BIZBOB

Swapped out ESC but cuts off prior to full throttle

Hi guys

im struggling here! I’ve not built an RC for 25 years and now there are ESC’s instead of 2 servos. I have a Viper eco 27 which I’m running on a Tamiya DF-03 with a brushed motor and standard kit.

i took it back to the shop that I bought all of he electronics as it would only go in reverse! (Steering is and always has been fine), the chap in the shop said it was a dud and swapped for a new Viper eco 27.

so now I’m home. Everything works in reverse (if not a bit slow on the uptake) but when I go full throttle - NOTHING...... if I startin the middle and go slow to build up pace it works fine but I want to race! It seems if I go past 3/4 acceleration it cuts off. I’m stumped, annoyed and embarrassed as my 10 year old son thinks I’m thick 😂

any ideas or help please?

It could also be that your car is over overgeared, the motor is faulty or your batteries are a bit tired. The Mtroniks ESCs behave like that when the the current draw exceeds what they believe the battery can supply, triggering the low voltage cut out under heavy acceleration.

Im possibly wrong but does this esc require the throttle channel to be reversed like the tble02s does? I only noticed this when the car appeared faster in reverse than going forward (is reverse speed limited) When i eventually properly read the manual, swithched the transmitte channel and then calibrated it, it worked as described (ie much faster going forwards)

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

the ESC was calibrated in the shop yesterday hence why I’m confused.

the batteries are brand new, the motor is new as is all of the gears and it’s geared as per the spec and parts by Tamiya. There are no hop ups on it at all.

shall I try and switch to a different ESC?

6 hours ago, BIZBOB said:

the ESC was calibrated in the shop yesterday hence why I’m confused.

With your radio gear, or something they had in the shop? If the latter, you have to do it again with your radio gear because your radio may have different end points than the shop's radio. My thought is that when your transmitter is at 75% trigger, the ESC considers that to be 100% throttle because of how it has been calibrated. So the ESC simply gives up when you go full trigger as it is receiving what it considers to be way more than 100% throttle, which is an invalid signal. If that is indeed the problem, re-running the ESC calibration should fix it because the ESC will map full trigger to 100% throttle as it should be.

There may also be a secondary issue at play as Superluminal pointed out: if by 'working in reverse' you mean that when you move the trigger to the brake/reverse position on your transmitter the car drives forwards, you need to rectify that first by reversing the throttle channel on your transmitter. Simple transmitters usually have a switch labelled 'TH REV' or similar. Then go through the ESC calibration again.

Ok so I had a tinker last night.

stripped the rear diffs and checked all was in order, no issues there.

i swapped the wiring on the receiver and now if I press the left/right it goes flat out forwards and backwards! Up/down goes left/right!

when I return them to normal positions (the wires) it still acts unusually and won’t run properly  . . . 

This has got me totally bamboozled 🤔