocks.  

You can swap them over to m chassis or 42102, for street duties.

You might like to consider some alloy c hubs, the factory plastic ones flex forwards under compression giving positive caster as the suspension moves through its travel, not what you want off road. You’ll see for yourself as you complete the build. 

That chassis is a great fun setup, I’m sure you’ll get a lot of joy from it for your intended purpose. 

Juls

On 9/20/2019 at 8:12 AM, novicelad said:

Awesome Scale garage! 

Thanks. Started it a couple of years ago. Needs some weathering next 👍

1 hour ago, Juls1 said:

These are great cars,  you may need to do a little trimming on the arms to get more droop/travel. Probably go for GF-01 alloy damper set for extra travel, these will by far the best option for length vs travel as well as giving solid smooth travel, about 25-30% more than CVA mini.  There’s plenty of room from memory for those shocks.  

You can swap them over to m chassis or 42102, for street duties.

You might like to consider some alloy c hubs, the factory plastic ones flex forwards under compression giving positive caster as the suspension moves through its travel, not what you want off road. You’ll see for yourself as you complete the build. 

That chassis is a great fun setup, I’m sure you’ll get a lot of joy from it for your intended purpose. 

Juls

Thank you. Already trimmed the front arms to get a similar drop to the rear ones.👍I've got the 55mm 42102 shocks which seem the maximum length without using longer shafts so I'll stick with these. I've got 26mm of clearance under the centre of the chassis so I think that'll do. Especially as it will double up as a drift and on road car.

Which alloy c hubs do you recommend? Seems like either the TA05 or TRF416 hubs would fit but not sure enough to order yet. But you're right, the kit ones are super flexy....

• Like 1

Much appreciated. I'll grab a pair to try 👍I'd forgotten about the FF03 too.

edit* just noticed that those hubs are 4 degree. That ok?

For your application it’s fine, for rally a bit more would be nice, but I don’t think such a part exists. 

Going to be following this, on the hunt for a rally car. Was looking at TB-01’s initially however I think your project is inspiring me to have a nosey at the TT02. Nice touch the custom guard for the steering. 👍🏻

The steering rock shield is genius. Tamiya should make that part and include it in the rally kits. 

Nice garage, too.

Good thinking with the steering rock guard - I might steal that idea :)

On 9/27/2019 at 4:41 PM, Seanster43 said:

Going to be following this, on the hunt for a rally car. Was looking at TB-01’s initially however I think your project is inspiring me to have a nosey at the TT02. Nice touch the custom guard for the steering. 👍🏻

Thanks very much. It's my first time with a TT02, and It's a nice set up. Should be a great rally car.

On 9/29/2019 at 3:07 PM, Big Jon said:

The steering rock shield is genius. Tamiya should make that part and include it in the rally kits. 

Nice garage, too.

Thanks. It's such a simple piece, and wouldn't cost much for them to make at all. It could even be out of lexan.

On 10/1/2019 at 1:40 PM, nbTMM said:

Good thinking with the steering rock guard - I might steal that idea :)

Thanks. Steal away!

I've been slowly working on this as well as my Konghead. The electrics are in, the body is done, and I've only got the interior left to do and then I can go for a drive!

I've opted for a Hobbywing Quicrun 10.5t motor and 120a esc.

b1q5zD4.jpg

OEoSdl1.jpg

q3mN3HA.jpg

npNfUlz.jpg

u0mIkfq.jpg

yEzJ0oz.jpg

I bought this 5 quid body from China as a basher, and getting past the terrible logos, it actually fits quite nice.

7zYTiEc.jpg

But I've actually settled on a 2008 Impreza as the 'proper' body.

55lcVul.jpg

I knew I didn't want to go box art, so I had a look in my 'paint cupboard' to see what half used cans I had, and settle on these. I didn't really have an exact plan for the body and ended up with this.

yJhq3w1.jpg

83sJg4z.jpg

NMUVOI4.jpg

vqfmpYO.jpg

And here it is decalled up. I can't quite decide if it needs something down each side, but I'll ponder that.

W72zTTU.jpg

yThGxSa.jpg

YNhMiWm.jpg

ZolD5Zu.jpg

All mounted up. (Yes, I'm going to cut down the body posts).

22yDqnN.jpg

3Qxal3P.jpg

UA1RkLp.jpg

V0SKYL2.jpg

That's where I'm up to for now. Next up will hopefully be the interior... although I do have a DT-03 that keeps staring at me...

Thanks for looking.

• Like 12

20 hours ago, toyolien said:

And here it is decalled up. I can't quite decide if it needs something down each side, but I'll ponder that.

Less is more. Looks fantastic as it is

26 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

Does it go sideways? 

Yes. Very nicely👍

First time out as a rally car it got absolutely filthy! So I stripped it, cleaned it and it'll now be a drifter over the winter and a rally machine in the summer.

20191114_224338.jpg

20191115_213347.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Love it, really like that body. 

Thank you. It's back as a Rally car now I've started a TT02 for drifting:D

• Like 1

It's a pity no-one makes an M-sized 6R4 shell, although that does look good.