Sign in to follow this  
xela1bg

Noob questions about my first car

Hello guys,

I’m new here looking for my first RC car. I think finally I chose my candidate - Nissan GT-R Drift TT-02D. Well, I was looking for BMW E30 body (my first car) but I couldn’t find it new. 

I will buy NiMH battery and cheap charger. Then I would think about NiPo upgrade. 

This kit include ESC TBLE-02S with Sport Tuned Brushed Motor.

Which I think it is a good starter pack :) 

I have 3 questions:) 

I see that TBLE-02S doesn’t have low power cut-off for LiPo battery. Is there a workaround about that if I decide to upgrade the battery type or I have to change the ESC as well?

I want this car mostly for drifts, but can I run it on grass? 

Is it worth to upgrade the Sport Tuned Brushed Motor to brushless 10.5T motor with 2S LiPo battery? And keep everything else the same.

Thank you! 

BR

2 hours ago, xela1bg said:

I see that TBLE-02S doesn’t have low power cut-off for LiPo battery. Is there a workaround about that if I decide to upgrade the battery type or I have to change the ESC as well?

There are Lipo Alarms you can purchase to use with ESC that don't have cutoff's.  They are relatively inexpensive and just use the balance plug on the battery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok I get it, there is a difference between cutoff switch and buzzer alarm. The alarm is good enough. Thank you! 

The TBLE02S isn't that happy with 10.5t motors, but runs sweetly with 13.5 motors around 3000-3300kv. With brushless you can massively increase the gearing because of the torque of the motor. My 13.5t brushless rally car runs around 5.8 final drive ratio and it flies, but the motor would easily pull gearing as low as 4.5. Check the gearing chart in your manual

• Thanks 1

Cutoff would be nice, but I have not seen any cut-off-only gadget. 

[1]  As @Jonathon Gillham said, the simplest way is to know how long it takes for the battery to run down.  This is quite possible because LiPo capacity tends to be large like 5000mAh.  If it takes 40 minutes to cutoff voltage, just run it for 30 minutes.  It would be better to have an alarm anyway to know exactly when the cutoff would be.  (It costs from $1 from China, to about $3 at Hobbyking)   Use it once or twice to know how long the battery lasts from full charge.  After you know how long it takes, just run it for 10 minute less.  

[2]  Plug in the alarm every time.  That's prudent. But a bit of a chore.  (You can hot-glue it near the battery compartment so you won't leave it in your pocket.)  

1pdvw9u.jpg

[3]  or buy Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 ESC (for about $16).  It has both NiMH cut off and LiPo cut off. 

Just connect those two pull tabs for your battery type.  Unlike TBLE02S, it can run faster (brushed) motors like Super Stock.  It cannot run brushless at all.  And as @ThunderDragonCy said, TBLE02S is good for about 13.5t (which is still considerably faster than Sport Tuned).  If you try running a 10.5t in the summer, it will likely to cut off (heat cutoff, not voltage cutoff).  

f9il0Xo.jpg

If you are drifting, 10.5t is too fast anyway.  You won't get much out of it.  

If the grass is really short? And if you have tires for it, TT02d could possibly run on grass.  But it's got short arms and low to the ground.  So it's really not designed for rough surfaces.  Rally chassis like XV01 could do both some rough surfaces and flat surfaces.  Of course there are TT02B chassis with longer arms that are buggies, so the mechanism itself isn't the problem.  It's the length of arms and the ground clearance.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your time and your answer guys! You helped me a lot. 

I would have to read the last message once again to be sure that I got it right but I know what to do now and what would be my future updates.