Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

Peugeot 306 maxi shell - chassis options that aren't FF02

There's a place in the uk that looks like it will be doing a repro of the 306 maxi shell soon. I have had a thing for this shell for years, so i am pretty excited, and as i don't have a fwd touring it sems fitting to go that way now. 

However (there was always going to be a however wasn't there?) FF02 are thin on the ground and i am not that fussed about running such an old and unloved chassis. Unfortunately a bit of reading up suggests that it won't fit an FF03 due to the short overhang, and @Truck Norris had to modify an FF04 to fit his shell, and i can't afford anything as spendy as an FF04 EVO anyway. So, couple of thoughts which may or may not work. Hopefully you learned people can help?

1) Do a 190/257 conversion to a M05. 3 Racing do a kit which is a bit spendy, to extend the wheelbase, then add tl01 arms and its done. Or i wonder if the TA02 K parts swept back rear arms would fit? That could take the 239mm M05 wheelbase to 259, and i am not concerned about a couple of mm. Not sure how i would mount the shocks though. 

2) Buy a XV01 roller and ditch the belt and rear drivetrain. Given the FF04 shares the transmission with the XV01 in theory this should work with minimal bumper installed, but it will be tight apparently. 

Any other ideas? 

2 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

FF01?

No idea, but if the FF03 doesn't fit then I would be surprised if the FF01 does. The FF02 is effectively front-mid-motor, the motor is behind the front axle.

13 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

The FF01 came with the Golf MK4 body which is very similar to the 306.

Impossible to say without dropping one on a car. I was hoping someone with a 306 and a few chassis might have some thoughts on this.

If you get stuck i have a spare NIP FF02 spacer here, just get a M03 and some TL01 arms, add this spacer, job done. 

• Thanks 1

@Juls1 Thank you. I have had my eye on M03s for exactly this reason. However, Control Freax have just done a run of repro shells including 3D printed plastic parts and decals, which i have ordered. They are on ebay if anyone is interested. No holes in the shell so hopefully i should have some more flexibility on fitting it to my TA06 or maybe an FF03 if i can pick one up. 

18 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Juls1 Thank you. I have had my eye on M03s for exactly this reason. However, Control Freax have just done a run of repro shells including 3D printed plastic parts and decals, which i have ordered. They are on ebay if anyone is interested. No holes in the shell so hopefully i should have some more flexibility on fitting it to my TA06 or maybe an FF03 if i can pick one up. 

You might want to have a look at MST' TCR ...

TCR.jpg

• Like 2

Hi,

Just wondering if you ever bought the L&L body kit and how you Got on with it

Regards,

Alan

• Like 1

Ta03r... More in the spirit of mid motor rally race cars like 205 t16 or r5 turbo of course.... BTW I also thought it'd fit a ff01... Other possibility might be tl01? Tb03? Lots of trf cars or ta07 msx which might be transformable into ff if you want (leave 1 belt away)... 

17 hours ago, APR91 said:

Hi,

Just wondering if you ever bought the L&L body kit and how you Got on with it

Regards,

Alan

Yes I did and I love it. I have run it on an FF03 and FF01 with no issues. The FF03 is tight and requires the removal of the foam bumper, but it works. I have just put it back on the FF03 lifted with some 60mm shocks. It's a lovely runner. 

20220226_162557

The photo reminded me - I also fitted the L and L lamp pod. Not sure I would recommend it. Ita little rough finished and hard to fit the lights to, and the lenses aren't very clear, but it's fun now it's on. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 9:08 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

20220226_162557

I also have an L&L body (but a different car) and the proportions are pretty good and the quality is decent - but mine, just like your 306, didn't come with window trim stickers. I added some by cutting black vinyl electrical tape into strips of varying thickness to replicate the different parts of the surrounds on all the windows. It totally transforms the look and makes it much more realistic-looking. I think the 306 would benefit from this treatment, too. 

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for your reply's.  I bought the body and I have to say I'm happy with it.  Got some white paint coming at the weekend and if the weather stays fine I'll get it painted and the stickers applied.  Not sure which chassis to put it on yet.  I'd love an original FF02 but they are getting scarce.  Thanks again - Alan

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, APR91 said:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply's.  I bought the body and I have to say I'm happy with it.  Got some white paint coming at the weekend and if the weather stays fine I'll get it painted and the stickers applied.  Not sure which chassis to put it on yet.  I'd love an original FF02 but they are getting scarce.  Thanks again - Alan

Great stuff. I have never run an FF02, but I love how my FF01 handle. They come up on ebay relatively often, but condition can be variable and unlike the FF02 parts are scarce. If you want a solid runner with plenty of spares an FF03 is the only option really. 

Well,

I won an FF02 on eBay last night so I'm eagerly awaiting its delivery.  I didn't win my first choice and there are quite a few issues with the chassis I won but I'm sure It'll all be OK in the end.  Now I need to start looking for the spares I know I'll need and see if they are still available and out there at reasonable prices.

I had an XR311 when I was a kid and then nothing until the early 2000's when my wife bought me a 306 Maxi for a birthday present.  I ran it and bashed it and eventually sold it on, but it started my collecting and now with over 40 cars the time is right to get one again and this time look after it properly.

Thanks for your help and advice.

• Like 1