Saito2

Satisfying purchases

The opposite side of the coin to purchases regretted are those that satisfy. These are the ones you buy going in blind (without earlier experience of a particular model) happily assemble and then are impressed during the test drive. In recent times, this would be the re-release Optima for me. I knew the original Optma's importance in the history books and I knew Kyosho re-res were top drawer stuff having the Scorpion in my collection, but I really didn't know much more. The construction was a delight. It surprised me how much of the earlier Scorpion's design language made it into the Optima. It still has a lot of old-school Kyosho feel. There were plenty of little features and clever/thoughtful design elements that flat out impressed me. The drive was equally impressive, easily blowing away the Tamiya buggies of the era I was accustomed to. Overall, I love/loved it. 

Back in the day, the Vanquish I got for Christmas was a real treat. I was lucky to spot it on closeout for $99 because there was no way I was getting a $224.99 regular priced Vanquish for Christmas. That was Clod Buster money back then. I wanted an Avante and the Vanquish was as close as I got. I tore into the build Christmas night, delighted to assemble my first ball diff in the first few steps. It was unlike any Tamiya I had at the time (the Fox probably being my most advanced kit at the time). The build was complex and satisfying but not frustrating, bringing a real sense of accomplishment at the completion stage. The drive was no let-down either.  It handled great compared to my other cars and could minimally keep pace with the Mids I bumped into occasionally back then. Makes me smile just thinking about it. How about you? Ever go in blind and come out smiling?

• Like 1

One of my most satisfying purchases was a TNX.  One of the early models (not a 5.2r) when monster truck racing was a thing.  My previous nitro experiences consisted of a nitro 4tec and Tmaxx.  I never had any luck keeping either of them running for long and was always fiddling with something on them.  The TNX was a whole different story.  Started first time every time I put the starter wand to it.  I found it to be so much more satisfying than I expected.  Really changed my mind about nitro.

Tamiya Heavy Dump Truck (GF-01 chassis). Turned out to be an incredible overall package of design, appearance, driving characteristics, etc. A child in the family was adamant that he wanted a dump truck, so I was forced to overcome my objections and go with it. I was not keen on any aspects of the kit: heavy plastic body held way up high, integrated gearbox/chassis with plastic gears and no slipper, friction shocks, strange aspect ratio, etc.

Now that I've built the kit and driven it, I am a believer. It is an amazing design. It has been maintenance-free under extremely harsh conditions (example: a 5-yr old who doesn't understand that he should let go of the trigger when the truck is stuck against an immovable object). Driving characteristics are not only wonderful for a child (very forgiving, tight turning radius, ample traction with 4wd) but even enjoyable for someone whose fleet includes Tekno race truggies.

After a few months, I decided to throw a full brushless set-up into the dump truck, and even that worked beautifully. I am still astonished that everything is in good working order after sand, surf, water, dirt, and brushless+lipo power (3s no less). Now, I have of course reverted to a normal motor (still brushless, but extremely low kv - 1700).

I actually wish my "big kid" buggies were as maintenance-free and durable (with their commensurately higher power) as this vehicle.

Fantastic vehicle, and all the more so because I expected it to be a glorified toy-grade truck. I think this is one example of what Tamiya is the very best at producing - something that delivers more enjoyment and smiles than more expensive, complex, or powerful vehicles.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

The opposite side of the coin to purchases regretted are those that satisfy. These are the ones you buy going in blind (without earlier experience of a particular model) happily assemble and then are impressed during the test drive. In recent times, this would be the re-release Optima for me. I knew the original Optma's importance in the history books and I knew Kyosho re-res were top drawer stuff having the Scorpion in my collection, but I really didn't know much more. The construction was a delight. It surprised me how much of the earlier Scorpion's design language made it into the Optima. It still has a lot of old-school Kyosho feel. There were plenty of little features and clever/thoughtful design elements that flat out impressed me. The drive was equally impressive, easily blowing away the Tamiya buggies of the era I was accustomed to. Overall, I love/loved it. 

