NobbySideways

Tamiya 58667 Audi Quattro TT-02 - First impressions

I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions on this chassis, I thought I would give mine...

1) Amazed that the Audi Quattro group B kit doesn't come with proper damped shocks. Maybe daft of me to assume it did. 

2) Running the Torque Tuned motor, stock speed controller and a 2S lipo gave me a far better turn of speed than I was expecting. Brushed battery life isn't great compared to brushless though is it...

3) The tyres are utterly unsuitable for anything other than tarmac. Bearing in mind its a Rally Shell I thought it would come with something a little more suitable. Will probably find something with a little more diameter to help with ride height.

4) The build was great, the Tamiya build manual is really easy to follow.

5) The body shell was a swine to sticker up. Very little in the way of guidelines to show me where the stickers had to go, and its only when you get further into the other stickers you realise the alignment of one you did early on is a few mm out.... even using water to slide the stickers into place doesn't help when the sticker you are trying to align up to was stuck ten minutes earlier... 

6) Suspension travel is pretty poor. I can't help but think this should be more clearly marked as primarily a road car. However on the road its a giggly hoot. Really enjoying blasting this up and down our street whilst the neighbours twitched their curtains looking at the 40 year old man child.

I'd like to get it to scoot over the close cropped grass on the park by our house a little more eagerly; I'll see how we do with a few mods. All suggestions welcomed. I have set the car up for the correct wheelbase and the taller ride height.

Good to hear your feedback. I have it but yet to start the build. Stickers get on my nerves so not looking forward to that!

The tamiya rally block tyres will give you more ground clearance and perform better on hard packed dirt and very short grass.

The TT02  will never be a true offroader but can be great fun in the right environment. 

• Like 1