Hello, i am new to more expensive rcs, and i made my first a flea market hotshot. Not sure if its a mk1 or mk2, but it came with pamphlets printed in 1985 for the nicad battery. I tried to fix the msc, but it still wont work, as soon as i plug in the battery, it just runs backwards even with the controller off. There is a considerable lip on one of the contact plates. Gear boxes and suspension seem good. I am looking to simply replace the old one with a modern esc. Also, i have a new motor that came with, is there any way to make sure that its a compatible power? I will post pictures this afternoon. Thank you all.

I think I would be tempted to put all the old kit to one side and buy some bargain radio gear, battery and speed controller. If the battery is any age its not likely to be much good anyway, and there are some bargains to be had.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldnewhotshot said:

I am looking to simply replace the old one with a modern esc. Also, i have a new motor that came with, is there any way to make sure that its a compatible power?

That depends on the motor and ESC.  

If it's brushed, Tamiya TBLE02S has 23t limit.  Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 would have a 12t limit.  

If it's sensored brushless, TBLE02S has about 13.5t limit.  

Sorry it has been a minute. I got her running. I am using a traxxas xl5 esc, a horizon hobby 20t dynamite 540, and a traxxas 7.2 3000 mah 6 cell nimh. Oh yeah and the original servo. Switched the rec/Transmitter to a nice generic chinese set. This thing is fast, and a lot of fun. Thank you guys for the advice to go new electronics. I hope to get a newer super hotshot at tax time and upgrade it beyond belief. I will post pictures later. 

5 hours ago, oldnewhotshot said:

Some pictures.

If you don't have the original manual, you can download it from Tamiyausa.

It's an older buggy, you should familiarize yourself with how it goes together and which items may be worn so that it can be repaired if and when something does break. 

Replacement parts trees and screw bags are still available new.