whahooo

Gardenracetrack for 80s Cars

Hello,

inspired by that Topic: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/86979-my-midlife-crisis-backyard-rc-playground/&ct=1569174849

i want to build my own simple Racetrack for my Tamiyagarage.

Since i have no idea how to plan a Track by myself, i want to ask here for Help with the Layout.

I never was near i Racetrack, so i don`t know anything about a good layout.

My demands for a Racetrack are simple:

1.) It have to look Pretty (Flowers Stones, Decoration ect. will come, but that part could be managed by myself)
That means that not all of the Grass should be covered with Track, ther should be enough Space for Grass, Lavender, Conifeers and stuff like that.

2.) It has to be an allroundtrack for my simple RC`s (Grashopper, Hornet, Lunchbox, Blazing Star, Dirt Thrasher, DT-02, TL-01 Lancia Delta Integrale, Clodbuster, ect)
So it has to be flat. hmmm.... I mean, it has to be "Scale" so no big Jumps and Stuff like that (a 1 m high ramp scales down to 10 cm). Shure it is an offroadtrack but it is for simple RC Cars from the past. I don`t own any Clubracer...
I can build portable Jumpramps anytime.

3.) I Need help with the Layout to make a nice Tarck.

Here are some Pictures of the Garden and a Picture of the Parkinglot.
(The Parkinglod could be used for a Tarmacadaptation for a Rallytrack)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 1

PS: Is ist even Possible to Build a nice Track on that narrow Space?

I would be happy if i don`t have to mow the "Lawn" that often in the Future.

5.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 1

Great idea! I have a similarly-sized space that is really nothing but gravel and weeds. I tried to make it a race track, but never really got beyond the planning stage.

I think I can help you with the planning: first, get some graph paper, and draw the space to scale on the grid. Then you can start drawing a track. I would try to keep the lane of the track no less than 1 to 1.5 meters wide, so you have room for cars to pass each other. I think you have plenty of room there to make a good track.

Once you have a layout drawn, mark it out in the grass using some wooden stakes and rope. Then, you can drive around the track and see how you like it, before making anything permanent. If part of the track is too hard, or too easy, or just doesn't feel right, you can move things around and try again.

After you're happy with the track shape, then you can start planning the landscaping.

One more thing: You may want to build some sort of elevated driver's platform, especially if you put in some shrubs and flowers. You want to be able to see over them to see your cars. Just one or two steps up from the ground is probably enough.

Good luck!

• Like 3

I would jump straight in and layout some different track ideas with rope and wire tent pegs. Build some simple wooden ramps, nothing too elaborate. Then run it for a bit. That way you can try different layouts and lane widths without committing to digging the whole lot up needlessly. Making changes to it until you are happy to install something more permanent. 

• Like 3

Thanks for your Responses, this is still one of the best Webforums i know :D

Since i never ridden a a Racetrack, i dont know how many Turns, Corners, Straights and Crossings i should Put.

Does anyone have Sggestions for a Layout that brings some fun?

I don`t want to turn all the Grass into Track and i want to Decorate the Track. Is there any Suggestion of a nice Layout?

I think that all of my Cas burst to topspeed on a Distance from 5 to 6 meters...

11.thumb.jpg.fd49d820a8f8424d292f204bcbe419de.jpg

• Like 2

As a really rough guide most circuits include a fast straight, a technical section with hairpins and long corners with multiple apexes. Basically squared off corners that require just the right line to get good times. Look at real life rally cross circuits and you'll get some inspiration for a good buggy track. Jumps are a feature in rally cross. Exciting and fun to negotiate especially when put just before a corner. Don't try and incorporate all of these but choose what suits your cars and the location, use and work with the natural contours on the site.

• Like 1

As a side note, even a simple oval with banked corners,  maybe a chicaine and a jump thrown in will give you a buzz. When you and 2 or 3 friends are battling it out it gets serious real quick.

• Like 1

If you need any testdriver, I am coming over witha 6pack Schwechater ;)

• Haha 2

On 9/22/2019 at 2:27 PM, whahooo said:

1.) It have to look Pretty

Yep, that's #1 requirement from my wife too. (Except, she makes a very ugly track, all by herself).