Back in the day, the Vanquish I got for Christmas was a real treat. I was lucky to spot it on closeout for $99 because there was no way I was getting a $224.99 regular priced Vanquish for Christmas. That was Clod Buster money back then. I wanted an Avante and the Vanquish was as close as I got. I tore into the build Christmas night, delighted to assemble my first ball diff in the first few steps. It was unlike any Tamiya I had at the time (the Fox probably being my most advanced kit at the time). The build was complex and satisfying but not frustrating, bringing a real sense of accomplishment at the completion stage. The drive was no let-down either.  It handled great compared to my other cars and could minimally keep pace with the Mids I bumped into occasionally back then. Makes me smile just thinking about it. How about you? Ever go in blind and come out smiling?

I second the optima, i was hesitant because in the 80s the instructions were a nightmare. I had a cousin and a friend who had a big brute and an ultima who said how god awful they were. Also some shops said the same.  My build of the optima was the total opposite, unfortunately my re re optima i have to strip down. I have some dirt and sand in the gears which slipped through the plastic cover under into the belt. Only negative is to get to the gearboxes you have to tear the entire car down. 

Next would be the egress. It is a beautiful car which went together easily. I was worried since i had an avante as a kid that i would have the same issues. Instead the egress is a joy to drive and super smooth. 

Most of my satisfying purchases were early in the hobby for me as I was trying lots of different chassis to get a feel for what I liked.  I started in the hobby in 2010 and don't have any real nostalgic feelings hooking me; I'm more of a tinkerer and this is an outlet to better myself.

• A DB01 Durga was the second RC I ever built, and it really satisfied me.  I was impressed with the quality of the plastics (compared to the first RC, a DF03 Dark Impact), liked the standard parts included in the kit, impressed by how quiet the belt drive was, and enjoyed bashing it both in the dirt and in the street.  Even the standard springs included in the kit were better fits for the CVAs than the Dark Impact's setup.
  • An Associated B4 Factory Team really satisfied me as well.  I bought a kit on closeout from Tower Hobbies as the B4.1s were coming out, and it was a huge step up from the DT02 Sand Viper I previously built.  Race-grade, reasonable at $170, felt nearly telepathic to drive.  Suddenly, I "got it."  Once, my dad was looking over my collection and asked if I could choose only one car, which would it be?  I pointed to the B4 FT and it surprised him as it wasn't the most impressive looking, but he understood once I described the driving experience.
  • TB03 kits were a big step up from TT01Es; I was hooked immediately.  Ball bearings, oil dampers, turnbuckles, lots of adjustments for ride height/droop/wheelbase/roll center/camber/toe/etc.  It's my nature to want to define and control things tightly, and the TB03 gave me lots of levers to adjust.  Even after a fresh build, driving it in the street against a TT01R Type E showed it had more potential immediately available.
  • After building some Lunch Boxes, building a Super Clod, and running some Wheely Kings the vehicle I was really satisfied with was the CR01 Unimog.  I overdid it and bought way too many hopups for the build, but philosophically I just appreciate the majority use of machine screws, lock nuts, thread locker, metal chassis rails, nice axles and diffs, good plastics, etc.  It definitely feels like an Erector Set vehicle with lots of modification potential.

In hindsight the most satisfying purchases for me were the mid-level kits; they had better materials, more standard equipment, and more adjustments available than the entry-level kits, but they weren't as pricey as the full race kits.  There was no need to replace pinions, plastic bushings, spring holders, upper arms, motor mounts, etc. with "hopups" by default.  Generally you can count on a DN01/DB01/TA05/TB03/FF03/CR01 to be a pleasure to build and reasonably robust to drive.

Most satisfying and most used...my Lunchbox.

Always wanted one as a young boy, this hero didn't and still doesn't disappoint. Cheap, incredibly tough and most of all puts a grin on my face every time I run it.

It makes me feel like I'm 9 years old....priceless.

