Problemchild

Terra Scorcher Tidy Up

This was the first proper (non re-re) adult buy to rekindle my youth about 2yrs ago

in my eyes then it was gorgeous and in great condition and tbh it was really nice but it’s still a tiny bit dirty and looking at it with my new falcon build eyes it needs some work.

This is how it came...

3nkl1fJ.jpg

(realises it was over 3yrs ago while trying to find the pic)

the shell was/still is in good condition - just some misplaced stickers and some over spray 

RdAxxR7.jpg

and has clearly had a few extra coats to cover up damage 

DP2sXlb.jpg

(sorry it’s an awful pic)

and the mechanicals are all in great condition, just a tiny bit dirty and greasy

EwuyyWl.jpg

F9460Re.jpg

JJ

• Like 1

So I stripped the front and rear quarters from the tub and just put the whole unit into the sonic cleaner :)

dULv51N.jpg

5LRSWC7.jpg

then just gave everything a huge clean and brush with a toothbrush (I love grabbing hotel toothbrushes as they are perfect for cleaning RC cars)

there wasn’t loads of dirt and grime but they still came up so much better 

now refitted front and rear and looks fab

5hCApXL.jpg

sydB2Us.jpg

JJ

Finally (for today) I decided to refresh the driver.

he was painted and looked in the same vein as the shell - fine but not great

opwe82z.jpg

matching bright red helmet

so instead of trying to strip the paint or buy a new one (I know it’s only £8 on eBay) I went for something different...

Gave it a few coats of matte black 

z9PxUV7.jpg

Then repainted 

head got a coat of matte grey first then a pale blue overlay (leaving the foam inside of the helmet grey)

the body got the same matte grey overalls, steering wheel stayed the matte black (by added a grey centre screen to the wheel and a red centre stripe) as did the gloves and the harness (but with the addition of red buckles)

i also added some red switches to the console. I have some dash decals left from the comical hornet so will incorporate these also when I’ve worked out how/where)

dmb30Ys.jpg

I also gave the heat shield for the resistor a quick polish with some wet/dry first then some metal polish 

XJdh6tN.jpg

B4paP8J.jpg

JJ

• Like 1

I have a new shell and decals on the way - they may take a week or so to arrive though..... watch this space.

ita also worth noting that I’d forgotten how complex this chassis is with its anti roll bars and CV front drive shafts 

JJ

Yeah defo stock. It already has ball races (not having one from new I don’t know if that was standard) and the new shell and decals will be done as per box art (hopefully)

stickers and shell on way from Canada now - yay!

got the standard paint from eurocarparts - £6 dhl next day - wow

Once painted, it can hang back on the wall with the others 👍🏻

JJ

21 hours ago, Seanster43 said:

Excellent details especially on the driver.  You keeping this stock? 

agreed. looks mint!

20 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Yeah defo stock. It already has ball races (not having one from new I don’t know if that was standard) and the new shell and decals will be done as per box art (hopefully)

stickers and shell on way from Canada now - yay!

got the standard paint from eurocarparts - £6 dhl next day - wow

Once painted, it can hang back on the wall with the others 👍🏻

JJ

the car came standard with ball races, cva's, adjustable suspension and steering bits. the terra scorcher was my first rc. i didn't realise how spoilt i was!

when i bought my second tamiya rc a decade later it was a Whats that all about then? moment when i first saw those plastic bushings and how simplified the suspension was...

...you'll probably get your shell before i do. mine was shipped aug 20 and am still waiting. neighbour must think i'm nuts checking my postbox thrice a day... though the mci stickers have already arrived.

impressive paint work with the driver! i doubt i have the dexterity. i need to update my thread... got a rolling chassis now.

The driver was easy - just need to do things in order 

paint blue eye

paint pink face 

paint whole helmet grey

paint blue 

if you try and butt up paint against paint it’s gonna look bad

like when you paint a room in your house

paint ceiling white and don’t cut in - just overlap onto walls - then cut in wall paint 

this is only my second person to paint 

my first one was the comical hornet guy 2 months ago

SOI2g27.jpg

0uOh3WL.jpg

JJ

• Like 3

So I received my MCI decals for the terrascorcher 

colour match is pretty good 

r0357os.jpg

(hard to tell on a set of stickers that are over 20yrs old)

however, as others have pointed out, the writing is not as per the original (it’s almost like it’s been made bold instead of standard font)

