Sign in to follow this  
Mad Ax

Clod Buster servo mount

Download it here:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3882132

I abandoned my 4S Mod Clod project around 2 years ago because I couldn't get it to drive straight.  The axle-brace mounted servo mounts I had were no good because they interfered with the 4-link, and when I re-drilled them to go on the forward transmission case screw holes they flopped around too much and kept bending the screws.  I realised after some close inspection that what I needed was a similar mount, but braced against the axle brace screw hole.

And here it is!

An early prototype here:

resizer.aspx?uid=15729&w=1100&h=&pic=img

suffered due to insufficient material around the brace mount, and cracked during drilling

Redesigned version fitted perfectly and had curves and bracing to strengthen the rear mount, but the sidewalls were too narrow to drill into for the servo mounting holes

Final version here.  Plenty of bracing around the rear, and some webbing added to the design to negate the need for supports on the mounting lugs.  (The webbing on the rear brace still needed a support).

img15729_926201992228_1_1100_.jpg

I chose not to add the holes to the design purely because I was never happy with my measurements.  Besides, it's not that much hardship to mark and drill them in the press.  I went for 2mm holes.  Tamiya self-tapping screws went in with a bit of effort.  Could probably have had better results with 2.5mm holes.  I notice the threads pull quite easily, although this print was completed less than 24 hours ago so may not be fully cured yet.

img15729_926201992228_2_1100_.jpg

Not a great photo but shows how the mount is designed to fit around the contours of the transmission case

img15729_926201992228_3_1100_.jpg

Fitted:

img15729_926201992228_4_1100_.jpg

Nice

img15729_926201992228_5_1100_.jpg#

Time for a run - first run in two years!

I haven't punished these mounts at all yet - literally just had a quick blast down the lane and back.  The truck is definitely better than it was, although my Kimbro servo savers aren't tough enough to stop the rear axle wobbling around.  At least now it's the servo savers and not the mounts that are the problem.  I will try to give it a more serious bashing when I can, after the resin has cured a bit more.

Feel free to download / modify / enjoy at your leasure.

• Like 1