Bobby99

Switching Between Horn and Coupler

I am building a Tamiya Grand Hauler (#56356). I am installing the MFC-01 MFC (#56511) and using the Tamiya Attack 4YWD-2.4G Radio Control (#7255252) with the supplied 4-channel receiver. I am building the Flatbed Semi-Trailer (56306) and using the Motorized Support Legs kit (56505). I am using a Hitec HS-322HD servo for the coupler. Everything functioned perfectly right out of the box with no adjustments needed EXCEPT the coupler servo will not operate. I’ve checked all the wiring several times and am convinced all the connections are correct. I’ve plugged the servo into the steering port to prove that it functions (if does). On page 10 of the MFC instruction manual, there are instructions for switching between Horn mode and Support Legs mode. “Slide 4ch (L) trim lever completely to the right. Push the stick completely to the right to conduct the following operations listed below.”  I do this, but the right stick continues to be in the horn mode. It will not operate the coupler servo. Anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

Is there any configuration / calibration you need to do on channel 4?  It might be worth checking that's done.

I use the coupler on an MFC-01 and MFC-03 and have no problem with either.  The MFC-03 uses an Attack 4YWD and the 01 uses a Carson 6-channel handset with sliders.

To be clear - the instructions to enter "trailer leg mode" are to move the Ch4 slider fully right, then move the Ch4 lever (gear change channel) fully to the right, then release the stick to the centre position.  It's not clear from your description whether you've done that or not.  This toggles trailer leg mode.  The hazard lights should flash once to indicate the mode change.  At that point, the right stick should operate the coupler / trailer leg servo.  To toggle out of trailer leg mode, slide the Ch4 trim fully right again (unless you forgot to centre it after toggling mode on, which I usually do), then move the stick fully right and release.  The hazard light should flash again and horn / light operation should resume on the right stick.

I hope that helps :)

Thank you for replying so quickly! This is been very frustrating to me.  Thank you for replying so quickly! This is been very frustrating to me. Yes, I did release the stick back to the center position.  I have also just now discovered that the  running mode to revving mode switch that uses number 4 trim also does not function.  As a “newbie“ I do not know if or how to configure or  calibrate the trims .  Any further advice would be appreciated. Again, thank you for your reply. 

There should be something in the manual about initial setup and configuration.  The MFC needs to be told where the centrepoint, endpoints and max trim points are for your handset - it's possible that you need to run the setup steps.  The manual isn't 100% clear because Tamiya have chosen to cram so much info on one page, but the instructions should be on page 6.

Check that the REV/NOR switches on your handset are in the NOR position for all channels and that all trim levers are set to centre before you do this.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/media/files/56511-ml-461-2312.pdf