novicelad

CC-01 Rebuild and some shiny bits

Hello All

Been a long time since I have posted much, I guess because I haven't really had much to talk about that's relevant to the forum! 
So a while back i Picked up a Tamiya CC-01 chassis for not a lot of cash, on first impressions it looks new. But running it revealed a very noisy transmission, anyway I put it away but recently decided to strip down for a look see.

The main drive gears are all chewed up and its all built with plastic bearings, plus there is zero form of lube anywhere.

So I think what I am going to do is get new bearings all round as a matter of course and new set of gears, I am also looking at getting a proper 4 link set and probably new steering linkage

Steering Links https://ebay.to/2kOA1QL

Rear Setup https://ebay.to/2kZIIHJ

Might get some new wheels not sure yet and of course a decent body 

Couple of pics, one all together and one stripped

aCfblO3.jpg

CQciGQG.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, akuhon said:

Wise decision. replace the plastic bushings with ball bearings.

Cheers,.

Yup I have ordered all the bits up today so hopefully will have it all back together running very soon! 

• Like 1

Another cheap upgrade is to buy shims / spacers.

This chassis is notorious for its wobble. From axle, shaft, steering and gears 
Don't throw yet your plastic bushing. It might become handy to fix the wobble inside your axle. 

Sat down and used some spare ball bearings to rebuild the rear drive and lock the diff with some obligatory blutac, also removed wobble with plastic bushings.

tqF0rqu.jpg

Zw7yrFg.jpg

Bl3Aqw1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done.  

I used 2 smaller 850 bushings to do the same thing, but it looks like one 1150 bushing would have been a much better choice.  (I cannot believe Tamiya didn't include this in the manual, after almost 30 years of selling dozens of different CC01. Are they that desperate to sell extra gears?)    

Just out of curiosity, one side of the 850 looks flat?  

u4RvDpB.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

Well done.  

I used 2 smaller 850 bushings to do the same thing, but it looks like one 1150 bushing would have been a much better choice.  (I cannot believe Tamiya didn't include this in the manual, after almost 30 years of selling dozens of different CC01. Are they that desperate to sell extra gears?)    

u4RvDpB.jpg

Not sure just trial and error will look when I have it out next

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 2:18 AM, Juggular said:

Well done.  

u4RvDpB.jpg

An 850 bearing should be placed there (red arrow).

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys I didn't get a chance to look at the rear axle diff but did install the GPM 4 link.

Trouble is the GPM 4link does not come with Suspension mounts as standard, so i improvised/ bodged, I cut the ends off the original links and opened the hole up a bit allowing me to locate them. Then I used some cable ties to fix them in place, they are pretty solid and the suspension moves well, if it doesn't work when running then will get proper mounts but will do for now! 
Please don't judge me! :lol:

1LKkLXGl.jpg

sN98a8ul.jpg

LZ4RgHAl.jpg

gF1j6Hhl.jpg

• Like 1

You will need to buy the a separate suspension mount. I'm using GPM while other brands like YR and HR are nice too. The reason why I went with GPM is because it's simple and has several screw holes for finer adjustments.

umrcby9h.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicadraus said:

You will need to buy the a separate suspension mount. I'm using GPM while other brands like YR and HR are nice too. The reason why I went with GPM is because it's simple and has several screw holes for finer adjustments.

umrcby9h.jpg

Do you have a link to the mounts please? 

Thanks I have ordered some! 

In the  mean time I was lucky enough to get some cool wheels from a local chap on facebook, so I put in the new GPM steering as well last night and moved the suspension at the back.
It sits too high at the back though, probably because of my bodge! 

RnEL2Z5l.jpg

02C75OMl.jpg