Sign in to follow this  
TrueBlue

Boomerang Front Dogbone Issue

Hm, I may as well make this site my home away from home at the moment!

Further issues with my (fathers) Boomerang. This time involving the front dogbones and/or uprights... presumably. When the front wheels are facing straight forward, all seems fine and good. However, as soon as you turn left or right it seems as though the dogbones are somehow catching on the inside of the wheel hubs. 

If I'm turning left, the right wheel catches and shudders. If I'm turning right, the left wheel does the same. It's the outside wheel when turning that has the issue. It only happens on full steering I think, or at least close to. I know that the problem is at the wheel end, as I've rotated the wheels without the dogbone connected to a wheel, and there was no catching or shuddering. At full throttle, it looks and sounds like the shuddering will easily cause something to break, it's that bad.

Everything has been built correctly to my knowledge. I've read, read and re-read the manual countless times but I cannot see anything out of place. The dogbones do have an unusual amount of movement though, and there are no rubber seals or anything that go inside the axle hubs that prevent movement. The only things is that I do not know which uprights he used... the ones on the sprue or the ones on their own. Other than that, all seems good.

I'm gonna try and make a video at some point to help demonstrate this, as it's hard to put into words. Anyone with a re-re Boomerang had this issue? Did they fix it? Help?

This sounds like the re-release?

I had this issue in 2008 with the first re-issue, Tamiya decided to use thundershot shafts all around, I discovered it's better to use re-release hotshot drive shafts, the fronts are slightly shorter (if I remember correctly) and solve the issue.

It's a query that crops up here every now and then!

It is indeed the re-release Boomerang.

So in theory, using Hot Shot front drive shafts should help reduce (or eliminate) the front wheel wobble? Hmm, no problems getting a pair of Hot Shot front shafts on eBay. I'll give that a go and see what happens when they're fitted!

I've tried searching on here for such a problem, but unless I'm just using the wrong words, I can never find any topics about it.

22 hours ago, TrueBlue said:

there are no rubber seals or anything that go inside the axle hubs that prevent movement.

That's it.  

[1]  You could get 4 O-rings, and put each on 4 cups on the front.  Or just 1 for each cup on the wheel axles.   Some of the Tamiya buggies ask for 2 Orings in 1 cup.  Test out to see what's best.  Make sure that they don't bind at mid point of arm swing, because that's the shortest point.  

[2]  You could get pink urethane thing Tamiya sells, but these are just as hard as o-rings; difficult to compress, won't bounce back easily.  After spending $6 to get these things, I decided not to use them.  

RndjWVF.jpg

[3]  For maximum compressability, I made tapered springs out of ball-point pen springs. But I worry about durability.  

KTFyS7E.jpg

[4]  Or you can get a pair of universals. 

As @dannymulder had done, the pivoting point of the universal must be right between the king pins.