Grumpy pants

Modifying Tamiya Bodies?

I’ve been experimenting with a smashed up Scorcher shell, shaving wings, removing the rear engine cover and running boards etc- 

I probably should have asked before now 😂....however what are best techniques?

I have used a hot scalpel, hacksaw and dremel so far. 

All with some success but it’s not pretty. 

I use similar techniques on all my mods. , with the Dremmel I use the cutting wheels , and 2 sizes of drum sanders then finish off with small needle files , wood blocks wrapped with Halfords green medium grade paper , and some purpose made small hand blocks with quick change papers .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup - various hobby saws, Dremmel or scalpel followed by files, needle files and sandpapers of varying grades. Just don't try and take everything off in one go is probably the only advice I could give - always leave a nice buffer to sand and file away. Easy to take off, not so easy to put back on! ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd agree with all of the above especially the bit about cut on the thick side of any line and sand back! Wet and dry paper of different grades to get a good finish. Be careful with dremels. Easy to get carried away. Having said all of the above at least if you are doing non lexan bodies you can rebuild bits with plasticard and fillers such as Isopon P38 if you slipđŸ˜«

• Like 1

Great tips guys thank you.

The Dremel cutting wheel and leaving your myself some margin of body work outside of the cut line are the key points I picked up on.

And lots of sanding 👍

All the best

Simon 

For fine controlled cutting of ABS, try cotton thread :ph34r::ph34r: 

Mount the body to workbench, saw thru with thread. 

I take about 2' length, tie each end to an AA battery for handles.

Surprisingly effective, cleaner cuts than any power tool and quiet enough to work late night. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1