OiyUZNG.jpg

eYXofuK.jpg

I spoke to nathaneal at MCI and he was surprised as no one had mentioned this before so I supplied him with the original image and he’s going to tweak the design and I’ll get another set 

An awesome company to deal with and great quality 

looking forward to getting this one going 

JJ

• Like 4

So my new shell got held at customs - £3 import duty, £8 handling fee (coming from Canada). Let’s hope all the European companies have their paperwork in place for brexit as this could get expensive :(

JJ

On 10/15/2019 at 11:32 AM, Problemchild said:

So my new shell got held at customs - £3 import duty, £8 handling fee (coming from Canada). Let’s hope all the European companies have their paperwork in place for brexit as this could get expensive :(

JJ

well at least you got yours already... getting a wee bit worried mine hasn't turned up yet (shipped 20 Aug). i didn't get a tracking number either...

the large side stripes are a FUTTER to fit.....

I had to use a hair dryer on mine to try and remove the worst of the bubbles. 

Its a great buggy and yours is as near as mint barely run as you will likely find.

Painted mine red and used black marker for the BLACK sections

20190105_120220

Mine needs a tidy up and clean but amazing what a new body and some tire polish does.

20190105_121827

• Like 1

That looks v nice :)

I note you’ve created a rear window ... looks cool

got to mask the windows on mine - thank god they invented masking kits for the newer cars 

JJ

MCI who do the stickers should have window masks (separate purchase)

• Like 1

Should have looked for them :(

anyway - shell is coming on ok.

Out of the box it looks v nice 

Tvmkbdm.jpg

thickness of the lexan does vary across the shell though but it’s still a good shell.

i drilled the rear deck lid for the resistor and the mounting points. I decided I was gonna use black on the vents instead of the stickers so this will be my first proper attempt at using paint in place of stickers 

w0kZe98.jpg

NdYRfMH.jpg

done the first few coats of paint (realised though that the body that came with the car is metallic and the box art colour is matte) so will see how it looks in the morning 

JJ

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 3:22 PM, Problemchild said:

That looks v nice :)

I note you’ve created a rear window ... looks cool

got to mask the windows on mine - thank god they invented masking kits for the newer cars 

JJ

I take its not supposed to have a rear window? oh well...lol

On 10/18/2019 at 12:22 AM, Problemchild said:

done the first few coats of paint (realised though that the body that came with the car is metallic and the box art colour is matte) so will see how it looks in the morning 

nice! keen to see the end result! how did you cut yours? i don't have lexan scissors... was planning to just score with hobby knife.

but yeah funny how this brings up old memories - thirty years ago, the guy from the hobby shop convinced me and my dad to go for the metallic blue. they actually painted the shell for us. good call because twelve year old me would have probably messed it up. my eyes were probably like saucers the first time i saw it - it looked stunning! so out of nostalgia i'll definitely go with the metallic again. just have to confirm whether it was the PS16 or PS59. at least i still have the wing to use as sample.

17 hours ago, Baddon said:

I take its not supposed to have a rear window? oh well...lol

Looking at the mould - I suppose it does. Mine as a kid didn’t and the current one I have doesn’t 

I didn’t even look at instructions TBH haha

did you use the masking kit?

this deep blue is stunning and yes, potentially metallic blue would look better but my neo scorcher is metallic blue and this one is supposed to be stock ;)

JJ

31 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

did you use the masking kit?

JJ

@Problemchild yes I did use the MCI window masks.....let me see if I still have the photos.

I did about 7 bodies over the Christmas holidays and took loads of photos, here it is

Shells and decals

yes there is a rear window in the window mask.

washed ready for paint with masks installed

20181226_130615

then below is after the first coat of paint (did same colour as the Fire Dragon)

20181226_131031

Then ready for decals to start going on

20190105_095010

cut out and ready to apply

20190105_104653

and done

20190105_121814

• Like 2

Finished off the shell today 

masking off to include the black side vents has worked out well...

53qxEok.jpg

NyZMytU.jpg

25Ec57j.jpg

as for the decals, they went on really well so big thanks to MCI for producing some absolute quality 

13zBlYZ.jpg

nVS6QKc.jpg

GAnEVMt.jpg

I’m just awaiting on the reworked Hi-Tech Tuned stickers :)

and the non metallic dark blue looks AMAZING

ZhdVMgy.jpg

Rko4Ihf.jpg

k5K1U0o.jpg

and is subtly different from the metallic 

NGceHTA.jpg

WB60cpI.jpg

i absolutely love it and so glad I did it :)

JJ

• Like 11