• Like 3

I wouldn't say I have been dissatisfied with any of my RC car purchases so far, but for me, the most satisfying has been the F103. Initially bought due to peer pressure so I could go racing with my mates, I found it to be an absolute delight, incredibly crisp and precise, able to seemingly defy physics in the corners, very much still on the pace compared to modern gear despite its age. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

incredibly crisp and precise, able to seemingly defy physics in the corners,

That is what I would like to build next, but I don't have access to any tracks near me... so is there a chassis that can deliver really exceptional (physics-defying) corner performance *on normal streets* that are not prepared in anyway? The streets near me are not filthy or even particularly dirty, but they're 'streets' so of course they have dust and grit and so forth.

I am working on tuning an XV-01 right now... we'll see how tightly I can get it to turn.

11 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

In hindsight the most satisfying purchases for me were the mid-level kits; they had better materials, more standard equipment, and more adjustments available than the entry-level kits, but they weren't as pricey as the full race kits.  There was no need to replace pinions, plastic bushings, spring holders, upper arms, motor mounts, etc. with "hopups" by default.  Generally you can count on a DN01/DB01/TA05/TB03/FF03/CR01 to be a pleasure to build and reasonably robust to drive.

This hits the nail on the head. I only have one mid level kit, the TA07, but the build was really nice and the performance is so close to a race level kit but for under half the price. Even the rere kits seem a lot better than modern entry level.

Funnily enough thougn for me the most satisfying are either entry level or race level. It would be a toss up between my HB D418 which replaced my Lazer ZX6 and immediately cut 2 secs a lap off with the same electronics. The other would be the pair of TT02B which I bought a few years ago as the re-entry into RC and they have given pretty much flawless service and started this whole thing.

However, a DB03 would be appreciated....

• Like 1

My G6-01 Konghead is shockingly fun. The build was great with the ten million gears and bearings, and I liked setting up the 4WS. The body is ugly and silly, and somehow suits the truck perfectly. At bash events, it seems like everyone drives it all over and loves it. I'm pretty sure that half the people in Dallas have driven it.

The MF-01X has been a real pleasure, too. It's taken plenty of beatings and stayed together well, it's designed well and has a lot of different ways to set up. Just plain fun.

XV-01 chassis are my absolute favorite of all time. Immensely flexible, run well on all surfaces, durable, and interesting. The quality is very high, and they are forgiving to drive. It's like the chassis for the man who really appreciates RC.

• Like 1

I know 

I KNOW, its not Tamiya....

Had a T Maxx back in the day and was so frustrated with trying to set up the poxy motor/Fuel

BUT got a Traxxas Stampede as a basher to replace my WT-01 and LOVED it. we have 3 now, me and the two eldest use em as bashers. I was not to hopeful after my experience with the T Maxx.

In terms of long-term satisfaction, it has to be my CC01 Pajero and my Associated RC10LSS. Both have had many lives already, both are still intact, and both are set to receive some attention in future builds, though I haven't quite decided which way I'm going with the CC01 yet. (Current thinking is 2WD, Class 8 Baja racer...)

The "pleasant surprise award" goes to the Honda City Turbo. I expected it to be a trifle, just a bit of silly fun and a shelf-mate for the Wild Willy 2, but it has turned out to have a character all its own, and far better driving dynamics than I would have guessed.

Here are some of my satisfying purchases...

In the late mid-late 80s, I had a Subaru Brat, converted to a Frog ( a hand-me-down from my brother), I have always wanted to upgrade to a better 2WD buggy. My choice was the Wild One but unfortunately, it was never available locally and I could only drool whenever I see it in the catalogs. I needed a competitive racer because the Frog couldn't keep up with the RC10s and Ultimas during races. In 1990, I saw the newly released Astute at a local hobby shop nearby our area. I had enough money so I bought it. It was a dream come true. I later upgraded the shocks to aluminum gold ones (same as used by the Avante). Though I never had a chance to own the Wild One, I still want it.

