March75

Anyone stripped a chrome body?

Hi All, 

I have a Midnight Pumpkin chrome edition that has been run and looking worse for wear. I intend to retire it to the shelf with a new paint job but need to strip off the chrome plating and do some repairs first. I've had success in the past with stripping chrome with household bleach but also had other attempts fail to touch it so I'm guessing there are two plating methods in play.

Anyone successfully stripped a  Brat/Clod/Pumpkin etc chrome edition? 

Cheers! 

Simon 

I'd have suggested bleach for normal plateing but no experience of this body!

• Thanks 1

Household Bleach! 
Cover the car in a couple of sheets of kitchen roll then drench it all in bleach & leave it to sit for half an hour (the kitchen roll helps retain the bleach & keep the shell wet).

After 30 mins remove the kitchen roll & scrub with an old toothbrush to remove the stubborn bits of chrome. Then rinse with water.

Done this on loads of chrome parts & it works really well 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

I've stripped a couple of chrome bodies. Soaked them in oven cleaner (the thick gel stuff in the orange box) followed by a run through the dishwasher.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all - I'll be buying a couple of liters of bleach on the way home and giving it a try!

If that does not work the oven cleaner approach should. I tried to bleach on a chrome Twin Detonator roll bar and it didn't touch it, but the oven cleaner removed it after an overnight soak.

• Thanks 1

I've successfully used Fairy Power Spray (oven cleaner) to remove chrome from Tamiya two-part wheels, though you've got to be aware that a clear primer may be used under the plating and this is more difficult to remove without scrubbing and soaking in bleach!

On 9/23/2019 at 7:56 PM, martinjpayne said:

I've successfully used Fairy Power Spray (oven cleaner) to remove chrome from Tamiya two-part wheels, though you've got to be aware that a clear primer may be used under the plating and this is more difficult to remove without scrubbing and soaking in bleach!

After a day of Mr Muscle I’m down to the clear primer. Scrubbing it is!

• Haha 1