9CtBsc4.jpg

I told her that herbicides will give Bambi a diarrhea.  She still succeeded in killing only the good grass for the 3rd year. <_<  (Don't worry, Bambi is fine. She only eats roses at our house, which is why you will never see any roses from the road. Bambi is a cute evil-rose-eater!)  

SAEwii4.jpg

Anyway...

It's good to see that people are making their own tracks. 

I'd say @78Triumph really inspired the world!  

As suggested, it would be a good idea to keep it flexible at the beginning.  Also, I have noticed that your track has "left, left, left, right" or "left, right, right, right."   If you want, you can open up one end.  Use a peg to turn about.  That way, you can go "A" one circle, and then go "B" next.  

a8a0aqi.jpg

Or move the loop-peg on the inside. 

H7lCrOy.jpg

This way, you won't be tired of turning one way.  

It sounds like a fun project.  Keep us posted.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Juggular said:

9CtBsc4.jpg

I told her that herbicides will give Bambi a diarrhea.  She still succeeded in killing only the good grass for the 3rd year. <_<  (Don't worry, Bambi is fine. She only eats roses at our house, which is why you will never see any roses from the road. Bambi is a cute evil-rose-eater!)  

She was building tracks with Roundup? She is a Bambi Killer ya? :o

• Haha 1

An alternative to RoundUp is a mixture of vinegar, water, and dish soap.  I'm not sure the exact ratio's, but I think 50:50 with shot or two of dish soap (I'm sure the recipe is on the www somewhere).  My wife tried it and, while it takes a week or so, it ended up completely killing the grass.

Time permitting I may start construction of my own crawler track.  I'm quite inspired by these backyard track posts.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Collin said:

She was building tracks with Roundup?

Fortunately, it wasn't Roundup.  It was something else.  First year, she killed the grass with vinegar.  I don't think she mixed any water.  Vinegar kills almost immediately.  It was excellent natural weed killer.  If the soil becomes too acidic, we could spray some baking soda after.  

For the next two years, she just wanted to do it quickly, instead of spraying every clover. 

Clovers are lovely!  Bees love clover flowers too!  Our neighbor, Suzy, said once, "oh, you've got a lot of clovers too."  Suzy loves my wife, so she didn't mean anything by it.  No need to go Inigo Montoya on Clovers.  Clovers all survived anyway.  

rrAomma.jpg

To me, the way it is now looks a bit worse than a lawn with some clovers. (And she had done it twice before)  Last year, I told her about the law suit against Roundup for lymphoma it caused to the users.  Which is why she snuck in a 40 pound bag on her own (as if doing it secretly doesn't cause cancer?).  I didn't mow this year, because I didn't want to be covered with it, just in case.  

I looked up the chemical she used.  It wasn't harmful to mammals and birds (unless large amount was eaten).  Impact on humans were unknown.  But even a tiny amount was deadly to fish, if some got washed down by the rain.  So Bambi probably didn't die.  But Nemo might have.  

ZNd8k1f.jpg

I wanted to leverage her deed to allow me to build a track, but no.  Her making ugly tracks is fine, me making a pretty RC track isn't fine?  Life is so unfair.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Finally i´ve made a Track that is fun to drive with a Wild One or a Scorcher.

rc.thumb.jpg.aba54a047853e63b436b11bb6c941c49.jpg

Now i have to flatten the very bumpy Track.

Sadly, it isn`t any fun to drive a DT-02 or a Top Fore, they are to fast and the dry Grass is to grippy for them...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a great! I started out with grass too and found there’s plenty of fun with a DT-03 on the right tyres and set up (plenty of weight up front!)

I ended up taking some grass up for a dirt track and it really increases the fun factor. I only have a few dirt kickers for the older cars as I am worried some bigger ramps will trash the cars in the long run. However, the draw back is more maintenance and slightly more permanence. I am growing up the borders with some flowers etc so it fits the garden aesthetic more for next year!

Keep going and I will follow for future reference. 

After reviewing your pictures, I believe I have the answer.  Thanks to Excel and MSpaint I have created the perfect course for this space.  :lol:

racetrack.png

• Like 3