Another satisfying purchase was from last year. I bought two FF-03 kits for $200. One was a Pro while the other a stock. Both kits were assembled. The Pro was never used while the the stock was still very fresh. I slowly re-built and modified the Pro little by little until I completed my goal of aluminum, carbon fiber and carbon reinforced parts, for almost a year. I have also purchased another kit for spares.

Good question @Saito2

Most satisfying purchases are when my kids ask for a kit or part ... and I can answer then sort - whatever it is !

Vintage is fun / easy, new (or re re) occasionally has me sweating ...

It makes me feel like my Dad when I first got into all this 40 years ago 👍

Beyond that, the most satisfying stuff for me personally is increasingly weird tbh ...

I’ve re-discovered vintage boxed / built, restored (then run) a few and am now growing a modest collection of 70s / early 80s NIB.

But for all of them it’s still the details that make things fun.

The right box, manual, sprues, battery, chargers ?

Period correct r/c - Macgregor, Futaba, Acoms or Sanwa / Airtronics ?

Catalogue correct hop ups - in old style packs like we bought at the time of purchase for NIB ?

Rare vintage optional decals or bodysets ?

None of that is a value or investment thing btw - it’s because I fully intend to build the whole lot when I eventually retire ... and do it like I dreamed of as a kid ! 

I mean why not right ?

To give examples, my recent best to date is a Porsche 936 alt 908 body set that I found for a bargain price 😬

My worst sought after ‘miss’ would be a vintage NIB Futaba FP T2F wheelie from Japan - which I lost because one of my kids threw up ...

So sort of a circular reply gents 😂

On 9/28/2019 at 6:09 PM, smirk-racing said:

Tamiya Heavy Dump Truck (GF-01 chassis). Turned out to be an incredible overall package of design, appearance, driving characteristics, etc. A child in the family was adamant that he wanted a dump truck, so I was forced to overcome my objections and go with it. I was not keen on any aspects of the kit: heavy plastic body held way up high, integrated gearbox/chassis with plastic gears and no slipper, friction shocks, strange aspect ratio, etc.

Now that I've built the kit and driven it, I am a believer. It is an amazing design. It has been maintenance-free under extremely harsh conditions (example: a 5-yr old who doesn't understand that he should let go of the trigger when the truck is stuck against an immovable object). Driving characteristics are not only wonderful for a child (very forgiving, tight turning radius, ample traction with 4wd) but even enjoyable for someone whose fleet includes Tekno race truggies.

After a few months, I decided to throw a full brushless set-up into the dump truck, and even that worked beautifully. I am still astonished that everything is in good working order after sand, surf, water, dirt, and brushless+lipo power (3s no less). Now, I have of course reverted to a normal motor (still brushless, but extremely low kv - 1700).

I actually wish my "big kid" buggies were as maintenance-free and durable (with their commensurately higher power) as this vehicle.

Fantastic vehicle, and all the more so because I expected it to be a glorified toy-grade truck. I think this is one example of what Tamiya is the very best at producing - something that delivers more enjoyment and smiles than more expensive, complex, or powerful vehicles.

Could not agree more. My 8 year old boy wanted one so badly and I tried to convince him he wanted a Wild One or FAV instead... very pleased he held strong and I capitulated. So much fun and the perfect first car for anybody (or 100th car for a 48 year old man!).

My DT-03.. First kit I bought after 20 plus years away. Was only £70 with all the hop ups from Tamico when the £ was worth something. Hasn't missed a beat in 3 years of use even with a strong brushless set up in it. Just wish Tamiya would release the black chassis for it as a spare part. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grotty Otty said:

My DT-03.. First kit I bought after 20 plus years away. Was only £70 with all the hop ups from Tamico when the £ was worth something. Hasn't missed a beat in 3 years of use even with a strong brushless set up in it. Just wish Tamiya would release the black chassis for it as a spare part. 

I'm with you on that. The DT-03 is so competent I wish I'd tried other ones first so I could have appreciated how good it is...

• Like 1