Sign in to follow this  
87lc2

Clod bodied, MST axled, SCX10 framed project

Technnically the only thing about this truck that Tamiya is the body, but thought you guys might appreciate it.  I had an extra Clod body and a set of really nice 1.9 military style beadlock wheels and decided I needed to use them somewhere, this truck is the result.

Started with an SCX10 frame and lift plates, 2-speed trans, and a set of MST axles.  I chose the MST axles because of th narrow width.  Even with them being so narrow the tires still stick out from the fenders of the Clod body, but I like the look.  Might add fender flares later, but we'll see.  Running a Tamiya silver can and Hobbywing 1080 ESC.  Shocks are scale 100mm units from who knows where (found them in my stash).  As far as the Clod body it's pretty much stock with a matte Forest Green paint job.  I did cut out the center section of the intake on the hood so it looks functional, was never a fan of the sticker.  Also removed the lights from the roll bar.  I love how the Clod roll bar looks, just didnt really want the ligths for this one.  Headlights are functional, but all other lights are just painted on, didnt want to go hacking up the body for LEDs.

The 2 speed is nice, crawls really well in low and moves at a good pace in high.  Unfortunately it's quite narrow with the MST axles and top heavy with the Clod body, but as long as I'm careful it crawls pretty well.  I think it will really shine in the mud, but have yet to run it in the mud.  If it turns out to be a good mud truck I might swap a set of RC4WD Tractor tires on it.

IMG_6041 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6046.JPG

IMG_6050.JPG

IMG_6053.JPG

IMG_6058.JPG

• Like 5

Nice rig.  I do like a clod-bod.  When I saw "MST axles" I expected smaller tyres and more of a class 1 lift, with that much lift I think you could use wider axles and not ruin the look.

I like it. The stance is reminiscent of a road-legal truck running 44's (ok, maybe 48's ;)). As a licensed PA inspection mechanic, I might have to measure your bumper height though :lol:.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I like it. The stance is reminiscent of a road-legal truck running 44's (ok, maybe 48's ;)). As a licensed PA inspection mechanic, I might have to measure your bumper height though :lol:.

Ha! And check the tire coverage. We actually got pulled over outside of Carlisle and the state trooped got out the tape measure and went through our truck. For 30 minutes.....on the side of the turnpike. 

The build looks fantastic BTW!  I've got a clod body and some MST axles laying around.....Hmmm.... 

6 hours ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

Ha! And check the tire coverage.

Yeah. At the shop, if you dropped a straight edge down vertically from outermost part of the fender (or fender flare) and it hit any section of the tread, they'd fail it for inspection. I usually let any sidewall bulge past that go though. I hate bumper height laws. Technically, my jacked-up Nova's rear bumper is a bit too high but antique tags get me out of inspection.

I love this truck @87lc2 has come up with. It so reminds me of the trucks my classmates had growing up.

That's sort of what I was going for Saito, the street-driven 44/48" tire look.  At first I thought the tires were a bit big (just had them lying around), but they're growing on me.   As I said in the opening post it is a bit top heavy, but don't really want to widen it as I like where the tires sit laterally at the moment.

As far as bumper height, yea, that might be a problem on PA roads...guess I need mud flaps.