Sign in to follow this  
Mad Ax

CC01 LiPo Battery Clip

I figured I'd try something simple for my first 3D printing project.  I've done a little bit of amateur vector graphics before (I do my own designs for my race cars) but never played with CAD.  This turned out to be the perfect project to get me started and help me streamline my workflow.

So, what is it?

Well, recently I got yet another CC01 with yet another missing battery clip.  Seriously, what do people do with these clips??  Why is it every time I buy a CC01 or similar it comes without the battery clip..??

As I was about to get started with the design, I realised I could go a step further.  Everybody knows the problem with CC01s and the like is that the stock battery clip won't fit over modern LiPos.  So I figured I'd make an offset clip that would work.

That isn't this design.  If that's what you want, tag me in a reply here and I'll see if I can be bothered to modify this design.

The reason I didn't build that is because I have some Core RC batteries that are the same size as Tamiya stick packs.  They fit perfectly in everything.  So, no need to make an offset clip.  However, one of my pet hates with the CC01 clip is that the battery lead always pokes into the lexan and distorts the shell.  Seriously, there's no point in having a fine-looking body if it's all twisted by the battery, so, I thought I'd make a clip with an offset leg that will hold the wire back out of the way.

I went through half a dozen iterations and uncountable test prints before I ended up with a serviceable product, and here it is:

resizer.aspx?uid=15729&w=1100&h=&pic=img

Three successful prints.  OK, one of them has a slight distortion in the clippy leg, not sure why, my guess is it twisted on its supports as all the others are OK.  No bother, it's perfectly serviceable like that.

Battery fitted, leads held back out of the way.

Here you can see the clip doing its thang.  Now that I know a bit more about the properties of my resin, I think I could have made the legs thinner.  As it is, it just about touches the shell, but not as bad as the stock wires did.  Also I'm using a large R-clip which touches the shell - a smaller one would be better.  And you can see that, due to the mounting holes in the chassis being a bit short, there is some twist in the clip - it could be better, but exactly how to make it so, I don't really know.

If you want to make one of these, you can download the file from here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3879684

If you want to use this with longer LiPos, you should be able to trim 1-3mm off the back of the clip.  Remember to leave the locating lugs full width otherwise the clip will twist and touch your shell.

Pic above is of a Land Cruiser body.  I'm not sure how much clearance there will be on other bodies.

Bonus pic - some test prints hanging off my build plate:

• Thanks 1

Neat gizmo!

I've been running turnigy shorty square packs in XCs... they won't come out thru the side, they sit in the tray and get clamped down by the MSC tray. 

• Like 1