Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

The old school race Clod

Anybody remember the old school Clod Buster racer? I was tossing together some Clod parts I had and wound up with this:

48777091388_bb3e06830e.jpg20190922_133609 by Scott Weiland, on Flickr

48777095893_61351e5af4.jpg20190922_133711 by Scott Weiland, on Flickr

Its far from complete and not dead-on accurate but the vibe is there. One of the first full aftermarket chassis for the Clod was the Sassy Chassis, an aluminum piece that mimicked the plastic tub. This was before the ESP Clodzilla 2 ladder chassis. The Clodzilla 1 chassis was actually one of these Sassy units drilled full of lightening holes. The shocks are kicked at a more progressive angle like the old ESP racing suspension kit. The servo is still center mounted and the gearboxes are old school 4-linked to the axle tubes, top and bottom. The Traxxas shocks would have to go for some Kyosho Golds and the Super Clod blue stuff should be original Clod red. Some Trinity paired Clod motors or even some Speedworks Monster Mash motors would look better than the HPI Firebolts. Still, the spirit's there. The snot green paint even works to a degree. I'm not sure if the truck will continue in this direction but for now, its cool. 

Looks good. I actually like the blue with the green & are those wheels gold chrome? Works for me. How’s the drive?

• Like 1

No, those are just some old mismatched chrome basher wheels I had knocking about. The rears, in particular, seem to have aged with a goldish tone about them. Its a tricky drive. The added weight of the chassis and hard body make the suspension work better. Its not bouncy at all. The 4 wheel steering is a bit tricky, making it tipsy with the higher COG. I'm going to reduce the amount of rear steer if possible. I can't eliminate it altogether as just front-steer makes for wide turns. Furthermore, if I went for CVDs up front to add more front steering (while locking the rear), the CVDS would widen the front track, which kills the retro look. Sway bar(s) might be in order too.

Looks great.  I love the old school heavy metal chassis.  As you said it makes the suspension actually work rather than the truck just bouncing around using the air in the tires for suspension.  Definitely a different driving style required, especially with the higher COG.  I haven't seen one of these in a while and all of my aluminum plate chassis are long gone...kind of makes me want to find another.

• Like 1